DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Notices

Off Topic Discussion Anything goes in here! Well, almost!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-20-2014, 02:02 AM
Join the Dark Ram Side!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:1534
DarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant future
Default Gun stories - The Good, the Bad, the Ugly.

With the creation of the Social Group, The Ram and Gun Club (http://www.ramforumz.com/group.php?groupid=51) it got me to thinking. What are some of your good, bad, scary or funny gun stories? Lost in the woods? Leave your gun somewhere on accident? Share!

I started with a Bushmaster XM15. Bad choice. On the first magazine I shot through it the carrier group locked up half way and it wouldn't move forward or back. It had to go back to Bushmaster less then 12 rounds into owning it. All under factory warranty through Dunham's Sports. Dunham's and I weren't told anything. Sent emails to Bushmaster. I called Bushmaster. Nothing. No response to emails. No one on the phone knew anything. It finally came back from the factory 3 weeks later. The only explanation was the note "ring failure".

I get the gun back and go to the gravel pit to shoot. Exactly 29 rounds in it locks up. This time with a live round (The 30th from the mag) in the chamber and the carrier group all the way forward. I spent an hour at the pit trying everything to get the carrier group to move so I could pull the round out. Nothing. Both times it locked up I couldn't even dissemble the gun. The pins would push all the way out but the upper and lowers wouldn't come apart. I went straight to Dunham's with a rifle in the bed of my truck with a live round in it. The whole way back I am thinking, Don't go off.

I was so pissed I literally couldn't talk. I walked in and said "There is a live round in this rifle. I am done with it. It is yours. Give me my money back." After calming down a little I explained what was wrong and it was the second time. The guy behind the counter said he had to call the GM. This was at 8:30 at night. He came back in and said normally all gun sales are final. Just as he said that he must have seen my pupils dilate and my whole upper body start to raise up right before I was going to lose my mind because he quickly put a hand up and said BUT due to the situation they would refund the money. Never found out what happened.

Bushmaster customer service was the worst. However, Dunham's was so good that several years later I bought an H&K 416 22LR on sale right before ARs became worth their own weight in gold and you needed to mortgage your house to buy ammo...if you could find it.
Magnaflow 14" Custom Install Bilstein 5100s Front Only Set at 2.8" Vararam Air Grabber Cravenspeed Stubby Antenna Dee Zee Tailgate Assist Billet Technology "The Punisher" Shift Knob Debadged doors and tailgate Plasti Dipped HEMI Badge The Punisher Grille and Tailgate Badges Exterior Chrome Delete 20" XD Series 795 Hoss LT305/55R20 Nitto Trail Grappler M/T Cabin Air Filter BAKFlip Roll-X Tonneau Cover

Last edited by DarthRam; 01-20-2014 at 02:05 AM.
Sponsored links
Old 01-20-2014, 02:36 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2002 4x4 quad cab 1500 slt
Trim Level: Sport (going to mod)
Color: Big Red
Engine: 2002-2003 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp 335lb/ft
Rep:10
jwsmitty1989 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to jwsmitty1989

My first gun was a Rugger .22 long barrel rifle, I shot everything from cans to squeaks (ground squirrels, stringy but tasty).... But my best gun memory would for sure be my .357 long sighted barrel revolver, saved my ass on a few occasions.

One day my grandfather and I were camping in the deep Oregon outback at around 2,000 feet on Dead Horse Lake Mountain at a secluded pass about 5 miles into the woods. The way in had washed out so I had to hike to the main trail with my grandfather, he was carrying his .50 Beretta (not that fast to be drawn since it's extremely heavy and hard to maneuver) an adult male mountain lion (approx. 450lbs) stalked us and we noticed it, the lion confronted us at the entrance to the washed out pass... needless to say I'm still here unscathed and the lion isn't. Also turns out when we had the lion skinned and we're going to have the meat processed so we could eat it (eat everything you kill that is the rule) turns out this was the particular lion that was stalking and killing local cattle and a few dogs in the area, they found the remains in the stomach.

Another time was when hunting elk in the same location, I was loading my hunting rifle and heard a rustling noise about ten feet from me and it turned out to be a big ass f***ing brown bear, he charged me I stood my ground. Drew my .357 fired a shot up, he got pissed, charged more, so I shot him twice in the head...I love my .357

Other then that normally a few shots off with that keep anything away or back anything up, makes for a great self defense weapon as well if you're trained with the weight of it.

