DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2013 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2013 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2013 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-10-2014, 08:35 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 5.7L
Trim Level: Express
Color: Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Hydrocarbon is on a distinguished road

Crap, the vibration is back in my Ram. I can't explain this fully, but I think it had something to do with making only short trips in zero degree weather. The vibration is much more pronounced at operating temp; I'm getting to operating temp easier now that it's 40 degrees warmer.
Sponsored links
Old 03-10-2014, 08:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 RAM CC 4X4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Blue
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Tom-G is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydjacobson View Post
Hi All,

I brought my truck in last Monday to the dealership and they did an update to the PCM. This did not resolve my vibration at 2000 RPMs. I also notified them about this forum and thread so they know it's not just me. They said they will be contacting Chrysler about this issue. I'll let everyone know what I find out.

Lloyd
Lloyd,

My dealership contacted Ram tech support a few weeks ago and was told that Ram is aware of the 2,000 RPM problem affecting many 2013's, but a fix was not available at that time. Hopefully your dealership will get an indication of when Ram expects to start authorizing repairs. I first reported this problem to my dealership last August and there is no reason Ram hasn't started authorizing repairs by now.

Tom
Old 03-12-2014, 08:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 ram 1500
Trim Level: laramie
Color: blue streak pearl
14bluelaramie is on a distinguished road

I traded in a 2012 f150 lariat ecoboost supercrew 4x4 that was on its 3rd steering rack and 3rd rear slider and many other issues so I switch and get a 2014 ram 1500(truck of the year) that have a vibration at 2000rpms.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:52 PM

Vehicle: N/A
Rep:350
TransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really nice

I've spoken with a few people who suggest this is likely caused by MDS. Try tapping the ERS (-) button so you run in ERS "8" all the time, and see if the vibration disappears (ERS disables MDS). If so, then MDS is likely the culprit.
Old 03-13-2014, 01:02 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
justkuz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransEngineer View Post
I've spoken with a few people who suggest this is likely caused by MDS. Try tapping the ERS (-) button so you run in ERS "8" all the time, and see if the vibration disappears (ERS disables MDS). If so, then MDS is likely the culprit.
It's not MDS. You feel it through the affected rpm range under all types of acceleration. MDS isn't active there.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:06 PM

Vehicle: 2013 1500 Big Horn Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Hemi 5.7L w/8 Speed
Color: Copperhead Pearlcoat
Rep:54
The Crow 1994 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I feel it when I'm driving up a incline, pretty much at any speed, as long as I'm in the 2,000 RPM range. I wouldn't think that would be the optimal time for the MDS to kick in, but I'll test your theory tomorrow and see what I encounter.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:22 PM

Vehicle: 2013 1500 Big Horn Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Hemi 5.7L w/8 Speed
Color: Copperhead Pearlcoat
Rep:54
The Crow 1994 will become famous soon enough

I did a Google search for "Ram 2000 RPM vibration" and came up with quite a few results. So, I'm guessing this issue has been going on for some time.

Here's a interesting post from LU229 on dodgeforum. com

"I`ve mentioned many times what the vibes are, in several different threads thru out the dodge/chrysler forums. They are torsional harmonic vibrations coming from the hemi engine. The vibes transmit throughout the cab & chassis, gas pedal and seats, floors, (& some steering wheels) at certain rpm`s. (mine was really bad around 2,100 rpm) I`ve made a couple large metal/rubber ballast`s for mine, installed them to each side of the engine block, 2 ballast`s on the "Y" pipe on the exhaust, all my homemade ballast`s kill the vibes entirely. I even installed a small exhaust ballast to my gas pedal to soak up any vibes that were still lerking. I even bought/installed a fluid harmonic balancer on the crankshaft. All my vibrations are gone. The engine is sooooo much smoother today. These vehicles today are made lighter, thinner materials, then they stuff a large horsepower engines in them, vibrations have to go somewhere to die, then end result, the vibes have no place to go but into the chassis & cab. You have to kill it before it reach`s the chassis`s & cabs. Has anyone ever noticed that nobody ever complains about vibrations with the 4.7...??? My brother has the same truck, but has the 4.7 engine, FAR smoother running than my 5.7 hemi. His truck has NO vibes at all. Another friend of mine has a 4.7, his is as smooth as my brothers truck too.

Ther are small rubber ballasts available thru chrysler to install on your exhaust.
You`ll have to look for them thru the 2005 hemi truck service bulliten.
They`re hard to find, but if i find the place where to buy them today, i`ll post the link in here."
Old 03-13-2014, 09:44 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Tradesman 5.7
Trim Level: Tradesman
Color: White
Redfour5 is on a distinguished road

I've noticed it in mine but it doesn't seem that bad but it is noticable.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:54 PM

Vehicle: 2013 RAM CC 4X4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Blue
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Tom-G is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I have tried the ERS and also tried tow/haul mode. Vibration still occurs. My truck was perfectly smooth for the first month then the vibration started. It's my understanding a few folks in Canada had their torque converters and flexplates replaced that fixed the problem, but Ram is not authorizing repairs in the US. The vibration is always there in the 1800 - 2000 rpm range, peaking at 2000 rpms, and is more pronounced under load such as driving up a hill. When the transmission is in park, no vibration at 2000 rpms.

Last edited by Tom-G; 03-13-2014 at 10:57 PM.
Old 03-14-2014, 03:12 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
justkuz is on a distinguished road

I am taking mine in Monday to have my dealer look at mine. The service manager hadn't heard of it yet but they are a very small dealership. I told him I had done a fair amount of research and it seems to point to possible torque converter issues.

With mine (as a couple other noted) it is more pronounced for me when the truck gets warmed up. You can still feel it when cold but not near as much as when the fluid is warmed up. It also is more pronounced when on an incline at that rpm. It almost feels like a very high frequency clutch chatter to me on my foot when I am in the 2000rpm range.

I hope I don't get a long run around and I will make sure they call it in if they can't replace it yet. Hopefully others here are doing the same. They have to hear from everybody if we want to get a fix going.

Thanks guys!
-Kuz