DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting HID - HALO - LED LIGHTING - UNDERBODY LIGHTING - TINTED/SMOKED/PAINTED TAILS - ETC.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-28-2013, 06:15 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:13
BlackHemiExpress is on a distinguished road
Default Projector .vs. HID (Which should I run)

I am about to purchase new projector headlights or hid for the lights I have now. I'm wondering what experiences my fellow member have had with each and what is more cost effective? What are the pros and cons of both?

Thanks

Mufflex DOD18M & Custom Intake tube w/air box mox
Diablo Intune DCX with Hemifever Tuning
Longtubes coming soon...
RIPP supercharger coming soon...
Sponsored links
Old 12-28-2013, 06:24 PM
R A M M S T E I N

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 Sport CC Hemi
Trim Level: Sportabulous
Color: White
Rep:580
RAM357 is a name known to allRAM357 is a name known to allRAM357 is a name known to allRAM357 is a name known to allRAM357 is a name known to allRAM357 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHemiExpress View Post
I am about to purchase new projector headlights or hid for the lights I have now. I'm wondering what experiences my fellow member have had with each and what is more cost effective? What are the pros and cons of both?

Thanks
So for clarity, when you say "purchase new projector headlights" do you mean retrofitting your truck with projectors that you in turn convert to HID's?

Or is that another option? It's what I'm looking at now since I have the projectors but desire HID's.`

* 2014 RAM Sport CC* BDS 6" Suspension* Fox 2.5 Coil-over front * Fox 2.0 rear & Pro-Ride 3" coil* 3.92 Gearing* Fuel hostages in 20x9 +1
37x12.5R20 Pro Comp Xtreme MT2
* Diablo Sport Trinity T1000 * Cabin Air Filter
* ARH LT headers * Magnaflow catback/5" tips * 87mm Ported TB * Moroso Polished Catch Can*_QTP_electric_cutout_&_3"_turn_down * Legmaker Short Ram * S&B custom filter * Outerwears Pre-filter * Extang Solid-Fold Tonneau

Old 12-28-2013, 06:26 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:2028
Arth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know what projector headlight you were going for but I recommend you have an HID projector dropped into your current headlights.

I purchased a set of 2013 Projector headlights and had a FX-R HID projector put in place of the stock halogen projector. The light output is great with a sharp cutoff so there is no glare.

Here is what I mean... Good stuff.

Chrome... in moderation.

Last edited by ShawnC13; 12-29-2013 at 02:02 AM. Reason: Edited to remove reference of retroshop
Old 12-28-2013, 06:32 PM
R A M M S T E I N

RAM357 is a name known to allRAM357 is a name known to allRAM357 is a name known to allRAM357 is a name known to allRAM357 is a name known to allRAM357 is a name known to all

Look at this link. It's a miata board where a guy talks about how he tried both a projector retro and an HID conversion in the stock reflectors and his conclusion is VERY clear!

* 2014 RAM Sport CC* BDS 6" Suspension* Fox 2.5 Coil-over front * Fox 2.0 rear & Pro-Ride 3" coil* 3.92 Gearing* Fuel hostages in 20x9 +1
* ARH LT headers * Magnaflow catback/5" tips * 87mm Ported TB * Moroso Polished Catch Can*_QTP_electric_cutout_&_3"_turn_down * Legmaker Short Ram * S&B custom filter * Outerwears Pre-filter * Extang Solid-Fold Tonneau

Old 12-28-2013, 06:41 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:13
BlackHemiExpress is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys, I would like to buy a headlight set already modified with a projector or hid setup or projector with hid: whatever is better. Are there any plug and play options out there? I would like a the inside of the housing black with clear corner blinkers.

Mufflex DOD18M & Custom Intake tube w/air box mox
Diablo Intune DCX with Hemifever Tuning
Longtubes coming soon...
RIPP supercharger coming soon...
Old 12-28-2013, 06:45 PM

Arth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond repute

What is his conclusion really? If you are saying the stock projector can handle an HID bulb then you are wrong.

I had HID bulbs in the stock projector housing and it doesn't prevent glare and has a massive hot spot as it were. This HID projector actually has a nice cutoff and spreads the beam out.

Also the factory Halogen projector isn't made to have a bulb so close to the high beam shield. This is what my shield looked like in the factory halogen projector after a month of running a 55W HID bulb.

Chrome... in moderation.
Old 12-28-2013, 08:10 PM
R A M M S T E I N

Arth, no, his conclusion was that the "BI-XENON MORIMOTO MINI STAGE III KIT (H1)" kit from therestrofitsource dot com worked great in his Miata.

But you raise an important item - is an HID retro kit for stock projectors doomed?

You see plenty of these kits online. I posted one up the other day on another thread, however I have not contacted the company just yet and now I'm wondering if what I saw as a plug & play HID retro kit for our stock projectors is in fact just the bulk of a larger more complete retro.

IOW's just because I have projectors stock, this doesn't imply these online HID kits from the retro sites will work properly, does it? You're saying I actually need NEW projectors FIRST and then I can proceed to buy one of these online HID kits for optimal results.

Have I got that right Arth?

Old 12-28-2013, 08:29 PM

I would recommend it.

Lots of people have just bought HID kits and are happy but I know the factory projector isn't made to handle that bulb.

When you buy this new projector you can pick up the right HID kit for it. Again I push the retroshop(dot)us. He has done two retrofits for my 13 projectors and they work great.

I looked through that link again and he pushes my point further.

The stock projector was a giant hot spot with glare. The HID projector was a nice sharp cutoff...the way it should be.

Chrome... in moderation.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:01 PM
R A M M S T E I N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arth View Post
I would recommend it.

The HID projector was a nice sharp cutoff...the way it should be.
That cutoff is incredibly important to me. If you've suffered from vertigo, as pilots call it, when driving in heavy snow you'll know why. Upward scatter wreaks havoc. So on that alone, I'm all in.

So would I have to BAKE open the existing lenses to achieve this retro fit, or will the new projectors just plug right in?

*fingers crossed*

Old 12-28-2013, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM357 View Post
That cutoff is incredibly important to me. If you've suffered from vertigo, as pilots call it, when driving in heavy snow you'll know why. Upward scatter wreaks havoc. So on that alone, I'm all in.

So would I have to BAKE open the existing lenses to achieve this retro fit, or will the new projectors just plug right in?

*fingers crossed*
They do not drop right in. JJ at the retroshop has a special mounting plate made to get them to work.

Honestly, if you can, I would pay and let him do it. He does good work and when you get the headlights back it will all be set up. All you will have to do is set up the relay harness and plug it all in. Also if anything obvious goes wrong due to the retrofit he will make it right.

If you want to attempt this yourself you bake open the headlight and remove the stock projector and replace with the other yes. I don't know the details though as I have sent mine in.

Chrome... in moderation.