DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Cross border shipping info for SW Ontario members

13K views 64 replies 25 participants last post by  Astrol 
#1 ·
Anyone here ever get stuff shipped from the states to a place just over the border? My sister in law lives in sault ste marie and gets stuff shipped to sault michigan all the time and saves so much money!

I was wondering if there was a freight place within a few hours drive of the GTA to get stuff shipped in order to save some cash.

Any info appreciated!

#4 ·
I would google it and see what you can find. I'm sure lots will come up.

That's exactly what I do in Sumas, WA. It's just a little border village with a few gas stations, restaurants and convenience stores but there's probably 4-5 little offices that you can ship packages to from the states. I send all my stuff there and just run down and pick it up.

#23 ·
#9 ·
I live closer to Watertown area, I don't imagine anyone knows of a place just near the border north of Watertown? I will see what I can find on line but if someone knows of a location that would save me a little research.

#11 ·
wow! always wondered how to do this and could never figure it out! I thought guys would get a PO Box in the states or even a storage unit, this is way easier and cheaper! Thanks for the websites!

#14 · (Edited)
would one have to contact the shipping place and set up an account with them before hand? Or can you just have something shipped there, and go get it?

Edit: I answered my own question... I visited a few of the sites, and all you have to do is set up an account with them (free) and just pay when you pick up your package. Its pretty cheap!

I hope this thread comes in handy for some fellow members!

#15 · (Edited)
CBI is great to deal with and less than 5 mins from Niagra falls border. You go on a weekend, and almost everyone is cdn. Word of warning, if you go on a sat, try and get there early. It can get very busy. I ve had small single items shipped there up to full long block motors. Prices are very reasonable as we'll.

As for shipping an item. Just use cbi shipping address and your name. That's it. Just be sure to call down to confirm package has arrived.

#16 ·
CBI is great to deal with and less than 5 mins from Niagra falls border. You go on a weekend, and almost everyone is cdn. Word of warning, if you go on a sat, try and get there early. It can get very busy. I ve had small single items shipped there up to full long block motors. Prices are very reasonable as we'll.

As for shipping an item. Just use cbi shipping address and your name. That's it. Just be sure to call down to confirm package has arrived.

thanks for the input higs! much appreciated!

:rep:

#18 ·
i've crossed the Lewiston bridge and come back across less than 15 minutes later :D
tracking numbers are key. I keep and eye on when my stuff is arriving, email them the night before i'm going down and it's pretty much on a cart before i get there :)

#20 ·
i use us address
the most i've ever paid is taxes, never got hit with the duty bit yet.
there have been a couple of times that i've come thru and paid nothing...more the less expensive trips like $100 and under. but i've also been told to pay on a $30 item as well so it's hit 'n miss
Most times i'm coming back with $1000 +/- so i spend most of my time at the crossing parked and inside :) Still a hell of a lot cheaper than buying up here. Bought a set of rims for my bobber at 1/3 of the price...list of parts is endless actually ;)

US addy has 2 price points...smaller packages are $5, larger or heavy stuff is $10
Bring US cash only, they don't do CC or Can$....i always have $200 US in my wallet, ya never know lol
coming across, have all your paperwork ready...they'll ask ya at the crossing what your value is and if they wanna send you to the taxman you'll go inside, flash 'em your passport and bills and they'll send ya to the cashier. pay him 'n you're gone :) I've yet to spand more than 5 minutes in there

oh ya, don't forget your passport!!!! :D

#24 ·
i use us address
the most i've ever paid is taxes, never got hit with the duty bit yet.
duty is only on certain goods that aren't manufactured in North America.

All US made items are duty free thanks to NAFTA.

#21 ·
another li'l tip...
save up your purchaces so they arrive over a week time period....with anything really big (bumpers, wheels, motorcycle frames, engines etc etc..) to come in just before you go down. It ain't a huge place so the better you serve them, the better they serve you :)
Super huge stuff i'd call and check with them as to whether they can accomodate the item. They'll receive most stuff, but they aren't gonna help you load it..plan accordingly :)

#22 ·
good to know, thanks again!

whats the company you went through? I see there are a number of UPS stores doing this and CBI

#28 ·
this thread just keeps getting filled with great information! thanks to all, and I hope that lots of fellow canucks here can make use of it!

#39 ·
Sweet, thanks!!thats a first for me!

Any chance of changing the title? I'm thinking something along the lines of "Cross border shipping info for SW Ontario members"

I'm pumped !!!

I was also looking at a hid kit from retro. Where did you get yours from. ??

#38 ·
I use Kuhns Storage @ 200 Portage Rd, Niagara Falls, NY 14303, United States

Really easy to deal with and super cheap. My brother lives in St. Catherines so I get him to pick up all of my packages.

#44 ·
whereabouts are you?

the place my sister in law uses is called "Weirs" Its actually a furniture place, but they accept shipments as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.