DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video All custom mods on the interior of your Dodge Ram. Dodge Ram stereo mods, alarms, electronics, shift knobs, upholstery, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-23-2014, 09:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Blue Streak/Black
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:49
BeeThree is on a distinguished road
Default Phone dock install with hidden power cable

Today I added a phone dock to my 2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman Crew Cab. Here's my mod log.

My goals was to do a fixed mount of the dock and hide the cable behind the center dash. I'm really happy with how it turned out.

The dock I chose was the iProDock 5 from iBolt.co for my iPhone 5S. iBolt sells models for various phone. The dock uses a ball mount which allows you to adjust the phone to any angle and position you want.

To prepare the dock for a fixed installation, I cut off the arm and then used 5 minute two part epoxy to glue in a wood working threaded insert (see photo 2 & 3). Before gluing it in, I capped the back of it with tape to keep the glue from getting into the threads. The front of the insert was stuck to a flat piece of box tape and then the glue allowed to settle down around the insert as it set and cured. To keep the hole from the cord hidden, I drilled out a slot in the back of the arm. Sorry about the bad description, hopefully the photos will help.

To remove the center dash there's 2 screws at the top, 1 above the AC outlet and 2 in the tray at the bottom as seen in the photos. Before the dash can be removed you need to remove the top of the floor console. The surround around the cup holder can be carefully pried up. The 5 screws will release it and as you life it up, you can unplug the power outlet. Open the back compartment and then pry up the top to remove it. Once it's off, the front dash can be pulled away. Just pull slowly and both sides evenly. Once the clips release, you can lift it up a bit and lean it forward.

Here's the step by step photos.

Sponsored links
Old 03-24-2014, 12:55 PM
God Bless Texas!

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lonestar QC
Color: White
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:2929
RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

Most excellent! Very nice show and tell. Reps for the great job.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:30 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: white
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:199
Ryank has a spectacular aura aboutRyank has a spectacular aura about

Looking good, Now if you really wanted to make it stealth, you could wire a cigarette lighter under the dash so you would not see the wire at all!
Old 03-24-2014, 04:48 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Blue Streak/Black
Rep:49
BeeThree is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys.

Ryank, I did have that as part of the plan but wanted to see behind the console first. There's no "extra" power feeds so I'd have to splice in one. I'm also not very knowledgable about splicing and power draw and such, so I'm unsure if I can just split the existing connection into two without causing problems or not. Someday I hope to learn enough to pull it off though.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:15 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SL/SLT
Color: Blue
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:10
Normaso is on a distinguished road

Good Job sir! I have an 08 and your ingenuity has led me to try a stealth approach to installing my phone dock. Thanks for the inspiration!
Old 05-22-2014, 08:53 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 4X4 / 3.55 LSD
Trim Level: Outdoorsman Crew Cab
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl Coat
Rep:1043
gcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeThree View Post
Thanks guys.

Ryank, I did have that as part of the plan but wanted to see behind the console first. There's no "extra" power feeds so I'd have to splice in one. I'm also not very knowledgable about splicing and power draw and such, so I'm unsure if I can just split the existing connection into two without causing problems or not. Someday I hope to learn enough to pull it off though.
Get some Posi-Tap connectors. All you do is put the wire in one end and screw the end on and it will self tap the existing wire. Then you add your new wire in the other end and you are done. No wire cutting and you can remove them if you want and there is no damage to the original wire. They are reusable.

Posi-lock Connectors, 14-16 Gauge (blue), are for when you cut the wire and need to splice wires together.

I use them all the time and they come in different sizes. The ones I use most are the blue ones for 16-18 gauge wire.

Make sure you get the Posi-Tap connectors. You can find them cheaper this is just for information. http://www.amazon.com/Posi-tap-Conne...-tap+connector

Greg

Old 05-24-2014, 12:45 AM
Conventional Eccentric

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram Crew Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat
Rep:220
highlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura about

Very nice install!

I'm curious how you secured the post to the dash; I really like the deletion of the suction cup mount.

Disclaimer: I'm getting old and my opinions will reflect that fact!
Old 07-19-2014, 01:30 AM
Bully's Performance

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram CC 4X4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: PX8 Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1787
fastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant future

Reps for this for sure..... Great idea
100% Guaranteed to work or we will replace it for free!