DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion > Other Vehicle Discussion

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-26-2014, 08:56 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2001 1500 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: slt
Color: red
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:24
LittleRed is on a distinguished road
Default Wanna new dart, thoughts?

Ok I drive 45 miles one way to work. Bought a 98 ranger because I had two rangers in the past (a 90 and 89) and they ran great. Unfortunately the 98 is a POS. Never buy another ford again. So I want to bite the bullet and buy a car that's decent looking good mpg and manual trans. Gotta have a Manual. I'm still devastated they no longer have a v8 truck with a manual trans. Anyhow Id rather pay a monthly payment then buying parts for the ranger constantly. Thoughts on the new dart? who has one? Do you like it? I want a 14 sxt with the 2.4l and 6 spd. Anyone have real life mpgs with the 2.4? And what's the 5 year 100,000 mile warranty like ? Thanks everyone for any info !
Sponsored links
Old 01-27-2014, 06:12 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2005 QC 4X4 HEMI RAM
Trim Level: Thunder Road
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:418
hydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nice

I'd try out both the 2.4 and the little turbo 1.4 . I've heard of guys getting 40+ mpg. BTW, I had a 96 Ranger with the 3.0, bought it new. Nice little truck, but same mpg as my hemi and slow as a slug. The Darts look pretty nice, so do the new Cherokees.
Inertia Spartan Plus cam, Circle D 3,000 rpm stall converter,Sonnax line pressure booster, Vararam, JBA's with cut outs, Borla duals, Rancho 9000's,3:92's, extra rear leaf. 200,000 miles To Hell and back. 14.2/96 mph NEDW
Old 01-28-2014, 08:57 AM

Vehicle: 2014 VW Jetta GLI
Color: Metalic Black
Rep:1358
Excoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud of

I recently traded in my Ram. One of the first cars that I test drove was a Dart. I was extremely disappointed in the one that I drove. The Dart was one of many cars that I drove over a period of about a week.

It was billed as a Limited/ GT model with the 1.4L Tiger Shark engine with a 6MT.

The gear box felt sloppy to me, it's like I had to reach an extremely long distance to get it into gear. The clutch grabbed at the top of the pedal (OK I realize that this could be specific to the car, and I could get used to it eventually). The seats were not real comfortable, they were actually kind of hard.

The handling was decent, I wouldn't say great, but decent. The ride quality was merely OK.

I ended up going with a VW Jetta GLI. I picked it up from just over $26K fully loaded. I have only filled it up once in the little over 2 weeks that I've owned it, and I saw 27.7 mpg (as calculated by hand). I wasn't trying to get good mileage, and I wasn't trying to see what the car was capable of (well OK maybe a little), I was pretty much going where I needed to go.

I encourage you to go out and test drive not only the Dart, but several other similar cars as well. Even if you like the Dart, don't limit your options, as you can always come back, but you also might find something else that you like better.

Good luck and let us know how you make out

Exco
Oracle Interior LEDs, EGR Vent Visors, Ram eyes, Husky Liner Splash Guards, R/T Badges Front and Rear, LED Light Bar, Stubby Radio Antenna, Custom Shift Knob, ARE LS II bed cover, Bed Rug, Flowmaster 50 series HD, SilverStar Ultra low beams, K&N drop in filter, MOPAR sill guards, Smitty Built nerf bars, 24% tint on the front.
Bill
Old 01-28-2014, 10:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Thanks its going to be a little while like maybe 2 or 3 months depending on how fast I get the body work rolling on the ram. Anyhow I get 25mpg right now from the Ranger. That's a 2.5l 4 Banger with the 5 sod babying it. If I try to keep up with traffic I get 23. I'd like to see atleast 30 with a new fwd car. As far as the clutch goes I know the feeling. All 3 rangers I have own don't grab until almost all the way out. I find myself getting in my ram and basically dropping the clutch cause I'm not expecting it to grab so soon. Ill definitely drive a couple different models. I'm just hard pressed to try anything other then a mopar at this point. I have been really disappointed by other brands.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:07 AM

Vehicle: 2014 VW Jetta GLI
Color: Metalic Black
Rep:1358
Excoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRed View Post
I'm just hard pressed to try anything other then a mopar at this point. I have been really disappointed by other brands.
I understand where you're coming from. Use the time that you've got wisely, head out to several different dealerships, and drive several different types of cars. You've got the time, have a little fun at the expense of the vultures. I think I test drove about 6 or 8 different cars, everything from a blue oval to the Dart and Avenger to VW, Kia, Chevy and Hyundai, and I did it all in about 3 days LOL.

