DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 4.7L PowerTech V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-23-2014, 08:06 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab
Color: blue
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
Scout is on a distinguished road
Default 2005 ram oil pressure and tapping

My ram 1500 with 4.7 loses oil pressure and taps on the top side I have changed oil pump sending unit thermostat and cleaned pan pick up and valve cover ran good for 45 minutes without any tapping or pressure prblems then started all over again I am at a loss. Dealer says these engines are notorious for this and reccomended new long block. Thoughts or comments please.
Sponsored links
Old 02-23-2014, 09:11 PM
God Bless Texas!

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lonestar QC
Color: White
Rep:2918
RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

How long have you had the truck? Very, very important that the engine oil gets changed out on these at regular intervals. Otherwise they tend to gunk up pretty bad and that tends to cause the tick and/or make it worse.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:44 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

On a regular basis every three to five thousand miles. When I tore it all down to get to the oil pump I did notice it was sludged up prettyy bad in the pan and under the valve covers. As mentioned after I changed out the pump, sending unit and thermostat and put it together i ran good fo about 45 minutes the los pressure but regained it quickly. I am changing the oil an filter again tonight and see what happens.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:45 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Oh by the way thnks and I have had the truck since it was brand new.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:26 PM
God Bless Texas!

RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout View Post
Oh by the way thnks and I have had the truck since it was brand new.
That's awesome that you've had it since new.

Quote:
On a regular basis every three to five thousand miles. When I tore it all down to get to the oil pump I did notice it was sludged up prettyy bad in the pan and under the valve covers. As mentioned after I changed out the pump, sending unit and thermostat and put it together i ran good fo about 45 minutes the los pressure but regained it quickly. I am changing the oil an filter again tonight and see what happens.
My first thought would be that the oil pump burped, but after 45 minutes, I would think that all burps should be out. It could have picked up a chuck of sludge. Is it a lifter tap or just the normal 4.7 tap? There is a difference. I've never seen my oil pressure drop, but I do have the infamous 4.7 tap when it's cold.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:55 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Thank you just performed a flush on the engine wish me luck I don't need to replace an engine good thing is the tap is light and on 1 side no knocking. Again I appreciate your input.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:05 PM
God Bless Texas!

Luck coming your way...
Old 02-25-2014, 04:25 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram SLT QC 4X4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver, PB2
hotkarl is on a distinguished road

Keep us posted...I'm going through the same crap and pricing out a new motor. My mechanic wants to try a couple of things first but I think it's a waste of time and money. I don't want to blow another couple of hundred bucks on a sender, pan drop & screen clean for nothing.
PS2 Bright silver, Hemi Quad cab, 3:92's, most of the other bells and whistles.

1998 Dodge Durango 5.2 4X4...The family truckster!
Old 02-26-2014, 08:47 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Will do by the way ran a 2 bottles of motor flusher through it and changed the oil and filter twice now holding pressure good no tapping but the guage drops and says I have no oil pressure. Funny thing is no tapping no knocking turn the truck off start it and guage goes to normal I am going to put a manual guage on it today and take the sending unit off and clean to make sure it did not pck up any trash. Thanks for the help guys. Next step if this dont work is to purchase a Remanufactured long block to the tune of $2,750.00 has a 3 year 100,000 mile warranty
Old 02-26-2014, 10:55 AM
God Bless Texas!

Quote:
Will do by the way ran a 2 bottles of motor flusher through it and changed the oil and filter twice now holding pressure good no tapping but the guage drops and says I have no oil pressure. Funny thing is no tapping no knocking turn the truck off start it and guage goes to normal I am going to put a manual guage on it today and take the sending unit off and clean to make sure it did not pck up any trash. Thanks for the help guys. Next step if this dont work is to purchase a Remanufactured long block to the tune of $2,750.00 has a 3 year 100,000 mile warranty
Voonderbar! Keep us posted.