DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Dodge Ram Wheels And Tires

Notices

Dodge Ram Wheels And Tires General discussion related to wheels and tires.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-01-2014, 04:24 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram
Color: Black
Rep:117
Ranman will become famous soon enoughRanman will become famous soon enough
Default Used tire advice

Hey guys, I am looking at buying a used set of 4 stock 275-60-20 Goodyear Wranglers. The seller claims they have 7MM of tread remaining. What is a reasonable price? How much is 7MM of tread? 50-60-70%

MODS: Front window tint to match rear, Extang tri fold soft tonneau cover. Dee Zee running boards. Tinted tails and 3rd brake light. Blacked emblem and de-badged. Drop in K&N filter. 2.5 inch Hell Bent Steel leveling kit. Cabin air filter. Upper glove box. Magnaflow exhaust. Black bull bar with 20" Cree LED bar. Mickey Thompson 35x12.5x20 MTZ's
Sponsored links
Old 01-01-2014, 04:46 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram
Rep:117
Ranman will become famous soon enoughRanman will become famous soon enough

just realized I posted in the wrong section. Thanks for correcting.

MODS: Front window tint to match rear, Extang tri fold soft tonneau cover. Dee Zee running boards. Tinted tails and 3rd brake light. Blacked emblem and de-badged. Drop in K&N filter. 2.5 inch Hell Bent Steel leveling kit. Cabin air filter. Upper glove box. Magnaflow exhaust. Black bull bar with 20" Cree LED bar. Mickey Thompson 35x12.5x20 MTZ's
Old 01-01-2014, 04:50 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2005 QC 4X4 HEMI RAM
Trim Level: Thunder Road
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:418
hydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nice

7 mm is .28 inch. Unless I was flat broke and they were free, I'd keep looking. I bought the cheapest Falken's that Discount Tire sells for $138 each and they are pretty decent.
Inertia Spartan Plus cam, Circle D 3,000 rpm stall converter,Sonnax line pressure booster, Vararam, JBA's with cut outs, Rancho 9000's,3:92's, extra rear leaf.Line-X Bedliner, 210,000 miles To Hell and back. 14.2/96 mph NEDW
Old 01-01-2014, 05:25 PM

Vehicle: 2012 RAM 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:294
SoCal Ram is a jewel in the roughSoCal Ram is a jewel in the roughSoCal Ram is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranman View Post
Hey guys, I am looking at buying a used set of 4 stock 275-60-20 Goodyear Wranglers. The seller claims they have 7MM of tread remaining. What is a reasonable price? How much is 7MM of tread? 50-60-70%
My used tire experience/fiasco: I bought 2 used tires for my '93 Dakota a few years back. They were doing fine until I was coming home from the Bay Area (aprox 6 hours from home/LA) on Sunday the 3rd of July. Around the Dublin area (30 min or so into the drive) it was getting pretty warm-hot and I had one used tire blow. That was scary and time consuming but AAA came eventually and changed the tire with the spare. Back on the road. Maybe 5min later the second used tire blew and that was in the fast lane. Had to get all the way over to the right and that was not fun. Well, needless to say I had no spare left and it was a long hard search to find an open tire shop on Sunday. 3rd of July didn't help things either because a lot of places were closing early. AAA found one and towed me there. Well, it was a whole new set at whatever price they wanted to charge because I was stuck. Luckily they were kind and gave me a great deal on a good set of GY tires. Just after 6pm that night I was back on the road and got home just before midnight, I left at 10am. 14 hour nightmare, I'll NEVER buy used tires again!!! Just thought you should know that before your purchase.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:16 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport Crew
Color: True Blue Pearl
Rep:1101
LowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud of

I think a lot of people dump the Wranglers because they don't look aggressive enough, they don't handle well enough, or they're not big enough. But the good news is that they are sold very commonly used. I see them for $50 a tire all the time. Just check for abnormal wear (bald spots, varying tread depths, worn on the outside edges or inside edges, or even down the middle. And check each tire for broken beads, or plugs in the tread. And check for tears in the sidewalls indicating curbage or something. These could lead to a blowout..
Old 01-01-2014, 06:33 PM
Addicted to the Z

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Trim Level: Crew Cab 4X4 Limited
Color: PX8 Black
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:2471
RansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond repute

My experience with used tires is not great. I thought I'd try a set of snows for and older van and although the tread looked good the side walls were all cracked which did not show up until they were mounted. Luckily the guy gave me my money back which I used to purchase some brand new ones that were on sale.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:55 PM

Vehicle: 2014 4x4 Regular Cab w/8ft bed
Trim Level: Tradesman 4x4
Color: White
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:974
Gantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to behold

Agree with all comments on used tires. I will add that THE MOST IMPORTANT FACTOR when considering used tires is the 4 digit manufactured/born on date branded on the sidewall of a tire. Case in point; my daughter offered me use of her car one day and it had been raining all morning. All four tires had at least 5/32nds or more of tread life on them. On my way home, at speeds of 45mph, one two way road had a 90 degree turn left in which you applied brakes to slow a bit to make the turn smoothly. So I did just that and next thing you know, I was in a hydroplane straight slide towards the curb but wheels were turned left. Butt pucker was at a full 100% and within inches! my daughters car slowed enough to bite into the road to turn me left and in the right direction. Got home, inspected all tires, BFGood T/A's, with a manufactured date of 2507! No wonder! 6 year old tires with more than half tread left were hard as a rock! So In other words, safety is my biggest point on this one. You can get brand new tires for 137 bucks and some change each, especially if the used tires in question are over 3 years old.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:42 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram Bighorn
Trim Level: Bighorn
Rep:10
beeg3 is on a distinguished road

It might be worth a try stopping into your local Chrysler dealerships and let them know that you're looking for tires for your truck. You might just find a person like myself who wants to put different tires on their new truck when they buy it.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:01 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 1500 Crew Cab SB 4x4
Trim Level: Limited, Rambox,3.92
Color: Granite Crystal
Rep:53
MongoSJ will become famous soon enough

I've got a set I just pulled off. only 200 miles, so essentially new. $400 for the set. PM me if you are interested.