DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram 4x4 - Offroad Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram 4x4 - Offroad Discussion All about Off-Road in here! From prep to execution! Let us know how you roll Off Road in your Dodge Ram Truck!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-07-2014, 07:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Express
Color: Silver
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:15
ksgries is on a distinguished road
Default First real Offroad adventure in my new truck

So I finally decided to take my baby down a real offroading trail. My 2 friends and I went alone in my truck. Needless to say that wasn't a good idea.

We went down this trail about a mile and came to a point where it branched out to 3 trails and then an open field. Keep in mind everything is frozen and there is a few inches of snow on everything also.

I stopped and looked at all three trails and chose the middle one, it looked the least challenging. Turns out I was wrong...

I start going and all of a sudden my truck drops about a foot! So I try to plow threw it. That didn't work I didn't move anywhere. I throw it in reverse, no luck, forward, no movement.

Go out...looked at my truck...realized im ****ed, I was completely bottomed out just spinning in the water.

The ice was broken where my tires are but was still a few inches thick under the middle of my truck.

After a few more attempts to rock it out and completely failing my truck started freaking out. Brakes wouldn't work lights were going off...bunch of issues.

So I called a friend with a sick older v10 ram. He came 30 minutes later looked and me and said I got lucky I bottomed out instead of going further.
He said that it gets even deeper..about 3 feet deep.

Thank god I didn't get any further. So he breaks out the tow strap starts trying to pull me out backwards..we didn't move. He had to start backing up and flooring it to yank my truck out. After the third time I was still stuck and he got stuck.

He aired down and gave it one last try. As he floored it, I floored it in reverse.

Finally I got out! I was freaking out though because my axle was just dragging in the ice. I thought something was going to break and I don't even have 2k miles on my truck hahah.

But anyway I don't think anything broke. Moral of the story...don't offroad alone

Old 02-07-2014, 08:49 PM
Stickers add Horsepower

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SXT 4x4
Color: Silver/ Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:2793
Canadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, one time and you learn your lesson lol. Never hit a trail alone unless you know the trail very well and have done it several times with your vehicle before without getting bogged out.

Glad to hear you made er out fine though, and had a bud with a bigger truck to pull ya out. Always handy to have a nice tow strap. good pull points and someone with a bigger rig to get you out. I am looking at getting a nice shackle receiver tomorrow for my rig, and make some custom tow hooks for my front end.
Tow mirrors up for the haters
Old 02-07-2014, 09:49 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Mineral Grey Metallic
Rep:722
macc08 is a splendid one to beholdmacc08 is a splendid one to beholdmacc08 is a splendid one to beholdmacc08 is a splendid one to beholdmacc08 is a splendid one to beholdmacc08 is a splendid one to beholdmacc08 is a splendid one to behold

glad you got out!

always make good pics though, lol
Old 02-08-2014, 12:11 AM
The Sound of Eight Hooves

Vehicle: 2013 Ram1500 4x4 8HP70 3.21LSD
Trim Level: Lone Star Quad Cab
Color: Bright White
Rep:519
Thunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Hemi Pride View Post
I am looking at getting a nice shackle receiver tomorrow for my rig, and make some custom tow hooks for my front end.
I got a Curt receiver shackle last month for mine . Which one are you looking at?
Old 02-08-2014, 12:35 AM
Stickers add Horsepower

Canadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhorse View Post
I got a Curt receiver shackle last month for mine . Which one are you looking at?
I don't know what brand it is, but it is the same one my friend has for his bronco and apparently it is on sale at a store in my city. These things are hard to find lol. How thick is your shackle?
Old 02-08-2014, 12:49 AM
The Sound of Eight Hooves

Vehicle: 2013 Ram1500 4x4 8HP70 3.21LSD
Trim Level: Lone Star Quad Cab
Color: Bright White
Rep:519
Thunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of light

I got it off Amazon, it was a little more expensive but I figured it was worth it since it is machined from a solid piece in the USA, instead of the square tube steel that a lot of the shackle mounts use. The actual shackle on it is a 3/4" dia forged Columbus McKinnon with a WLL of 6.5 tons. Its heavy as hell.

http://www.amazon.com/CURT-Manufactu...pd_sbs_auto_10
Old 02-08-2014, 01:08 AM
Stickers add Horsepower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhorse View Post
I got it off Amazon, it was a little more expensive but I figured it was worth it since it is machined from a solid piece in the USA, instead of the square tube steel that a lot of the shackle mounts use. The actual shackle on it is a 3/4" dia forged Columbus McKinnon with a WLL of 6.5 tons. Its heavy as hell.

http://www.amazon.com/CURT-Manufactu...pd_sbs_auto_10
Damn that is a nice one for sure. I am not 100% sure but I think the one I will be looking at tomorrow is this ONE. I'll have to get a good look at it and if it looks like junk, I am not gonna get it. Never got a solid look at my buds but he pulled my buds dakota out of the ditch the other week and it didn't break.. But I plan to put it to a much bigger test then that.
Old 02-08-2014, 02:46 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Mineral Grey Metallic
Rep:722
macc08 is a splendid one to beholdmacc08 is a splendid one to beholdmacc08 is a splendid one to beholdmacc08 is a splendid one to beholdmacc08 is a splendid one to beholdmacc08 is a splendid one to beholdmacc08 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Hemi Pride View Post
Damn that is a nice one for sure. I am not 100% sure but I think the one I will be looking at tomorrow is this ONE. I'll have to get a good look at it and if it looks like junk, I am not gonna get it. Never got a solid look at my buds but he pulled my buds dakota out of the ditch the other week and it didn't break.. But I plan to put it to a much bigger test then that.

ah princess auto... aka candyland!

ive been meaning to get a hitch just to put in my reciever... *stupid question alert* what size hitch/ball should I get?

Old 02-08-2014, 02:47 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Express
Color: Silver
Rep:15
ksgries is on a distinguished road

I just ordered a bunch of stuff to help prevent something like this from happening again

10,500# synthetic rope winch
2" Hitch winch plate
2 6.5ton shackles
1 3"x8' 26500 tow/tree saver strap
1 2'x20' tow strap
1 2" shackle receiver
1 Snatch block

hopefully all that will help
Old 02-08-2014, 09:39 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2015 Ram 3500
Trim Level: Tradesman
Color: White
Engine: 2013-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 385hp 850lb/ft (Aisin ASC69RC Automatic)
Rep:23
DonT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksgries View Post
I just ordered a bunch of stuff to help prevent something like this from happening again

10,500# synthetic rope winch
2" Hitch winch plate
2 6.5ton shackles
1 3"x8' 26500 tow/tree saver strap
1 2'x20' tow strap
1 2" shackle receiver
1 Snatch block

hopefully all that will help
Glad to see you are having fun and learning lessons you won't forget any time soon. At least no one was hurt and no real damage done.

Are you getting a front mount receiver for the winch? Don't forget power cables to go with it, I don't see them in the list. With the removable winch plate you need a way to disconnect the power cables. If you are going to mount the winch in the rear receiver you will need to run long power cables. Make sure the size the cables for load, don't forget to consider the length too. If you run power cables all the way to the rear, they may need to be larger than the manufacturer's recommendations.

Get a couple of sleeves to slide over the synthetic rope if they do not come with the winch. You will need them to protect the winch rope.

What is the rating on the 2" tow strap? it may not be enough for your truck or another truck you may need to help some day.

Have fun and be safe.