DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2014 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2014 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2014 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-29-2014, 11:09 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 1999 Dodge Ram
Rep:10
Clocked92 is on a distinguished road
Default Still can't decide what one to get

I have been lurking on the forum for awhile learning as much as I can about the Ram trucks. I am going to buy a new truck I kept by summer but I still don't know what I want.

My two options are a 2014 Ram sport 1500 and a 2014 Ford Raptor. Both trucks have their advantages and disadvantages and I know they are both made for something completely different.

I live in Canada so I have to deal with lots of snow every winter. I also like hunting so my truck would see some gravel road and trail use. How are the sports for any kind of off road use or deep snow? The main things leaning me towards ram are fuel economy and price.

Just looking for some input. Thanks
Sponsored links
Old 01-29-2014, 11:20 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: Longhorn
Color: Black Gold w/ White Gold
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
THT is on a distinguished road

Well, my 2 cents worth... I have a couple friends that have the raptors and none of them really like them after the newness wears off. Both complain about the horrible MPG and they have said that all that extra stuff Ford put's on the truck to make it a raptor, seems to work loose and rattle. Hope this helps!
Old 01-29-2014, 11:52 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:156
RandyW has a spectacular aura aboutRandyW has a spectacular aura about

Unless you just love the BODY of the raptor, I wouldn't own one. You can setup another truck for offroad use MUCH better and much cheaper than the Raptor is setup. Like the last guy said, MPG is HORRIBLE for that truck. I was all into looking at one a while back. The minute I saw the MPG rating on the sticker, I just laughed and said "no way in hell."

There's a guy down the road from where I live who has one. He uses it as a weekend truck. That's about what they are good for.
2014 Ram 1500 4x4 Crew Cab Big Horn (3.21 gears) - Black Ext. Black/Grey Int. Mods include: Weathertech Digital Floormats, Limo Tint + Windshield, 2.5" HBS Leveling Kit, Blacked out badges, LED bulbs Interior/Exterior, 13" Stubby AntennaX, In-Cab Air Filter Mod, 18" Ultra Baron Wheels & 275/70R18 Nitto Trail Grapplers.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:04 PM

Vehicle: 2014 RAM
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Deep Cherry Red
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:121
canadian.bacon will become famous soon enoughcanadian.bacon will become famous soon enough

Gas will ding you up here, the raptors pull about 11/16 mpg, it's not cheap, thats for sure.
they are capable, yes, but they are expensive. i'd rather make a ram really nice with probably less money.
at least the hemi has a lot of history, it is a mature engine.
Plus, come on, what do you expect from a RAM forum, to suggest a ford? LOL. I wonder if you asked the same question in the F150 forum.

If you don't know what you want, you don't want it hard enough and you will probably have second thoughts and regrets no matter what you will get. For you, the grass will always be greener on the other side.

Last edited by canadian.bacon; 01-29-2014 at 12:07 PM.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:13 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 1999 Dodge Ram
Clocked92 is on a distinguished road

I'm just looking for people who've had experience with both and to provide a first hand comparison. I also don't know how Capable the Sport is, seems kind of like a city truck. But what could be done to improve it off road?
Old 01-29-2014, 12:28 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 CC 4x4
Trim Level: 1500 Longhorn 4x4
Color: Western Brown Monotone
Rep:92
lowfast will become famous soon enough

Truthfully the cost will be about the same and so will the MPG's if you build the Ram to the same capability as the Ford. A good BDS lift with Fox shocks, new rims and 35" BFG's to match the Raptor will put the cost of the Sport within spitting distance of the Ford both in total cost and the MPG's it will return. I feel the Ram is a much nicer interior in sport guise but the Raptor exterior certainly does look agressive. Now, if you are less serious off road, for a few bones you can level the Ram sport with bilstiens, throw on a moderate wheel/tire package and for a few grand have a good ocasional offroader with reasonable MPG and the better looking interior and exterior IMHO.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:36 PM

Vehicle: 2013 dodge ram sport
Trim Level: sport
Color: silver
Rep:112
PunisheRR will become famous soon enoughPunisheRR will become famous soon enough

my stock 13 sport is more than capable of light offroad duty's and deep snow! I work in construction and have had it on some shady job sites and has never had to pulled out! I paid $40,000 for my absolutely fully loaded sport, and most raptors are $60,000 plus here in canada! $20000 thousand could make a serious raptor killer!
Old 01-29-2014, 12:50 PM

Vehicle: 2014 RAM
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Deep Cherry Red
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:121
canadian.bacon will become famous soon enoughcanadian.bacon will become famous soon enough

8 speed only on the ram
Old 01-29-2014, 01:13 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Laramie
Trim Level: Laramie Quad Cab
Color: White over Silver
Rep:16
DoubleIrish is on a distinguished road

I love the look of the Raptor. Just do. Makes me go "Rrrrrrgggggg!"

But they are a purpose-built truck. They don't haul much, they can't tow much, but they killer off-trail, I guess.

For my money, I would outfit a Ram (you get 8 speed, the air suspension, Uconnect). You get the off-road capability, but also load carrying and towing. If towing were not an issue and I didn't want to haul much, I'd look hard at the Toyota Tacoma. Some of those Tacomas can be made to be off-road monsters - very capable and a smaller trail footprint.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:24 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Maximum steel/silver
Rep:26
ApexCars is on a distinguished road

If you are trying to decide between a Raptor and any other truck, you need to get the other truck. If you feel that the Raptor is the ONLY truck built that will handle your needs get the Raptor. There is nothing out there that competes with the Raptor for high speed offroading with a full factory warranty. But for EVERYTHING but high speed off roading, every other truck is better. They do look cool and they are fun as hell for high speed offroad though. If I could talk my wife into letting me add another toy for me, and I had anywhere to actually go offroading on a regular basis, I would buy a Raptor.