DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2010 Dodge Ram Forum
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

2010 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the new 2010 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-12-2014, 04:23 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Red
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:10
brucebigham is on a distinguished road
Default Front end roar/grinding

Hey all, has anyone experienced a low grade roar or grinding feeling in the front end of their 4x4 truck? I feel this usually on low speed turns and is worse turning left vs. turning right. I also have noticed a vibration during braking especially when a slight turn of the steering wheel is involved.

I originally thought that the vibration was warped brake rotors, so I just installed a new set of rotors and brake pads. That got rid of the majority of the brake vibration, but some still exists. This did nothing for the roaring/grinding feeling in the steering wheel on turns.

The truck only has 67,000 miles and tires are even and in good shape. Any suggestions? Could it be a bad hub or CV joint?

Thanks
Old 03-13-2014, 12:51 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2005 QC 4X4 HEMI RAM
Trim Level: Thunder Road
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:427
hydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nice

Jack up the front end and grab each wheel at 12 and 6 o'clock and try to rock. Worn wheel bearing would likely show excess play. Turn wheels hard over in each direction and spin each wheel, a bad CV will click and you will feel it. If you actually have 67,000 miles on your tires, it's probably the tires. Cupping, broken belts, etc.
Inertia Spartan Plus cam, Circle D 3,000 rpm stall converter,Sonnax line pressure booster, MagHytec 68RE pan,and differential cover, Vararam, JBA's with cut outs, Rancho 9000's,3:92's, extra rear leaf.Line-X Bedliner,GY Armortracs, 210,000 miles To Hell and back. 14.2/96 mph NEDW
Old 03-13-2014, 01:07 PM

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lonestar QC
Color: White
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:2929
RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like your right front bearing is having a fit. Try what Hydrex suggested ^^^^^^^^^ and keep us updated.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:25 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

So the tires only have 27,000 miles on them and there were just rotated for the first time, but the issue existed before the tire rotation.

The first thing I checked when I was swapping out the brake rotors was the wheel bearings. There did not appear to be any play or slop in the bearing itself. So I thought it might be a CV joint.

Since this original post, the issue has progressed to the point that I took the truck to the local dealer for them to check it out. So far they have confirmed that it does not appear to be a tie rod or wheel bearing. They are going to check out the CV joint and front differential today to see if there is something there.

I will keep you posted. Thanks
Old 03-14-2014, 11:43 AM

RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the update, Bruce.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:18 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QuadCab TRX4
Trim Level: TRX4
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl w/ Silver Trim
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Hotwire is on a distinguished road

I just picked my 2010 up today, Its got 170,000km.. so about 100,000mi on it. Im getting the same thing. Everything seemed fine on the road test (They took me on a "Set course" so there was no high speed, or quick turns). how ever, there started to be some vibration at highway speed, and then when I got off the highway I made a turn and there was some clicking, popping and grinding from the front end.

Im taking it back to them on monday for some touch ups, and Im going to get them to go over the front end and have what ever it is FIXED. The Veh has only been mine for 12 hours and Iv already got a problem like this?
Old 03-16-2014, 10:40 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

The truck has now been at the dealer for 3 days and they cannot seem to figure out what the problem is. They may have to just start replacing parts until they can find it; good thing I've got an extended warranty.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:43 AM

An extended warranty? I see a new front end in your future...
Old 03-17-2014, 09:28 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

After four days, they still cannot find anything wrong, so they are throwing their hands up and have stated that there is nothing they can do. I guess it will be a wait until it breaks moment!
Old 03-17-2014, 01:03 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:83
Turbovsix will become famous soon enough

I can tell you that I had similar if not exactly the same symptoms when I was running the stock Goodyear Wrangler HP's that came on my truck when new. I was getting that roaring/grinding sensation on turns, and it was definitely (at least in my case) the tires. I had a feathering issue that I don't believe I did anything to cause - alignment was done twice (once comped by the dealer), I rotated religiously, etc. I even had them check and recheck the toe settings and it was all lined up every time I took it in. I finally gave up and threw new tires on roughly at 35K miles because my stock tires were in such bad shape. Problem went away immediately.

I should add that I didn't have this issue when the truck was brand new - it got worse over time. And when I rotated initially, it went away but came back. That's when I sort of figured it might be the tires. I'll bet that's your issue.....are your outer tire edges feathered bad?

Last edited by Turbovsix; 03-17-2014 at 01:06 PM.