DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 4.7L PowerTech V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-09-2014, 09:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2002 Ram 1500 Reg Cab 2WD
Trim Level: ST
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:121
KelseytheDodgeGirl will become famous soon enoughKelseytheDodgeGirl will become famous soon enough
Question Muffler/exhaust system suggestions?

As long as all goes well with my 2002 that I just recently bought, I will be doing work on the exhaust.

I have little to no experience with this. All my vehicles have stock... everything.

I love the sound of glasspacks, Flowmaster American Thunder, Flowmaster Super40, etc.

The only thing is, I'll be driving this truck every day. I want it to sound like there's something there. I like the aggressive/mean sound... the low notes, rumble, I like all that... but I don't want it to blast me out of the cab every time I drive it/accelerate.

Seeing as Right now, this is concept, I'm open to ANY AND ALL suggestions.
However, I'm in college, so I can't be throwing money at a muffler/exhaust I can't afford right now.

I don't know if you need to know this stuff, but it's a regular cab, 8 foot bed, base model (ST). Thanks in advance!

1996 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie 5.2L V8 "The Beast"
2002 Dodge Ram 1500 ST 4.7L V8 "Silver" Build thread
2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie 5.7L V8 Hemi
Sponsored links
Old 02-10-2014, 01:05 AM
God Bless Texas!

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lonestar QC
Color: White
Rep:2929
RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

I've got a 4.7 with a Magnaflow on it and I love the sound. I went a little fancy and deleted the Y pipe, then ran all new piping from the cats back in to a dual in, dual out Magnaflow, then had the exhaust dump out in from of the right rear tire, so the back end is quite a bit shorter than stock.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:25 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Maroon
Rep:18
AFMEDIC is on a distinguished road

Heart throb hasa kit that is less than 300 that I have been looking at but I'm not sure how it sounds. Hit YouTube up for sound clips
Old 02-11-2014, 01:27 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2008 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Black
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:10
hoosierbighorn is on a distinguished road

I have a Flowmaster 70 Series Big Block 2 on mine. Wanted the same thing... to know it was there, but not to be "that guy" that you can hear from a mile away. I'm really happy with it - has a deep throaty sound but not too loud. Rams are louder than other trucks even stock, so that's something to consider.

Bought the muffler for about $150 on amazon, cut the old one out, and had someone weld the new one in. I had them just do a turndown pipe out of the muffler, so it dumps out under the truck. Was easier that way and I think the turndown eliminates some of the drone that everyone complains about around 1800-2000 RPM, as it's never been an issue for me, and I like the look of just the rear bumper without the pipes.
Old 02-15-2014, 04:54 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2002 Ram 1500 Reg Cab 2WD
Trim Level: ST
Color: Bright Silver
Rep:121
KelseytheDodgeGirl will become famous soon enoughKelseytheDodgeGirl will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the suggestions, guys!
Though now that I've found a small radiator leak, looks like some of the muffler money will be going to that, more likely than not.
Ah, well. It's still great to have ideas!

1996 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie 5.2L V8 "The Beast"
2002 Dodge Ram 1500 ST 4.7L V8 "Silver" Build thread
2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie 5.7L V8 Hemi
Old 02-20-2014, 04:34 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram
Color: Maroon
Rep:18
AFMEDIC is on a distinguished road

Radiators are cheap and easy. Mine blew about 5 days after I bought the truck. Go on and replace the thermostat while you're under there and it will be easier than having to do it later.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:43 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram
Color: Silver
Jacagard is on a distinguished road

i had a thrush welded (40 series flow) on mine for a couple months. the drone around 2k rpm just got to be too much. I swapped it out for a 50 series flow and am much happier. nice and deep outside and much more tolerable on the inside. sounds great.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7L 4x2
Color: Silver
Laneylandjunior is on a distinguished road
Question Also looking for tips for an aggressive exhaust.

So, I live in Rural Central Illinois, where loud exhaust (straight pipes) aren't a problem with the police as long as you are cruising under 4k. I'm "inheriting" a 2002 dodge ram 1500 2wd 4.7 quad cab with 177k miles here soon and it is already loud. It's my girlfriend's daily driver, but her parents own it. Right now the exhaust is open muffler, because the welds broke through on the outlet of the muffler so the tailpipe is inactive. It rumbles well, but it sounds very... so to say.. fluffed. It's like you can hear the vacuum leak from up front in the exhaust when gliding along at 1500 rpm. I think it's what everyone calls, the "drone" effect. Anyways, I was wondering if I should just y-pipe it where the inlet for the muffler goes to 2.5" 'straights' (45 degrees with 3.5" tips.) Could anyone give me further information on how it would sound or give me tips to improve it's performance? I already know it needs front suspension and alignment, u-joints (clunks every now and then in reverse,) electrical work (power windows only work from master control, others work 0.5% of the time; rear power locks do not work; cd player is jammed,) cosmetic (dash is cracked in several places, seats torn, door pins are out of wack, etc.) and most of all it needs a tune-up. Could use some new plugs and wires, fluid changes, and tires all around (uniroyal junk at's) Could anyone give me basic suggestions and information to keep it on the road for a long time? mechanical/cosmetic, whatever. Thanks.
Old 09-11-2014, 10:56 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram Sport 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Demon13 is on a distinguished road

I just replaced my stock muffler with a Jones Turbine, Love the deep rumble, no drone and the performance increase is great. I haven't really had a chance to check the gas mileage but reviews have shown a descent increase. These are stainless steel and are a one way design. You can look them up on you-tube under AREO Turbine mufflers. Jones owns AREO. You can go on Ebay and spend $100 for the AREO version or $75 for the Jones. Not hard to figure out why I went with the Jones. Free Shipping got it in two days. Love it!