I've had my VW for about 2 wks now. I've been very impressed with the car, not so much with the service department at VW, as they don't appear to be as knowledgeable as I've expect.

keep us informed

Exco
Oracle Interior LEDs, EGR Vent Visors, Ram eyes, Husky Liner Splash Guards, R/T Badges Front and Rear, LED Light Bar, Stubby Radio Antenna, Custom Shift Knob, ARE LS II bed cover, Bed Rug, Flowmaster 50 series HD, SilverStar Ultra low beams, K&N drop in filter, MOPAR sill guards, Smitty Built nerf bars, 24% tint on the front.
Bill
Old 01-29-2014, 11:32 AM

Vehicle: 2014 RAM
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Deep Cherry Red
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:121
canadian.bacon will become famous soon enoughcanadian.bacon will become famous soon enough

I drove a passat for a while, vw dealerships excel at being at the bottom of the barrel in customer satisfaction.
another surprise you will have with vw is that they are expensive to keep on the road and they do break down a lot. maybe things have changed, but my passat was a bitch. not to mention, i think the passats are still made in Germany and everything else in good ol' mexico.
after ford, in my books, vw is the next brand i will never buy ever again.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:19 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Sport Reg Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Sport Reg Cab
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:178
rdsabin has a spectacular aura aboutrdsabin has a spectacular aura about

My little brother has a 13 Dart. Although his has the automatic, he commutes over 200 miles a day to work and back 97% is highway and has consistently received 34.6 this winter. In the summer he was pushing 38 and this is on a brand new motor. He is very satisfied with it. The vehicle did not come with cruise so I put it in for Christmas for him, however I gave it to him early so he could get some use out of it before the snow and ice came. You do not have to have the car flashed to update for the cruise which is great.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:36 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500
Trim Level: Laramie QC
Color: Blue Streak Pearlcoat
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:25
dleininger is on a distinguished road

The Dart is a great little car for what it is...no its not a sports car, but its a stylish fun commuter car and gets great mpg. Try to find a leftover Mopar 13 Dart if you can. If not, then get a 2.4l GT.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:47 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Thanks for all the info guys. All this talk makes me want one now! haha but who knows maybe I wont like the dart. As far as models I like the looks of the sxt rallye with those almost black rims. I'm going to call a dealer close to me and ask them to let me know if they get a manual trans in so I can test drive one. Everyone in pa must be wussys because I could only find 2 manuals in pa. Its a real shame. no offense against autos I'm just sad manuals are dying.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:27 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:248
SteelTownStang has a spectacular aura aboutSteelTownStang has a spectacular aura aboutSteelTownStang has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRed View Post
Ok I drive 45 miles one way to work. Bought a 98 ranger because I had two rangers in the past (a 90 and 89) and they ran great. Unfortunately the 98 is a POS. Never buy another ford again. So I want to bite the bullet and buy a car that's decent looking good mpg and manual trans. Gotta have a Manual. I'm still devastated they no longer have a v8 truck with a manual trans. Anyhow Id rather pay a monthly payment then buying parts for the ranger constantly. Thoughts on the new dart? who has one? Do you like it? I want a 14 sxt with the 2.4l and 6 spd. Anyone have real life mpgs with the 2.4? And what's the 5 year 100,000 mile warranty like ? Thanks everyone for any info !
You said that you had two Ford trucks that ran great, and one that didn't, but you'll never buy another Ford. I find that funny, and you'll find that's how it goes with most brands. Back to topic, there are a lot more cars out there that are better than the Dart for the money, including... Yes, a few Fords.
MODS: Magnaflow Cat-Back Exhaust, aFe Stage II CAI, Extang Solid-Fold Tonneau, Mopar Side Steps, Mopar Mats & Bedliner, AMP Bed XTender, Daystar 2.5 Leveling Kit, Fuel Pump Black Wheels (20x9/+1 Offset), Toyo Open Country Extreme A/T Tires (35/12.50/20), Aries Stealth Bull Bar, & KC SlimLites.