DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Dodge Ram Aftermarket Brakes

Notices

Dodge Ram Aftermarket Brakes Aftermarket Big Brake Kits. Not for discussion of General Brake Maintenance.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-05-2014, 11:37 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 98 ram
Trim Level: sport 4x4
Color: blue
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:40
450r is on a distinguished road
Default Finally!!! Hydro-boost on a 1500

Hey everyone so I haven't had a lot of time to play/Change things with my truck, but I decided it was time to up grade. Last year I installed chevy 3500 wheel cylinders in the rear, and 98 2500 calipers up front. I also put Drilled Rotors up front with some pro stop pads, and topped it off with ss brake lines. The truck stopped so much better.Then about a month ago I Lifted the rear 1 inch and the front 2 inches. I installed some 35 12.50 20 mud terrains and the truck looked amazing, but the brakes once again SUCKED it felt like the factory system all over again so I decided to install hydro-boost. I got the 2 hydro-boost feed lines for a 98 ram 2500 5.9 dsl. The master cylinder and booster are from a 06 3500 5.9 dsl. I also installed a power steering cooler ans filter. After re-drilling 2 of the 4 mounting holes,the booster fit like a glove. I had to extend the brake pedal push rod a 1/2 inch and she was done under the dash. The lines bolted right up to the original steering gear and pump. I added atf+4 instead of regular power steering fluid and she was ready. After bleeding the power steering system and the brakes came the test drive. All I can say is WOW. You hardly have to press on the brakes and this truck stops better then any other truck I have driven. Also the power steering pump is far quieter then it was at the beginning of this project. All in all I think this was well worth it.
Here is a link to the prof. https://drive.google.com/folderview?...zQ&usp=sharing
Sponsored links
Old 01-06-2014, 12:55 AM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3277
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, I was going to install a set of big brakes I'd bought but went with a hydro boost system as well. braking power is SOOO much better and it's basically a plug and plau system, just have to cut 1 line to tee it in.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:42 PM

Yes it should have been offered from the factory.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:58 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2000 Ram ORE 4x4 5.9L
Trim Level: Laramie SLT
Color: White
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:55
Wh1t3nukle will become famous soon enough

Congrats on the upgrade. I've got some questions for you as I acquired hydroboost from same year truck as mine for 2500 cummins. I have not installed it yet as there aren't much documentation out there on such a swap.

Would you mind elaborating a bit more with the PS pump. You are using your stock PS pump? This was the hold up for me. I gather your 4 bolts mod to the firewall was b/c of using the 06 hardware.

Any noticeable change in the steering performance as well?

Thanks for sharing as it's very helpful.

I just noticed that you said used ATF+4, in case you or others don't know, that is flammable. PS lines sometimes blow....and certainly never wish that on someone. Just a heads up and not meaning to knock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450r View Post
Hey everyone so I haven't had a lot of time to play/Change things with my truck, but I decided it was time to up grade. Last year I installed chevy 3500 wheel cylinders in the rear, and 98 2500 calipers up front. I also put Drilled Rotors up front with some pro stop pads, and topped it off with ss brake lines. The truck stopped so much better.Then about a month ago I Lifted the rear 1 inch and the front 2 inches. I installed some 35 12.50 20 mud terrains and the truck looked amazing, but the brakes once again SUCKED it felt like the factory system all over again so I decided to install hydro-boost. I got the 2 hydro-boost feed lines for a 98 ram 2500 5.9 dsl. The master cylinder and booster are from a 06 3500 5.9 dsl. I also installed a power steering cooler ans filter. After re-drilling 2 of the 4 mounting holes,the booster fit like a glove. I had to extend the brake pedal push rod a 1/2 inch and she was done under the dash. The lines bolted right up to the original steering gear and pump. I added atf+4 instead of regular power steering fluid and she was ready. After bleeding the power steering system and the brakes came the test drive. All I can say is WOW. You hardly have to press on the brakes and this truck stops better then any other truck I have driven. Also the power steering pump is far quieter then it was at the beginning of this project. All in all I think this was well worth it.
Here is a link to the prof. https://drive.google.com/folderview?...zQ&usp=sharing
Old 01-10-2014, 12:13 PM

I ran the original pump, and have had no issues with he steering. I have had a lot of noise coming from the pump before the swap, and I would check the fluid and it was aerating. A lot of manufactures use atf in power steering systems, dodge does on many cars. I filled up the system with synthetic ATF+4 and I have never had my pump so quite and smooth.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:36 PM

Thanks for reconfirming use of the stock pump.

If you were getting aeration prior to the swap, then air was getting in there from some place. Gear box is typically place as well as failure of the oring on the high pressure outlet on the pump. Nice no issues after the swap though.

As for ATF+4, you can find in the factory service manual for these trucks that is explicitly says to NOT use transmission fluid. Just giving you info on it. If you see leaking some time down the road, then it will be related to the high detergent content of the atf+4. Again, not meaning to be critical. You did a great job and I'm certainly thankful for it.

Any chance you might share why you picked the 06 hydroboost? Just curious.

Thanks and hopefully you share further experience as you get more miles and time on this upgrade!
Old 01-14-2014, 12:21 PM

This is straight from the repair manual.
INITIAL OPERATION

WARNING:The fluid level should be checked with engine off to prevent injury from moving components.

NOTE:Remove as much of the old fluid out of the system as possible with a suction tool or by removing a hose, when a component has failed. Then refill it with fresh fluid until it is clean. This may have to be done more than once.

CAUTION:MOPAR® ATF+4 is to be used in the power steering system. No other power steering or automatic transmission fluid is to be used in the system. Damage may result to the power steering pump and system if any other fluid is used, and do not overfill.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:37 PM

What year are you looking at? I'm not sure what is going on, but here is the electronic page as obtained from 2001 Service Manual (link in the post to another thread here):

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread....67#post1295467

Not trying to fight. I don't want to spread misinformation for others. If I have wrong document, then something is awry!
Old 01-17-2014, 08:55 PM

I use alldata and identifix and both state atf, and many tsbs also state the same.
Old 07-12-2014, 11:00 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: Red
Rep:10
scter15 is on a distinguished road
Default Dodge Ram Hydro Boost

Hello Everyone,

I've been searching for a brake upgrade. I was planning on installing ss brake line and upgraded calipers if they exist. I use my truck as a daily driver and it is not lifted.

Would anyone of you discuss the benefits of a hydroboost brake booster? Does the benefits outweigh the cost for a daily on-road driver? Any hidden details with such a conversion?

Thanks for all the info.