DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Heating & Cooling

Notices

Heating & Cooling 4th Gen Dodge Ram Heating & Cooling Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-06-2014, 04:39 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
H3mi is on a distinguished road
Default Heater Clicking Loudly - K17 Recall

2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport

I have searched high and low and haven't been able to find any similar problems as I am having.

I see many 4th Gen Ram owners replacing the blend door actuator behind the center panel (radio area) but the actuator making the horrible clicking noise on my truck is directly behind the glove box.

A couple of questions.....

1.) My heater blower motor will be stuck on low sometimes. No matter how much you crank it up, it barely blows air. Is this a symptom of the clicking actuator as well or do I have other problems? The symptoms both came up at the same time.

2.) When the blower motor is working, no heat at all is coming from the drivers side vents. The passenger side warms up fine. Could this bad actuator cause such a thing?

3.) My Dodge Stealer states that this has been repaired once under recall and can no longer be covered. Does this seem legit?

4.) If I replace this actuator myself, do I still need the dealer to flash the computer???

Finally, if anyone knows what this actuator actually does, or has a diagram of the HVAC system, I would appreciate taking a look at it.

Thanks.
Sponsored links
Old 03-06-2014, 04:48 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 dodge ram 1500
Color: Deep Water Blue
BIGDOGD is on a distinguished road

My truck is at the dealership as we speak for the same recall i can promise you 1 thing if they don't fix the problem free of charge wether its 10yrs from now Dodge will have a big black man problem. How dare u use cheap parts after i pay 40,000-50,000 for your vehicle and u give me the run around. Sorry i had to vent!! Use better parts so your customers can be happy with what they purchased.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:18 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport 4x4
Color: Detonator Yellow
Rep:37
Airdog is on a distinguished road

I never actually experience the problem but I remember getting the notice in the mail a few years ago and taking my 09' in for the inspection/programming. They did the programming and inspected the blend doors and actuators and found everything to be good. I specifically remember asking about replacement costs if there was a problem and was told that Dodge would cover this completely as it was a known issue. Dodge called it a "Campaign" but it was technically a recall. If your "stealership" doesn't want to help I would suggest trying another dealer or fixing it yourself. I would probably just fix it myself since its only about a 30 min job.

You definitely want to get the HVAC reprogrammed (may have already been done if the dealership repaired it before) or you may likely have this issue again even if you replace the actuator(s) yourself. Its a pretty simple job if you want to save some $$$. Good Luck!

The actuators are about $25-30 each.
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/se...009&make=Dodge

Youtube repair video
No Center Console -
Center Console -
Old 03-07-2014, 12:03 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram
Color: White
H3mi is on a distinguished road

Thanks. I tore it out today and opened it up. There was a screw missing so it has been removed before. I greased the gears and tested that the motor was good, as well as the blending door moved freely. Threw it back together and so far so good. The gears all looked good but I determined that the noise was definitely from the gears skipping teeth. Cheap part for sure. Made in korea.
Old 07-11-2014, 03:11 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Blue
cak0130 is on a distinguished road

Your dealer should still cover it under the recall. My truck was serviced once for this prior to me purchasing it. A few weeks ago the clicking noise started again and I just brought it to the shop to have it fixed. They said they would have to diagnose it first to make sure it was related to the actuator, and since it was, they fixed it free of charge.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:44 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 Laramie 4x4 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Red
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:15
JSBake7 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3mi View Post
2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport

I have searched high and low and haven't been able to find any similar problems as I am having.

I see many 4th Gen Ram owners replacing the blend door actuator behind the center panel (radio area) but the actuator making the horrible clicking noise on my truck is directly behind the glove box.

A couple of questions.....

1.) My heater blower motor will be stuck on low sometimes. No matter how much you crank it up, it barely blows air. Is this a symptom of the clicking actuator as well or do I have other problems? The symptoms both came up at the same time.

2.) When the blower motor is working, no heat at all is coming from the drivers side vents. The passenger side warms up fine. Could this bad actuator cause such a thing?

3.) My Dodge Stealer states that this has been repaired once under recall and can no longer be covered. Does this seem legit?

4.) If I replace this actuator myself, do I still need the dealer to flash the computer???

Finally, if anyone knows what this actuator actually does, or has a diagram of the HVAC system, I would appreciate taking a look at it.

Thanks.

I HAVE HAD THE EXACT SAME ISSUE. I have had multiple actuators replaced by the dealership, and now they are telling me they will not cover it under the warranty. There are 4 actuators, I can get to three of them. Anybody know how to get to the 4th (and hardest to get to)? The video clip for the center-console Laramie only shows the first 2

So now, In calling the folks in detroit and my local dealership (in Fayetteville, NC, which is notoriously bad for service) I have been told it is a $1,000 repair bill, but they will knock down the price (special deal just for me, wink wink wink) to $600. What the hell!!!

I've been driving around for a while with the A/C issue. When I find time, I'm going to have a different dealer take a look at my truck.