DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video All custom mods on the interior of your Dodge Ram. Dodge Ram stereo mods, alarms, electronics, shift knobs, upholstery, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-26-2014, 08:30 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Ram
Rep:10
dlriffe is on a distinguished road
Default 2013 Ram Audio Upgrade Questions

A few questions, I'm looking to upgrade the audio in my 2013 Ram 1500 Quad Cab. I have the stock 10 speaker Alpine system with the 8.4an h/u. I want to keep the head unit due to it's features, but I want to upgrade the quality of the sounds as well put in a sub enclosure. I have replaced all the stock speakers with Polks, and I was going to replace the 8" speaker enclosure with an aftermarket custom box with 2 12s.

I want some extra volume from my surround sound speakers. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make it happen without spending beau coup dollars on aftermarket high end gear? All I really want to do is bump up the volume on the front doors and dash speakers.

Secondly, Is there just one amplifier driving every speaker? Or, is there a separate for the subwoofer?

Danny
Sponsored links
Old 01-27-2014, 08:10 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 2500
Trim Level: big horn
Color: grey
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:31
autokraftgt is on a distinguished road

I highly recommend the JBL MS-8 for you. Noth the most expensive processor out there, but will do everything you need, and then some.
Be careful with two 12" subwoofers, there are only a handful that will perform to their potential in the limited airspace that is available for our trucks. I run two Arc Audio Black 12's and they do pretty good. I would probably recommend 10's as they will require less space and will out perform a starving pair of 12's any day of the week.
Food for thought
Can't comment on your last question
Old 01-28-2014, 01:23 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram CC 4x4
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Sagebrush
Rep:87
kkreit01 will become famous soon enough

The cheapest you can get by with is the AudioControl LC6i. This is what I'm using. It will sum 6 channels, and provide a signal to an aftermarket amp. All the speakers are currently running off the crappy OE Alpine amp. All the filtering is done at the amp, and there is not a full-range signal present currently. The LC6i does not have any built-in EQ, and the summed signal still needs it. If I had to do it over, I would get the LCQ-1. I'd recommend a 5 channel amp -- to power your subs + front speakers. You may want to get better speakers later on. I assume you have Polk Coaxial in every location now?

I worked on my system off and on for most of the summer (it's still not done). I tried many speakers up front, and in many locations. In the end, I decided the dash speakers were ruining the sound for me. I kept the center channel for Uconnect and navi voice. Currently, there's a night and day difference between my Ram, and the same OE system in my Jeep. I didn't spend a huge amount of money, and did it in phases. These systems are a major pain to make a significant change.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:42 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 cc 4x4
Color: Granite
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:32
finn5033 is on a distinguished road

Just a question here. I ordered my truck with the speaker upgrade. Is it not that good? Or does it sound pretty good it's just not nearly as loud as you would like? Just curious, I love a good sounding stereo and am hoping the stock alpine system will be nice
Old 01-28-2014, 02:57 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 2500 CC LB 4X4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: white
Rep:73
Trackstand will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by finn5033 View Post
Just a question here. I ordered my truck with the speaker upgrade. Is it not that good? Or does it sound pretty good it's just not nearly as loud as you would like? Just curious, I love a good sounding stereo and am hoping the stock alpine system will be nice

The stock 10 speaker Alpine is pretty nice, it just wont shake the seats cuz its under powered and such. its more then enough for 75% of people i would guess. I am one of the other 25% thats looking for more. I am going to start with 4 new 6X9 in the doors and two new in the dash. then one 10" under the rear seats.
Old 01-28-2014, 03:55 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 cc 4x4
Color: Granite
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:32
finn5033 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackstand View Post
The stock 10 speaker Alpine is pretty nice, it just wont shake the seats cuz its under powered and such. its more then enough for 75% of people i would guess. I am one of the other 25% thats looking for more. I am going to start with 4 new 6X9 in the doors and two new in the dash. then one 10" under the rear seats.
Ok good, I really liked the Bose stereo in my 04 Sierra. I am sure the alpine system in the Rams is better than that was.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:30 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Ram1500
Color: White
Rep:25
Brady.40 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by autokraftgt View Post
I highly recommend the JBL MS-8 for you. Noth the most expensive processor out there, but will do everything you need, and then some.
Be careful with two 12" subwoofers, there are only a handful that will perform to their potential in the limited airspace that is available for our trucks. I run two Arc Audio Black 12's and they do pretty good. I would probably recommend 10's as they will require less space and will out perform a starving pair of 12's any day of the week.
Food for thought
Can't comment on your last question
I'm trying to figure out which DSP would work best without wasting money. What makes you suggest the JBL MS-8 vs. the JL Audio CleanSweep?

Thanks for any advice!
Old 01-29-2014, 09:06 AM

Vehicle: 2011 2500
Trim Level: big horn
Color: grey
Rep:31
autokraftgt is on a distinguished road

My friend uses the CleanSweep and he seems to love it...i have no real world experience with it as an owner so I should not comment on it. I have owned the MS-8 in the past for another vehicle and it was great. This processor is one of the more user friendly units by far. And their auto tune is THE BEST by far so getting your system to sound really nice is a huge advantage. With many other processors, a lot of guys feel that their sound quality takes a hit at first and it usually does simply because the processor is so dang tricky to tune and figure out. It can take months to get all your parameters set to where it sounds good. Time alignments, crossover settings, phase, 30+ bands of eq PER speaker, level matching....it can become daunting for many....the MS-8 is not that way.....there is still a learning curve, but much easy to become comfortable with.
I purchased an Arc Audio PS-8 a few months back and that thing has so many features, but the instruction manual looks like a flight manual for a 747.All processors have pros and cons, so review them all, and one should fit your needs more than the rest.....price points are all over the place too
Old 01-31-2014, 10:09 AM

Vehicle: 2013 1500, CC/6'4", Hemi/8 spd
Trim Level: Longhorn
Color: Flame Red
Rep:352
DAA is just really niceDAA is just really niceDAA is just really niceDAA is just really nice

Quote:
Ok good, I really liked the Bose stereo in my 04 Sierra. I am sure the alpine system in the Rams is better than that was.
It's not. We have an '04 Denali with the Bose system and it absolutely stomps a mud hole in the Alpine system in my '13 Ram. Not even close. The '04 Bose is WAY better.

I've replaced all the speakers in mine except the sub now, and it's a lot better than it was, but still not as good. The more I drive my truck and the more I use the stereo, the more I'm thinking those dash speakers bouncing off the windshield really suck. Nice and bright and clear with new speakers there, but quite fatiguing on a longer haul. Helps to use the fader to bring them down some.

But, anyway, my opinion, and I own both, no your new Alpine system in your new Ram isn't going to be nearly as good as the Bose system in your old Sierra.

Note - I'm way more of an Alpine fan the Bose fan, too. But I think the only thing "Alpine" or "Bose" about these factory systems is that GM and Ram licensed the use of the names.

- DAA
Old 01-31-2014, 11:24 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram CC 4x4
Color: Sagebrush
Rep:87
kkreit01 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
It all depends on your point of reference. If you are used to high-quality aftermarket systems, it will sound bad. It sounds bad compared to my previous Lincoln THX II system (really bad). I haven't heard the Bose systems, but I've read they sound OK. If your reference is a stock Ford or Chrysler stereo with 4 speakers, the OE Alpine system is nice upgrade. Put it this way, given the name and hype (Chrysler's specs), it should and could sound much better. The cheapest aftermarket Alpine speakers would sound better. And who puts a high-pass on a rear 6x9?!

Last edited by kkreit01; 01-31-2014 at 11:26 AM.