Other then that one I like the new Kimber specials
Old 01-20-2014, 02:37 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2002 4x4 quad cab 1500 slt
Trim Level: Sport (going to mod)
Color: Big Red
Engine: 2002-2003 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp 335lb/ft
Rep:10
jwsmitty1989 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to jwsmitty1989

I'm also more partial to knives, and bow hunting. But I always carry the .357 just in case
Old 01-20-2014, 03:45 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I don't use a fire arm very often
I have fired several pistols & i was comfortable with most of them

one day my boss told me to take a couple shots with his Winchester 94, my brain still remembers the pain my shoulder suffered

One day my buddy told me that we were going to have quail for supper, he grabbed a 12 gauge shotgun & told me to belt on a pistol to shoot any rattle snakes that we might encounter, 2 quail later, i was laying in the dirt. My friend saw some quail we had flushed taking flight, he fired 3 times as they were rising, by the second shot i saw that he was not looking at anything but the quail that were flying right in my direction.
That was the last time that i went hunting for supper.

I also had a farm tractor that i was operating in a cotton field shot during the First day of Pheasant season, damn trigger happy city folk
If it moves, shoot it
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 01-20-2014, 07:21 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Western Brown Monotone
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:59
RocketFoot will become famous soon enough

My first AR was a Bushmaster XM15 A1 upper...it has been absolutely trouble free! Probably the worst gun I own is a little Walther P22...fun to shoot but the damn thing has an FTF on every 2nd round!
Old 01-20-2014, 11:45 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Express 4X4
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:304
h2oman is a jewel in the roughh2oman is a jewel in the roughh2oman is a jewel in the roughh2oman is a jewel in the rough

I have two. I took my oldest boy turkey hunting near Mount Palomar. We went into the National Forest about a mile. There was a large clump of oak trees. Inside the oak grove there were large natural boulders in a large natural circle with cuts that you could walk through. Inside the circle was a very pristine Louis XIV chair sitting like a throne with the leaves raked in a perfect circle around it. Too creepy for me. We bugged out.

My other has a happy ending but was not nice at all.
http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=158086
Old 01-20-2014, 12:03 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Patriot Blue
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:1900
gonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant future

This one was pretty entertaining at the moment:

Up at my buddy's property in Mt. Jackson with my dad sighting in all the rifles before hunting season.

We both had our muzzleloaders and taking turns shooting them/sighting them in.

In the commotion of switching between guns/cleaning after 2 shots, etc he forgot to ram a slug into the gun..just the powder kegs..(so he thought)

so he sets up, aims, shoots.... ball of fireworks comes out the end.

"oh, must have forgot the sabot, whoops"

cleans the gun, proceeds to shoot. the next morning, he goes into the pack of hot dog buns that was on the table in between the target and where we were shooting from about 15 yards away. There he found a buried sabot IN THE HOT DOG BUNS.

turns out, he had forgot to load KEGS in...so the residual powder had enough force to propel the round out 15 yards into the hot dog buns.
JVC Arsenal KD, Bilstein 5100 adjustables [maxed], aFe Stage 2 Air Intake, Superchips 3865, Husky Floor Mats, Saddleman Camo Seat Covers, Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler SI/DO, 20 % Tint. 35x12.5x17 Federal Couragia M/T, 17x8.5 VTEC Warlord wheels, -12mm offest.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:08 PM
Join the Dark Ram Side!

DarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketFoot View Post
My first AR was a Bushmaster XM15 A1 upper...it has been absolutely trouble free! Probably the worst gun I own is a little Walther P22...fun to shoot but the damn thing has an FTF on every 2nd round!
My H&K 22LR is actual built by Carl Walther Germany. I have never had a FTF with it. However, I run the "expensive" brass or copper coated 22LR rounds through it.
Magnaflow 14" Custom Install Bilstein 5100s Front Only Set at 2.8" Vararam Air Grabber Cravenspeed Stubby Antenna Dee Zee Tailgate Assist Billet Technology "The Punisher" Shift Knob Debadged doors and tailgate Plasti Dipped HEMI Badge The Punisher Grille and Tailgate Badges Exterior Chrome Delete 20" XD Series 795 Hoss LT305/55R20 Nitto Trail Grappler M/T Cabin Air Filter BAKFlip Roll-X Tonneau Cover
Old 01-20-2014, 09:04 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Express 4X4
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:304
h2oman is a jewel in the roughh2oman is a jewel in the roughh2oman is a jewel in the roughh2oman is a jewel in the rough
Default Pet Peeves

Muzzle brakes. it's an AR for crying out loud. If you can't handle.the recoil of an AR take up scrap booking and leave my ears alone. Rant over.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:46 AM
Join the Dark Ram Side!

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oman View Post
Muzzle brakes. it's an AR for crying out loud. If you can't handle.the recoil of an AR take up scrap booking and leave my ears alone. Rant over.
I had a muzzle break put on my Desert Eagle .50AE which made it louder than an atomic bomb.