DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.9 Liter V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.9 Liter V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-12-2014, 08:08 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1995 dodge ram 2500 5.9l 360ci
Color: blue
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:10
bdemutis is on a distinguished road
Default Ways to get more HP out of1995 2500?

I have a 95 2500 5.9L v8. I was wondering what ways I gain more horse power its a 4 wheel drive truck so the engine feels like it's all torque right know. I know I cant add a tuner because my truck is a year to old I can only get a jet performance chip. I know I can add a throttle body spacer or a cold air intake. I already added a new exhaust from cat back. I was thinking of hitting the junk yards or you pull it yard and looking for a super charger or turbo. But I was thinking maybe I should hit the forums before I go waste my time and money. So should I search for a turbo or super charger or not I would love some input how to gain more horse power out out of my truck. Thanks Brandon.
Sponsored links
Old 03-12-2014, 09:31 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1990 RamCharger
Color: Red
Engine: 1988-1991 318ci (5.2L) LA V8 140hp
Rep:74
Gen1dak will become famous soon enough

You're not going to score a blower in the junkyard and put something together. You can open it up with the usual stuff; intake manifold, cam, throttle body, and you already did the exhaust. The stock intake can be modded (look up kegger mod), or replaced with an M1 or Hughes Air Gap. The throttle body can be modded to improve flow, or replaced with a larger one. You can get away with a nice cam upgrade using the stock computer...CompCams is where I go. Throttle body spacer WILL NOT help you. Cold air intake always helps a little. Don't diss the torque. It's your friend, especially with that 4WD luggage.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen1dak View Post
You're not going to score a blower in the junkyard and put something together. You can open it up with the usual stuff; intake manifold, cam, throttle body, and you already did the exhaust. The stock intake can be modded (look up kegger mod), or replaced with an M1 or Hughes Air Gap. The throttle body can be modded to improve flow, or replaced with a larger one. You can get away with a nice cam upgrade using the stock computer...CompCams is where I go. Throttle body spacer WILL NOT help you. Cold air intake always helps a little. Don't diss the torque. It's your friend, especially with that 4WD luggage.
Where I live I'm sure I can score a stock turbo in a yard especially a vw turbo or I can get one from a friend I have a few friends who went to mechanic school and they have like 20 extra turbos sitting around but there all from rice rockets lol. I love my 4x4 I love the toque I just want more power hell even if I get more torque I'd be happy. Thanks for the info Ill look into it also where should I look for the air gaps and stuff.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:07 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Weiand Action +Plus; Intake Manifold what about that intake I get 20% off from where I work. Also throttle body spacers why does every one rant and rave over them then. I might go to the junk yard get another intake and mod it incase I break something.

Last edited by bdemutis; 03-13-2014 at 12:12 AM.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:19 AM

Last time I checked, Weiand did not make manifolds for the Magnum series smallblock. Those are for the LA (pre-Magnum). Throttle body spacers make a little whistle and everyone somehow equates that with increased power. Spacers work on low profile wet intakes, meaning the mid-70's/early 80's carbureted intakes, most likely to be found in GM and Ford products. Even on carb'd Mopars, they do affect power. Usually, they move the peak power up about 500rpm's, depending on the thickness and configuration (single opening vs 4-hole....but NEVER with spiral grooves). Low profile intakes like those on 70's, early 80's smoggers are prone to fuel drop-out due to the tight turns in the flattened intake. The spacer has the effect of increasing the common plenum volume and smoothing out the most critical turn in the intake, which is directly beneath the carb. The Magnum is a dry intake (no fuel mixture, just air). The whole common plenum/fuel dropout problem just doesn't exist. They show the spacer using water as a model. Look how much better the water flows. Water and air are vastly different. While water works better with physical guidance, it is different for air and those spirals just get in the way. The whistle you hear is proof, but the marketers are clever and have convinced people that it is a good thing. The reality is, that whistle is a result of vacuum forming as air is running over those spirals. What is needed is smooth airflow, not howling hi-frequency vacuum pockets.
A VW turbo? Better use two of them.

http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/p...p?partid=24773
http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/newmagsinpla3.html
You can find the M1 at many places, just make sure you look for the M1 for SMPI for your truck. The Hughes/Air Gap is available only from Hughes.

