DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-04-2014, 11:59 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:2008
Arth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Considering a Catch Can? Here is why you should.

Okay I am posting this one up even though yes there are many out there now but... I only just recently saw actual evidence of the catch cans working.

So this is to shut the mouths of all those who would doubt that a catch can is worth it. I know there will always be those who will voice their opinions and that is fine but the purpose of this thread is to show that they do work.

Again this only shows they keep a nice clean engine on the inside.. I can't comment on any performance gains but it will certainly help maintain the engine along with regular maintenance.

I am pulling these from another member's post here. If any other members have picture evidence please post it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asur View Post
Taken from the Challenger Site:

6.1L Heads without Catch Can at 36,000mi.
Pulled the intake off of a 2007 6.1L with 36000 miles. The engine has never had a catch can installed.

6.1L Heads with a Catch Can at 62,800mi.
Catch Can on since about 21mi on this engine. I just broke 62,000mi.

Intake Manifold Without Catch Can @ 32,000mi

Intake Manifold with catch can @ 62,000mi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnoilRAM View Post
I'll also add what photos I could find from my old build. I don't have access to my photobucket account at work so it's what's on my computer.

The first is the heads after 80,000kms with no catch can, completely stock except for EGR blocked off (you can see the block plate installed and weathered). Look at the intake ports, they're coated with carbon deposits and that extended all the way to the intake valves as well. No catch can since it wasn't possible on the '07 with the stock intake manifold.

Here is the heads I put on after the original heads were removed with 40,000kms on them with the 6.1L manifold and catch can installed. This is them after being pulled from the old truck and placed on the new engine after the old truck was wrecked. As you can see, there is zero carbon build up in the intake ports. The only prep the heads received was cleaning the exhaust ports right at the gasket as I had 'worked' the old headers to fit the eagle exhaust ports.

I don't have any pics of the throttle body, but the one that's on the new engine is the same BBK that I put on with the 6.1L manifold and it was clean as a whistle after being removed post-wreck with the same 40,000kms.

Chrome... in moderation.
Sponsored links
Old 01-05-2014, 02:51 AM
God Bless Texas!

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lonestar QC
Color: White
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:2929
RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

Saw those in one of the other "catch can" threads. Good way to start a new one.
Old 01-05-2014, 04:28 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:192
Judd McPherson has a spectacular aura aboutJudd McPherson has a spectacular aura about

Great thread! Hopefully this will silence some of the critics that say they are a waste of $100. Why not spend $100 to keep the intake and TB clean on a $40,000 to $50,000 truck investment?
Old 01-05-2014, 06:07 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Laramie
Trim Level: Longhorn Crew Cab
Color: White/Gold
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:487
Silvercreek is a glorious beacon of lightSilvercreek is a glorious beacon of lightSilvercreek is a glorious beacon of lightSilvercreek is a glorious beacon of lightSilvercreek is a glorious beacon of light

I not a Doubting Thomas about the use of a catch can yet but other than the carbon buildup in the intake, what if any damage is being done or caused to the inside of the engine.

*** US Army Retired - 11B40 - 1964/'85 ***
Old 01-05-2014, 07:31 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram
Color: Black
Rep:117
Ranman will become famous soon enoughRanman will become famous soon enough

How easy/difficult are these to install? I would like to have it done. Where can I buy them?

MODS: Front window tint to match rear, Extang tri fold soft tonneau cover. Dee Zee running boards. Tinted tails and 3rd brake light. Blacked emblem and de-badged. Drop in K&N filter. 2.5 inch Hell Bent Steel leveling kit. Cabin air filter. Upper glove box. Magnaflow exhaust. Black bull bar with 20" Cree LED bar. Mickey Thompson 35x12.5x20 MTZ's
Old 01-05-2014, 07:39 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Longhorn
Trim Level: Longhorn
Color: Black
Rep:10
fcbubba is on a distinguished road

Posting this because I do not know the answer. Was told that I did not have to worry about this on my 13 because Dodge supposedly corrected this on later models. It's difficult to believe that they would just let this happen even if they know its happening. Is this just an issue with Dodge or should all manufacturers have one? Thanks
Old 01-05-2014, 09:21 AM
Addicted to the Z

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Trim Level: Crew Cab 4X4 Limited
Color: PX8 Black
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:2471
RansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond repute
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranman View Post
How easy/difficult are these to install? I would like to have it done. Where can I buy them?
I got mine direct from Billet Technology during their Black Friday sale, managed a 30% discount. Missed the 40% discount by about 30mins. They are very easy to install, took me about 15 mins tops. I choose the BT catch can over other brands solely on how cool it looks. It's also a quality product on the inside. Here's a couple of pics of mine,

Old 01-05-2014, 10:09 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Tradesman 5.7
Trim Level: Tradesman
Rep:10
Redfour5 is on a distinguished road

I think that is excellent proof and for cheap not a bad solution that even looks good, but bumping two questions. What other than carbon buildup is caused by this and did they fix it on the 2013's having apparently been aware of it as a problem? I have a 13.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:52 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 CC 4x4
Trim Level: 1500 Longhorn 4x4
Color: Western Brown Monotone
Rep:92
lowfast will become famous soon enough

Only way to know if it is "fixed" is to pull a 2013 engine without a catch can that has significant miles on it. However, unless someone can identify a particular component added by Chrysler to combat this issue I seriously doubt any "fix" has been implemented. Chrysler does not see this as an issue because the engine will last well past the warranty period, after that it is your problem not theirs. In fact, issues after the warranty are good money makers for the dealerships.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:59 AM
Addicted to the Z

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Trim Level: Crew Cab 4X4 Limited
Color: PX8 Black
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:2471
RansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfast View Post
Only way to know if it is "fixed" is to pull a 2013 engine without a catch can that has significant miles on it. However, unless someone can identify a particular component added by Chrysler to combat this issue I seriously doubt any "fix" has been implemented. Chrysler does not see this as an issue because the engine will last well past the warranty period, after that it is your problem not theirs. In fact, issues after the warranty are good money makers for the dealerships.
^^^^ Exactly why you won't see this as standard equipment.