DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Heating & Cooling

Notices

Heating & Cooling 3rd Gen Dodge Ram Heating & Cooling Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-11-2012, 11:29 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: Dodge ram 2002
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Blue
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
Gearhead is on a distinguished road
Default heater blowing cold

Okay guys I'm a bit confused here, the climate control knob is on heat, the truck is at normal temp, it blows air but it isn't pleasant with this cold Texas weather, there isn't any moisture or wet content on the floorboard from the heater core. Just not understanding why it still blows but not heat?!!? Do you guys think that my system is clogged?? (corroded)
Sponsored links
Old 01-13-2012, 09:21 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1997 ram ss/t
Trim Level: SS/T
Color: Black
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Parkerram is on a distinguished road

probibly a plugged heater core. you can try flushing it .
Old 01-13-2012, 09:27 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:1266
Stump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud of

Couple things to try, first would be to backflush the heater core if that doesn't work make sure that the blend door is opening correctly. Not sure how to do it on an 02, hopefully someone will chime in with some better instructions on how to check that.

Big Red my old 2011 Sport

Enjoy big benefits with a subscription to RamforumZ, become a site supporter today!

Don't forget to upload pics of your Ram in the Gallery!

Great how to's and lets not forget the Rulez.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:35 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2002 4dr 4x4
Trim Level: SLT LARAMIE
Color: BLACK
ricksbuells is on a distinguished road

I just finished putting a new heater core in my 2002 ram with a 5 speed,only took 19 hours to do it.It started out by blowing luke warm air,then to a puddle in my floorboard.Definetly flush it out.The blend door is tricky to get at ,its behind the glove box and you still have to take apart the dash to get to it.Be careful the dash will crumble.
Old 01-15-2012, 03:13 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2597
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

Check out YOUTUBE

type HEATERTREATER

you find loads of info, just start watching, you WILL find your answer
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 01-17-2012, 03:12 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: Green
Camarata is on a distinguished road

I was having the same problem with my 03 last year except I also had problems with the air flow, it seemed even at full blow that it wasn't that strong. It ended up being the heater core. It wasn't leaking inside the cab but I could smell anti-freeze when I would turn on the heat. I also noticed after about a month that my anti freeze was down a tad. My mechanic first flushed the system and it worked great, didn't notice any leak so we thought we fixed it. After a couple of days I was back to cold air. Checked the thermostat and nothing so I ended up forking out the money and replaced the heater core. A year later I still have nice warm and steady heat.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:39 AM

In reference to (Camarata)

Yeah man that's crazy that you mentioned that because every once in a while when I turn the heater on, I smell anti-freeze, I heard the heater core was only like 50-60 bucks, not to bad I'm just afraid of the repair as far as taking the dash out!

Ricksbuells: So what do you mean when you say the dash will crumble? The blend door, are these the doors that open up to front vents or dash vents? Because if I want to put it on a certain vent, like defrost or floor only, I hear clicking and stuff but never adjust to my desired choice, it stays on defrost.

Stomp3r: How do you back flush a heater core?
Old 01-17-2012, 09:40 AM

Yeah man that's crazy that you mentioned that because every once in a while when I turn the heater on, I smell anti-freeze, I heard the heater core was only like 50-60 bucks, not to bad I'm just afraid of the repair as far as taking the dash out!

Ricksbuells: So what do you mean when you say the dash will crumble? The blend door, are these the doors that open up to front vents or dash vents? Because if I want to put it on a certain vent, like defrost or floor only, I hear clicking and stuff but never adjust to my desired choice, it stays on defrost.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:45 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: Green
Camarata is on a distinguished road

Exactly, the price of the heater core isn't bad it's dealing with your dash that sucks. Since its not just a quick fix. You might as well check the door while you have the dash off. I couldn't tell you where everything is at but there are a lot of great guys on here with endless info. If you smell a little anti freeze once in a while, check to see if the reservoir is a little down compared to normal or if you have any residue starting to form on the windshield. Tell take sign of a bad heater core.. Hope you figure it out. Nothing worse than having air blow out but it being cold instead of hot.

If you aren't losing any anti freeze or seeing any residue or moisture on the floor(which I wasn't I could only smell it) it would be a lot cheaper / time efficient to just flush the system.

Keep us posted!
Old 01-24-2012, 09:00 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2002 4dr 4x4
Trim Level: SLT LARAMIE
Color: BLACK
ricksbuells is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead View Post

If you are not careful the dash breaks apart really easy like they are ate up from being exposed to the elements. The blend door and the other vent doors are in a black box behind your glove box.They all have acuator motors on them ,there are 3 of them and you have to remove the dash to get to them .If you are hearing clicking I would say that one is slipping through the gears and not opening.I cut a rectangular hole in my firewall right at the heater core hoses and made a cover from sheet metal that can be removed. The heater core lays flat and is held by 1 screw now I can remove it in 5 min. start to finish.Why can't the factory do this from the start? Hope this helps, it took me alot of time learning the hard way.