DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram MPG Zone

Notices

Dodge Ram MPG Zone Discuss your MPG woes and helpful hints here!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-28-2014, 12:19 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Big Horn
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Mineral Gray
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
joostan is on a distinguished road

I'm sure the dealer would try to void the warranty from doing this. But adding the wires in parallel makes it pretty easy to remove if need be. I can't think of any other reason not to try this
Old 01-28-2014, 12:32 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Sport Crew Cab ST
Trim Level: Express
Color: White
Rep:17
ramman2012 is on a distinguished road

I already had the 6 gauge RED wire you see and built my own custom lengths. The 6 gauge from the alternator output to battery is the black wire that follows the stock harness from Alternator to fuse box. If I had to do it again, I would just by the black or red 4 or 6 gauge pre built battery cables. This way you can cut them to Size and only have to put ends on one end (and get two cables out of it) as they come pre terminated with nice connectors. You can get 2' , 4', 6' lengths pre assembled at Walmart, Auto Zone etc. To keep it clean and neat and not obvious I used custom lengths. Again, you are not replacing cables, your doubling down on them which fit without issue and keep the install simple. The dual "bolt" heavy duty battery posts are from Auto Zone as well. I had not yet mentioned the stock battery posts here either. What a joke....."el cheapo" stock from dodge. I often wonder if dodge is making the Express series trucks on the cheap?? I would guess the ram diesel 2500's may not have some of the cost reductions the Gas trucks have? I'll have to pop a hood and look at the diesel wiring next time I'm in the dealership. All in all a very inexpensive update that has impressed me thus far as previously mentioned. If your not comfortable with the work, you can have any reputable car Audio shop perform the upgrade. Just mention the BIG THREE electrical upgrade. Note: I see BIG THREE around here is also used to describe and air intake, exhaust, and chip change of sorts as well.

Good day....

PJ

Last edited by ramman2012; 01-28-2014 at 12:40 PM. Reason: grammer
Old 01-28-2014, 12:48 PM
Addicted to the Z

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Trim Level: Crew Cab 4X4 Limited
Color: PX8 Black
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:2471
RansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond repute
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramman2012 View Post
I already had the 6 gauge RED wire you see and built my own custom lengths. The 6 gauge from the alternator output to battery is the black wire that follows the stock harness from Alternator to fuse box. If I had to do it again, I would just by the black or red 4 or 6 gauge pre built battery cables. This way you can cut them to Size and only have to put ends on one end (and get two cables out of it) as they come pre terminated with nice connectors. You can get 2' , 4', 6' lengths pre assembled at Walmart, Auto Zone etc. To keep it clean and neat and not obvious I used custom lengths. Again, you are not replacing cables, your doubling down on them which fit without issue and keep the install simple. The dual "bolt" heavy duty battery posts are from Auto Zone as well. I had not yet mentioned the stock battery posts here either. What a joke....."el cheapo" stock from dodge. I often wonder if dodge is making the Express series trucks on the cheap?? I would guess the ram diesel 2500's may not have some of the cost reductions the Gas trucks have? I'll have to pop a hood and look at the diesel wiring next time I'm in the dealership. All in all a very inexpensive update that has impressed me thus far as previously mentioned. If your not comfortable with the work, you can have any reputable car Audio shop perform the upgrade. Just mention the BIG THREE electrical upgrade. Note: I see BIG THREE around here is also used to describe and air intake, exhaust, and chip change of sorts as well.

Good day....

PJ
Thanks this is some very useful information. I must do an inspection now. You are correct that this is an easy mod with perhaps some impressive benefits.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:03 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram CC 4x4
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Sagebrush
Rep:87
kkreit01 will become famous soon enough

Until you average over time, the initial MPG increase means nothing. I'm guessing it's from the ecu reset, and not the "big 3".
Old 01-28-2014, 01:25 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 cc 4x4
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Granite
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:32
finn5033 is on a distinguished road

I agree this is very interesting. Even if it doesn't improve mpg, the extra power to the lights, stereo etc would be nice.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:27 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 2500HD
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:563
Iqudayo is a name known to allIqudayo is a name known to allIqudayo is a name known to allIqudayo is a name known to allIqudayo is a name known to allIqudayo is a name known to all

Interesting something new to look at

To many mods to list ask and I shall give you all the information, and help I can.
Everything from outside to interior.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:52 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Sport Crew Cab ST
Color: White
Rep:17
ramman2012 is on a distinguished road

All,

I'm done with this thread. Take it for what it's worth. No, I've had previous resets as I have upgraded my radio gear several times over the last year and always disconnect the battery for long periods. Correct, at a minimum quicker starts, brighter head lamps, and I'd bet a better charging circuit. If some others try this out...come back and post your experience. I am only one I suppose, but have had noticeable experience in this change and was the driving reason in sharing.

Over and out....

PJ
Old 01-28-2014, 03:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Color: Black
Rep:10
ncgrl1 is on a distinguished road

Thanks Ramman...Very interesting thread!
Old 01-28-2014, 06:22 PM

Vehicle: 2012 ram
Rep:117
Red-Stripe will become famous soon enoughRed-Stripe will become famous soon enough

No one has doubted you have seen better mpg #'s. A few of us have only suggested the cause may be from a change of voltage to all/some of the emission sensors, and not from a hotter spark. Cat O2, air temp sensors... etc would all be possible engine control areas that might take some time to re-adjust to a different voltage. The engine may be temporarily operating more lean than usual.
I've experienced ignition modules with 10.5 volt internal regulation. Race guys have bought special high voltage batteries and raised their alternator regulator voltage, then been dissapointed they didn't make more engine HP. If only they knew their ignition module was regulated at 10.5 volts....
Old 01-28-2014, 08:00 PM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:636
huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

i know nothing about electronics, but could someone explain how this could increase mpg? tks all