DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Electrical

Notices

Electrical 2nd Gen Dodge Ram Electrical Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-13-2014, 12:07 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White/Grey
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:10
vdubs63 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Alternator Not Charging

I have a 2001 Ram 1500 and my alternator is not charging my battery. I had a bad alternator so I replaced it with a new one from Auto Zone. I thought everything was fine but about 5 minutes after driving it the battery charge level dropped to zero and the Check Gauge light came on. I thought maybe it was a loose wire or something that caused it to do that but a little while later my dash cluster just dropped to zero on my way home. I got home and pulled out the voltage meter and the battery wasnt even charging. I pulled the positive lead and it just killed the motor. My alternator fuse is in good shape and I have looked at all my grounds and they are all in good shape, not rusted or corroded at all. I'm kind of confused at why this is happening. I have seen on some other posts where people said their blower motors wouldnt work or would only blow on high, and I do not have that problem. Why isn't it charging?

Last edited by vdubs63; 03-13-2014 at 12:11 AM.
Sponsored links
Old 03-13-2014, 01:55 PM
God Bless Texas!

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lonestar QC
Color: White
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:2929
RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

Did you check the cable from the alternator to the battery? If the alternator is producing a charge, then you should be reading 14+ volts at the battery when the truck is running. If not, then you have a bad alternator or a bad cable. How old is your battery? A bad battery could cause your alternator to malfunction.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:45 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Today I went and exchanged my alternator for another one and I also bought a new battery because my old one was shot. My battery reads 12.40 just sitting there and it reads 11.90 while running. I went to take it around the block right after I put in the new stuff and the Check Gauge light came back on and the Charge Gauge went to the red line. I checked my cables and fuses and they are all ok. I'm have run out of ideas of what could potentially be wrong.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:09 PM
God Bless Texas!

RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

If it's reading 11.90 while running, you either don't have the alternator hooked up correctly, a bad wire or the wrong alternator. While running, you should be over 14. Check the voltage coming out of the alternator.
Old 03-15-2014, 11:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1997 Dodge Ram
Color: Black
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:190
Lazarus Truck has a spectacular aura aboutLazarus Truck has a spectacular aura about

X2! With Roger. 12v DC is fickle. Terminals MUST be clean. It takes very little to stop 12 volts. As Roger said, check the voltage coming OUT of the alternator. Check it first to a CLEAN engine ground, then an chassis ground, then to the battery negative. Check it at the battery cable end, and check it at the battery post. Should be the same.
Old 03-21-2014, 12:03 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Ok, sorry I took so long to respond I've been busy with work. So I figured out what is wrong at least. The voltage regulator in the PCM went bad, therefore it is not properly regulating voltage for the alternator, and that is why they tested good at the parts store but ran at a lower voltage in my truck. I found that a new PCM is $230 plus shipping plus I have to get it flashed at the dealer. I might go try and find a used one at the dodge dismantler. However in the meantime I had seen in another forum about the external voltage regulator mod and it seemed very do-able so I bought the parts (about $65) and wired it all up and it worked just fine for the first week and now my battery pings that its overcharging and my check guages light comes on.... It's like it's never ending.

Heres the link for the mod:
(original article)
http://articles.mopar1973man.com/gen...-regulator-mod
Old 03-24-2014, 01:01 AM
God Bless Texas!

Normally I would say Voonderbar! But, since it only seemed to add another issue, I'll just say thanks for the update.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:09 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1997 Dodge Ram
Color: Black
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:190
Lazarus Truck has a spectacular aura aboutLazarus Truck has a spectacular aura about

Try Auto Module Source. https://www.automodulesource.com/ My module failed, and got mine for about $180. It was pre-loaded with all up-dates. I have had no issues with it for 9 months.