DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Body & Interior
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Body & Interior 2nd Gen Dodge Ram Body & Interior Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-12-2014, 10:27 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1999 Dodge Ram V8
Color: Black
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:10
Emartinez11 is on a distinguished road
Default 1999 Dash Replacement

so we all have probably had this problem..Dash has cracked and gone to hell..

Dont see any replacements anywhere on autozone or anything..Maybe rock auto?? anyone got any helpful links to affordable replacements?
Sponsored links
Old 02-13-2014, 09:32 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Ram 4x4 Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Red
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
tomcatg is on a distinguished road

Check lmctruck.com they carry dash replacement parts.
Old 02-16-2014, 11:57 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

appareciate it, pretty tough to find them. i dont want to just throw a cover over it.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:21 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Ram 4x4 Sport
Color: Red
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
tomcatg is on a distinguished road

Glad to help. EBay has some as well. I have a cover on mine for now and hate it. The rattling was getting on my nerves and I am planning on replacing it after it warms up, so it's ok til then.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:26 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

i mean after its replaced, yeah ill cover it, but to cover up that mess, it just looks dumb to me. id rather fix it, then cover it to protect it.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2013 1500 Quad Cab
Color: Black on Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:47
gusman is on a distinguished road

LMC ones are also treated to withstand UV exposure which is partially the reason for the stocks all cracking..
Old 03-20-2014, 09:50 AM

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Ram 1500
Rep:20
Paul89 is on a distinguished road

Brought mine at LMC Truck. I change mine out 3 or 4 weeks ago while changing out my heater core. Go to YouTube to get an idea on what’s involved. There is no DIY video for a 98-01 dash style replacement but the videos do help out. You will need to remove the dash air bag on the passenger side. Just Google how to remove the dash air bag and you’ll be fine. There are 15 screws on the underside of the pad that will need to be re-installed and one of those is at an angle, that one is by the light switch on the driver side. Remove the screws that hold it the light switch in the dash to gain access to that one screw. Most of all be patient. It will take 3 – 4 hours to install to get everything line up. Very please how it turn out when done.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:16 AM

Vehicle: 1999 dodge ram 1500 4X4
Trim Level: STQ
Color: butterscoth gold metalflake
dirt dauber is on a distinguished road

the biggest reason the dash cracks on our second generation trucks,is that the firewall was the only anchor,and this left the dash weak instead of reinforcing or support anchors somewhere else to keep it strong.
that is why there was a recall on second generation trucks.
I bought a complete coverlay for my truck and it fits perfectlysee my pictures and you will see.
it was $130.00 well spent
they mold a complete dash out of plastic about 1/2 inch thick and it gluesdown over your original dash,and you can't tell it from brand new
I bought mine from the parts department at the dealership.
Old 03-05-2015, 08:11 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 98 Ram 2500
Trim Level: Base
Color: White
ChrisSam is on a distinguished road

There are a couple of DIY Dash replacement vids on youtube.

Looks easy enough, I can do it.

These are not the overlays, they are full replacements.
Old 05-06-2015, 10:55 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram 2500
Trim Level: ST
Color: White
Engine: 2001-2003 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 24-Valve Diesel I6 235hp 460lb/ft (manual and auto)
dtrmmr is on a distinguished road

I just replaced the dash on my 2001 Ram 2500 with a dash from LMC Truck. LMC Truck has zero technical help (they suggest you talk to a local mechanic). On the other hand, the quality of the dash seems excellent, the color very close to matching the original (would probably be perfect except for 14 years of aging) and the fit was great. The youtube videos were only marginally helpful. In hope that the job goes smoother for you than it did for me, here is what I learned:

1. Chock the wheels. You will be taking the truck out of Park (auto trans.) and when you later tilt the dash out you are likely to release the parking brake.

2. Disconnect the leads from the negative side of both batteries. You do NOT want an air bag accident.

3. Move the gear shift (auto trans.) all the way down (low). Carefully pry the bezel away from the front of the dash and remove it.

4. Remove the glove box. To do this, flex the top of the box to pull the sides together and work the top sides of the glove box out of the dash. Once the top is clear, tilt the box down and it will detach.

5. Remove the trim piece at the top of the glove box opening (3 screws) and the glove box latch (2 screws).

6. Remove the air bag. Four small screws and three bolts at the front plus two bolts at the back (get at these from underneath the dash). Slide the airbag forward and disconnect the yellow connector. Then remove.

7. Remove the kick panel below the steering column. Three screws at the bottom and carefully pry it loose at the top.

8. Move the gear shift back to park and disconnect the gear indicator cable. On the steering column approximately opposite the gear shift handle and behind the dash, there is a lever that sticks out the side of the steering column. There is a small cable hooked to this lever ... remove it and then disconnect the cable from the mounting bracket.

9. Drop the steering column. Remove the two nuts on the bottom of the steering column and carefully lower the column. You may have to disconnect some wiring connectors as you lower the steering column.

10. On the lower front part of the dash there is a bolt on either side that connects the dash to the side of the truck. Loosen these two bolts.

11. Remove the five screws connecting the back of the dash to the firewall (8 mm). Tilt the top of the dash away from the windshield (about 4-6 inches). You may want to remove the column panel pieces to give you a little more room on the sides.

12. Remove the screws from the front of the dash (a bunch of them). Remove one screw from each side of the dash (connects upper dash to lower dash sides). Here comes the one tricky part ... remove 12 screws (7 mm) from the bottom windshield side of the dash. Eight of these screws connect the dash to the four vents and the other four screws connect the dash to the four outer metal supports. You will want an 8mm socket, 1/4 ratchet and various length extensions. It worked best for me to kneel on the seat and place my hands behind the dash on either side of the screw I was removing. Try REALLY HARD not to drop any screws. A magnet inside a deep dish socket helps.

13. Carefully pull the dash up and toward you. There is a heater tube connecting each side vent to the plenum. As you pull the dash out, you will need to reach in from the back side and pull these tubes loose (they will remain connected to the dash.

14. Test fit the new dash.

15. Disconnect the two heater tubes from the old dash and screw them onto the new dash (2 screws for the left tube and 1 screw for the right tube). NOTE: On the inner screw of the left tube, there are two holes in the dash that can line up with the screw hole in the tube ... use the INNER hole. Use the screws and washers that came with the new dash.

16. Place the dash in position, inserting the hearing tubes into the plenum as you go.

17. This step will probably take up more than 50% of the total installation time. Install the 12 screws (I used the original screws rather than the replacements that came with the dash). TIP: Wrap 1-2 layers of tape around the socket and screw to hold the screw in the socket ... you will still have to be careful but this will greatly reduce your chances of dropping a screw. I started the screws without the ratchet handle attached. When they were finger tight, I attached the ratchet handle and snugged them up). Start by installing the four screws that connect the dash to the four metal braces. Get snug but not tight. Next, install the eight screws that connect the dash to the four vents. You may have to do some pushing and pulling to get the holes to line up. However, if you manage to avoid bending any of the metal pieces, things should line up pretty well. After you have all 12 screws installed, tighten the screws holding the dash to the metal supports.

18. Tip the dash into position against the fire wall. There are two locating pins (on either side of the middle bolt connecting the dash to the fire wall). Make sure these pins mate with the holes in the fire wall. Install the five bolts connecting the dash the firewall.

19. Reverse steps 10 to 1.

If I had to do it over again, I might be able to do it in four hours. However, I think you should plan on 6-8 hours if you are doing it for the first time.

Last edited by dtrmmr; 05-06-2015 at 10:57 PM.