DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram MPG Zone

Notices

Dodge Ram MPG Zone Discuss your MPG woes and helpful hints here!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-24-2014, 12:42 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 dodge ram 1500 4x4 SLT
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Lava red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Jkanebell is on a distinguished road
Default 91 oct

I recently made the jump from 89 to 91. Ive noticed a MPG decrease. Is that normal? I may add that is is 10 degrees here in Kansas so that may also contribute. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed the MPG differnce. On the other hand - the truck hauls serious ace now.. even with 35x12.5 MT's and a 3 inch lift.

Thank you for your time!

Sponsored links
Old 01-26-2014, 12:06 AM
God Bless Texas!

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lonestar QC
Color: White
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:2929
RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

You're getting a hotter burn in your fuel, so you're gonna have more HP, which doesn't necessarily mean better mpg. Could be your driving habits, too. You're noticing the fun factor going up when the skinny pedal goes down. And when the fun factor goes up, the mpg usually goes down.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:33 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 RCSB Ram
Trim Level: ST
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:460
Hornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of light

[QUOTE=RogerRamJet;1308500]You're getting a hotter burn in your fuel, so you're gonna have more HP,

Curious where you got that info from.
My understanding is there's less energy the higher the octane,as in less heat output or BTU's from a gallon of gas.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:06 AM
God Bless Texas!

RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Hornet;1308655]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRamJet View Post
You're getting a hotter burn in your fuel, so you're gonna have more HP,

Curious where you got that info from.
My understanding is there's less energy the higher the octane,as in less heat output or BTU's from a gallon of gas.
Less energy in higher octane, eh? So, when the NASCAR Cup series cars put out 850 horses, it's not because their running 110 octane in their tanks? Yeah, yeah, I know. For all of you motor heads out there, it's the compression ratio. But the higher the octane, the better the fuel will compress, giving you a hotter burn and a bigger boom.
Study up on what octane is, Hornet. In this case, bigger is better.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:07 AM

Vehicle: 2013 RCSB Ram
Trim Level: ST
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:460
Hornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of light

I have,i think you better do some reading lad.
Um how does an 850 horse Nascar engine compare to a normal street engine,two totally differant engines,with differant fuel requirements by a long shot.
Don't be dumb enough to try using those 2 engine classes as a comparision,not gonna work
The lower the octane,the more complete the burn,hence more power output from a gallon.
There is no "Boom" as you say,it's a "Burn".
If you have a "boom" you've got pre-ignition,that'll wipe out ring lands pretty fast.
Higher octane fuel has been proven to cause "carbon" build-ups too.
The lower the octane you can get away with the better

Maybe dig out some articles backing up your claims,i'm always up for some reading,and not adverse to changing my mindset,so prove to me your claims.

Last edited by Hornet; 01-27-2014 at 07:15 AM.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:07 AM
God Bless Texas!

Congratulations, you just answered the OP's original question. Well done, sir.

Too time consuming to argue this via a keyboard. Let's just say the OP got his answer as to why his MPG went down with higher octane and leave our discussion for another day, another place.

Reps to you Hornet, for a great discussion and answer.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:52 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Dark Red
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:44
THasse is on a distinguished road

I've had it happen before also. Usually happens in the winter it seems like, near as I can tell. Normally I get better though, atleast when it's above freezing. I'm not positive, but I've been told before that part of it is the truck ECM "learning" how you drive again when you've changed a factor. Give it a couple tanks before you do your math and see how it's going then.

For octane, again this is the way I understand it. The higher the octane, the higher the potential in each molecule. It also burns more consistently because it requires more heat to combust but it actually burns cooler once combusted, thus giving a more complete and controlled burn. The more input required from the electrical spark is why the higher octanes are more resistant to a pre-ignition.
Hope that helps some.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:09 PM
God Bless Texas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by THasse View Post
I've had it happen before also. Usually happens in the winter it seems like, near as I can tell. Normally I get better though, atleast when it's above freezing. I'm not positive, but I've been told before that part of it is the truck ECM "learning" how you drive again when you've changed a factor. Give it a couple tanks before you do your math and see how it's going then.

For octane, again this is the way I understand it. The higher the octane, the higher the potential in each molecule. It also burns more consistently because it requires more heat to combust but it actually burns cooler once combusted, thus giving a more complete and controlled burn. The more input required from the electrical spark is why the higher octanes are more resistant to a pre-ignition.
Hope that helps some.
You say tomato, I say tomoto, Hornet says mater. I think we've all said the same thing in a different way.

Great post, T!
Old 03-03-2014, 10:29 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 2500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2010-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 383hp 400lb/ft (2500/3500)
Rep:49
glcarter is on a distinguished road

Octane deals with how much compression/heat the fuel will take prior to pre-ignition. The higher the octane rating the more you can compress it. The reason that when people use tuners they have to go to higher octane is because they lean out the air fuel mixture and advance timing to increase power, a lean tune is a powerful tune. In stock form the 5.7 hemi is set to run 87-89 octane. Combustion temp are not hot enough to reliably burn all the fuel in the engine when higher octane fuel is used. That is why the owners manual states that 91 octane is not recommended.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:47 PM
BULLYS PERFORMANCE

Vehicle: MOPAR
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:931
Bully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to behold

I will second this ^^^, Unless you are running a Tuner with a 91 or 93 Octane tune I would not use 91 Octane, I would also try to stay away from fuels that have ethanol in them if at all possible, if you kind find a plain old school unleaded 87 that would be best for the truck, however if you get a tuner and a few bolt on Mods I would run a 91 or 93 Octane fuel with a 91 Octane tune, I know a lot of people swear by the 93 octane tunes, however I have seen pretty high KR's with the 93 tunes on 93 Octane especially the winter blends. And if you are not running a catch can I would not even dare try to do a 93 tune, you might be able to get away with a 91 Tune but still better if you have a catch can to reduce the contaminates introduced into the fuel.

If you have any other questions or would like to get a tuner so that you can effectively run your higher octane fuel feel free to reach out to us via PM or posting in our Vendor Section, you can also email us directly at sales@bullysperformance.com or call us toll free at 855-432-FAST we are always more than willing to help out forum Members, just remember if you contact us off of the boards to mention you are a Z member to insure you get the best discounts

Thanks
Jeremiah

ALSO Feel free to PM us, OR post in our Vendor Section for quotes/questions/assistance!