DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 4.7L PowerTech V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-09-2014, 11:02 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2002 Ram 1500 Reg Cab 2WD
Trim Level: ST
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:121
KelseytheDodgeGirl will become famous soon enoughKelseytheDodgeGirl will become famous soon enough
Exclamation Freshly bought 4.7 questions galore

Alright, I have a slew of questions here.
Here's the background info before I get too deep.
I just bought a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 last month. It is the first 4.7L I've had.
I'm sort of familiar with the 5.9 Magnum (have a '96) and the 5.7 Hemi (have a '06). The truck has 167K miles on it currently.
I'm sort of nervous about it because within the first 150 miles, I had a cylinder 8 misfire. The problem ended up being the rocker arm, which since we just bought it, the dealer fixed by just putting the rocker arm back without looking any deeper into the issue. Got it back and about 200 miles later, same problem, only with more other effects.

Cylinder 8 misfire, revved majorly on it's own, ran like hell and didn't want to go over 54 mph some of the time. Almost scared me to drive it back to the dealer--almost.

Looking into the problem further, I see that other people have the 'mysterious' rocker arm falling off for "no reason" problem.

The dealer replaced the Throttle positioning sensor and the lifter, as well as (and I quote) "some sensor thing for the transmission, but that didn't fix the problem." Ugh. Now it seems to be running great, *knock on wood*
The dealer is still willing to work with us if we have issues.

One place I looked said that I would have to replace all the rocker arms and the hydraulic lifters with new ones to actually fix the problem. Yikes!

How much would that cost? Is that actually the fix?
Could sludge/carbon build-up actually be the problem or is it really mechanical-- how the rockers/lifters are built?

(please keep in mind that I'm a college student, not a mechanic, some of the 'tech-speak' goes right over my head, though I am quite capable of figuring things out if I have to. )
Thanks for ANY Help or suggestions that anyone has!

1996 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie 5.2L V8 "The Beast"
2002 Dodge Ram 1500 ST 4.7L V8 "Silver" Build thread
2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie 5.7L V8 Hemi
Sponsored links
Old 02-10-2014, 11:00 AM
God Bless Texas!

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lonestar QC
Color: White
Rep:2929
RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

Some sensor thing for the transmission? Perhaps they didn't want to bury you in tech talk. More likely, however, was that they were throwing "sensor thingys" at it because they really didn't know what was wrong with it. Which is not a bad thing if it's their dime.
4.7's are known for sludge and that can cause some of the issues you're having. Might I suggest a quick, cheap preventative fix that might cure what's going on. Go to your local parts store, grab a couple cans of Seafoam, usually around $9 a can. Dump one can in your fuel tank. With the other can, wait until about 100 or so miles before your next oil change and dump the can in your crank case (where the engine oil goes). The Seafoam in your engine will help with the sludge and clean it up a bit. I can't promise it will help, but it sure won't hurt.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:19 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Seafoam is a good idea. I am not positive but I'd think if the rocker arm keeps falling off then the valve lash adjuster (lifter) is not filling with oil and filling the gap. With it loose, the rocker arm falls off. May not be a bad idea to replace all the valve lash adjusters(lifters). I wouldn't think the rockers need replaced unless damaged when falling off.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 02-10-2014, 03:35 PM

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad
Color: Grey
Rep:25
Maddevill is on a distinguished road

Just keep fresh oil in it and you won't have to worry about sludge.
Old 02-15-2014, 04:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

KelseytheDodgeGirl will become famous soon enoughKelseytheDodgeGirl will become famous soon enough
Post Update

Thank you guys for the feedback. RogerRamJet (and everyone that seconded the seafoam), I love that Seafoam! Never tried the motor treatment yet. Have used the tranny Seafoam before on all three of my trucks. I did go ahead and pick up some of the motor treatment.

I will add it when I get the truck back.

I found a leak in the radiator while doing an oil change and brought it to the dealer to have the radiator replaced. The say now that there is no leak. I know first hand there is a leak because I had coolant drip on my face. Oi vey.

Either way, I will definitely be keeping up to date (like I always do) with oil changes. I can't see the point in letting something like that go when it's relatively simple to do, even myself. It will be getting oil changes more frequently because when the dealer changed the oil, it looks like they changed it with a gallon of water, not oil. It was a MESS when we changed the oil.

I'm hoping to avoid changing out all the lifters as of right now, but I will have it done if it really does come down to that.

The dealer is over an hour away from where I live, so these trips to him are getting a little old. Ah, well. Sorry for writing a book.

Thanks for your help and suggestions.
Kelsey

Old 02-16-2014, 02:02 AM
God Bless Texas!

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lonestar QC
Rep:2929
RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the book... um, update, Kelsey. Here's to it all getting worked out!
Old 02-21-2014, 09:41 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: white
Rep:10
TooPoorForHemi is on a distinguished road

If you get the rockers and lifters replaced get the timing chain + the timing chain tensioner replaced at the same time to save money while it's apart and half way there. Timing chains tend to go bad around 160-180k. So it'd be a solid investment.
Old 02-21-2014, 03:24 PM

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad
Color: Grey
Rep:25
Maddevill is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooPoorForHemi View Post
If you get the rockers and lifters replaced get the timing chain + the timing chain tensioner replaced at the same time to save money while it's apart and half way there. Timing chains tend to go bad around 160-180k. So it'd be a solid investment.
And the water pump while you're in there.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:50 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Talking Thanks again!

Thanks you guys!
All the help and suggestions are so helpful.
So, Here's to many more awesome Dodge miles!