Last edited by Gen1dak; 03-13-2014 at 02:41 AM.
Old 03-13-2014, 01:28 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen1dak View Post
Last time I checked, Weiand did not make manifolds for the Magnum series smallblock. Those are for the LA (pre-Magnum). Throttle body spacers make a little whistle and everyone somehow equates that with increased power. Spacers work on low profile wet intakes, meaning the mid-70's/early 80's carbureted intakes, most likely to be found in GM and Ford products. Even on carb'd Mopars, they do affect power. Usually, they move the peak power up about 500rpm's, depending on the thickness and configuration (single opening vs 4-hole....but NEVER with spiral grooves). Low profile intakes like those on 70's, early 80's smoggers are prone to fuel drop-out due to the tight turns in the flattened intake. The spacer has the effect of increasing the common plenum volume and smoothing out the most critical turn in the intake, which is directly beneath the carb. The Magnum is a dry intake (no fuel mixture, just air). The whole common plenum/fuel dropout problem just doesn't exist. They show the spacer using water as a model. Look how much better the water flows. Water and air are vastly different. While water works better with physical guidance, it is different for air and those spirals just get in the way. The whistle you hear is proof, but the marketers are clever and have convinced people that it is a good thing. The reality is, that whistle is a result of vacuum forming as air is running over those spirals. What is needed is smooth airflow, not howling hi-frequency vacuum pockets.
A VW turbo? Better use two of them.

http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/p...p?partid=24773
http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/newmagsinpla3.html
You can find the M1 at many places, just make sure you look for the M1 for SMPI for your truck. The Hughes/Air Gap is available only from Hughes.
I'm looking to stay under 10psi I don't want to replace the pistons, clips or cam shafts. That's why I would go with a little toy turbo first. I mean I know they don't make kits for the engine but I was thinking of using maybe some dirt bike radiators for the turbo I know it sounds bad but I seen friends do it. It's just an idea I might just go with a cam shaft a cold air intake and do a keg mod.

Last edited by bdemutis; 03-13-2014 at 01:32 PM.
Old 03-13-2014, 01:43 PM

Vehicle: 2005 QC 4X4 HEMI RAM
Trim Level: Thunder Road
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:418
hydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nice

You will have to tune for a blower of any kind. I'd check what ProCharger uses to tune the 360's. I've seen some killer 408 strokers running ProChargers. In a heavy 2500 Ram the cooling system may need to be improved to get rid of the extra heat.
Inertia Spartan Plus cam, Circle D 3,000 rpm stall converter,Sonnax line pressure booster, Vararam, JBA's with cut outs, Borla duals, Rancho 9000's,3:92's, extra rear leaf. 200,000 miles To Hell and back. 14.2/96 mph NEDW
Old 03-13-2014, 01:52 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrex View Post
You will have to tune for a blower of any kind. I'd check what ProCharger uses to tune the 360's. I've seen some killer 408 strokers running ProChargers. In a heavy 2500 Ram the cooling system may need to be improved to get rid of the extra heat.
Ok thanks like I said it was just an idea. I was wondering is there any tuner I can get for my truck chip or tuner or is 95 a year to late to get a tuner or chip besides a jet performance which I heard isn't worth it.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:19 PM

No tuners for OBDI. Mopar Performance did offer an aftermarket computer with hotter timing and fatter fuel curves to work with other mods. Might still be able to find one if you look around a bit.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:09 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Well I have another question what's the difference between a k&n air filter and a ebay no namer I just was going to get the tube and set up chuck the filter and put a real k&n air filter.