DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-08-2014, 08:48 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Hemi Regular Cab
Trim Level: ST
Color: Mineral Gray
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:277
GrayhemiST is a jewel in the roughGrayhemiST is a jewel in the roughGrayhemiST is a jewel in the rough

Smoker's stench?? The smell makes me sick......ditch it quick!!! You'll never get that out.
Sponsored links
Old 01-08-2014, 09:44 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:262
SteelTownStang is a jewel in the roughSteelTownStang is a jewel in the roughSteelTownStang is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayhemiST View Post
Smoker's stench?? You'll never get that out.
^^^^^^ this^^^^^^
MODS: Magnaflow Cat-Back Exhaust, aFe Stage II CAI, Extang Solid-Fold Tonneau, Mopar Side Steps, Mopar Mats & Bedliner, AMP Bed XTender, Daystar 2.5 Leveling Kit, Fuel Pump Black Wheels (20x9/+1 Offset), Toyo Open Country Extreme A/T Tires (35/12.50/20), Aries Stealth Bull Bar, & KC SlimLites.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie Limited
Color: True Blue Pearl Coat
Rep:43
RamHemiTX is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayhemiST View Post
Smoker's stench?? The smell makes me sick......ditch it quick!!! You'll never get that out.
That is a biggie for me. The dealer is looking for a 2013/2014 with what I want. I emailed him the build sheet from my 2012 and bolded/highlighted my must haves and wants.. I told him we have to keep the price to what I paid for the 2012 so I know I won't get another Limited. But at least it won't stink and will have the 8 speed/3.92...
Old 01-08-2014, 10:30 PM

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram
Color: Silver
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
Captain10 is on a distinguished road

If you can afford it and the numbers line up, by all means man make it happen. I bought a 2007 for a steal of a deal because its what I could afford. I really wanted a 4th gen and all i needed to have was cc, 4wd, hemi, and stock 20s. Really wanted black or charcoal too. But I couldnt pass on the deal I got the 07 for. Reckon Ill drive it a year or two and upgrade when I can afford it. I did however upgrade from a 01 hyundai elantra and was able to give my teenage sister her first car which was becoming a necessity.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:30 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 cc 4x4
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Granite
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:32
finn5033 is on a distinguished road

I have to ask since I'm surprised no one else has. You said in your original post that when you purchased your 2012 you were deciding between that one and the 2014 outdoorsman, is it safe to assume you didn't drive either one before you bought? Or at least you didn't test drive the 2014 before you bought?

As far as trading for the other one I would do it as well. I bought my last truck about 2 1/2 years ago knowing I wouldn't keep it for too long because I let my wife talk me out of getting the options I wanted. Now I am getting exactly what I want because I too would like to keep this one for a long time
Old 01-08-2014, 11:51 PM

Vehicle: 2013 RAM 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black
Rep:29
Omac is on a distinguished road

I waited a year until I could get my Laramie with the 8 speed. I got it in July when they started coming out with the 8 speed. The dealer had plenty of 6 speeds on the lot but I insisted he find exactly what I wanted. If you can afford the new truck get it.
Mopar Hood Deflector, Mopar Mud Flaps Front/Rear, Fire/Ice Mud Flap LEDs, Tonno Bed Cover, Mopar Bed Mat, Mopar Tailgate Liner,Window Tint, Husky WeatherBeater Floor Liner Front/Rear, Mopar Chrome Gas Door
Old 01-08-2014, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finn5033 View Post
I have to ask since I'm surprised no one else has. You said in your original post that when you purchased your 2012 you were deciding between that one and the 2014 outdoorsman, is it safe to assume you didn't drive either one before you bought? Or at least you didn't test drive the 2014 before you bought?

As far as trading for the other one I would do it as well. I bought my last truck about 2 1/2 years ago knowing I wouldn't keep it for too long because I let my wife talk me out of getting the options I wanted. Now I am getting exactly what I want because I too would like to keep this one for a long time

Fair question and I'm glad you asked...

The reason I traded in my 2005 is because when we had our big ice storm a few weeks back I noticed that my heater core was leaking. The wife said "you need a new truck". Momma didn't raise no fool and when the wife says that you do it...

With that being said, I did drive both, but there was still a good bit of ice on the road and I couldn't really test drive them like I usually would have. I do take some responsibility there because I should have held off a week for everything to clear out and done a proper test drive. What I had no way of knowing about was the smell of smoke that did not come until today, the first rainy/humid day we have had since I bought the 2012. At the end of the day, I hope something can work out. If not, I will have to find a way to mask the smoke for a few years and hope it goes away eventually. I will also have to live with the gearing/tranny issue. The 2012 is a limited, and it is nice, so there are really pros and cons either way.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:57 PM

When I pick up the 2012 tomorrow from the shop I am going to take the wife for a ride. She is pretty sensitive to smoke. It will be interesting to hear her thoughts after smelling it. Right now, she isn't very happy with me. I could muster up some fake bravado and say I don't care and then grunt like Tim Allen. I do care because I enjoy having a happy marriage... So I will just see what tomorrow brings..
Old 01-09-2014, 12:23 AM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:636
huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

i think a good detail shop could get the smoke smell out. imho, the 12 is a very nice truck and what happens in three or four years when the new model comes out? i would stick with the 12 and complain to the dealer about the smoke smell.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:41 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 cc 4x4
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Granite
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:32
finn5033 is on a distinguished road

This is just my opinion but when your talking spending 35-40k on a truck it makes sense to make sure your happy. Let's say it cost you a couple more grand to get into a 2014 is that money going to matter 5 years from now when you still love your truck and are so glad you decided to make the change? Or will you be kicking yourself in the butt 2-3 years from now when you still have the stinky smelling truck that you wanted to get rid of but didn't to save a couple grand?

Don't get me wrong, that Laramie is a really nice truck but I can understand what your saying about that 8-speed tranny. I picked the Ram over a new Chevy almost completely because of the 8-speed. I test drove both of them and the difference in the driving experience sold me on it.

Last edited by finn5033; 01-09-2014 at 10:16 AM.