DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LOWERING or STANDARD

Notices

Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LOWERING or STANDARD Discuss anything related to Custom Dodge Ram Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Mods, Chassis Mods and Tuning, Towing options, Driveline, Differentials, Sway Bars, Lowering Springs, Strut Braces, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-09-2014, 01:14 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 dodge ram rt
Trim Level: rt
Color: brilliant black pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1061
dodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud of

should get the kits from bullys and the ass end in the crew cab will look lower its got more weight lol
and i did not have the wobble till over 110 thats fixed now
Sponsored links
Old 04-09-2014, 09:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram R/T BSP
Trim Level: R/T
Color: Blue
Rep:10
Carcrazyguy is on a distinguished road

I went by the shop that works on mainly late model Mopars today. I didn't get a very good read off them. I did however find out that they were not to interested in doing the kit unless it was a Belltech, "because everyone uses Belltech and adds the bar".
Old 04-10-2014, 12:58 PM

Vehicle: 2010 HEMI Sport Crew Cab
Trim Level: SPORT
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:62
rarichard will become famous soon enough

my truck came in right at the 2/3 numbers after dropping it.

It makes me shake my head that some businesses these days would rather turn someone away than make them feel good about what they want done to their truck. Imagine if they were like, "cool dude" no problem, but we never installed a groundforce kit yet, so if you feel comfortable with that kit, we'll take care of it for you." they quickly would have realized that it's just like any other normal spring and strut swap and isn't rocket science.
Old 04-10-2014, 01:00 PM

Vehicle: 2010 HEMI Sport Crew Cab
Trim Level: SPORT
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:62
rarichard will become famous soon enough

I keep hearing about how our economy is the worst it's ever been in a long time. I wonder why I continuously get service all over the place that sucks so much.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:52 PM

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: White
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:26
Lincoln5.7 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by firewall68 View Post
Iīm also interested in this topic. wanna spend my truck (2006, laramie, 1500, 5,7, 4x4) the Ground force Kit 9980. for me it is hard to find out what kind of shocks i have to use.
My problem is that i have to order everything from america (sitting in austria) so i want to make shure to have everything right before i make the order. so any recommendations are welcome.

what i planned is:
Ground force Kit 9980 2" front 4" rear
+ Rancho shocks (5000 - 9000)

i have to replace the left front shock because the oil is running out. my thought was, why spending 2 new shocks for the front axle when i can order a lowering kit.

i think it is not an good idea to run the ground force kit with the original shocks - right?

THX for Help
Mike

your not going to want to run the stock shocks on a 4 in drop in the rear. you could maybe get away with a 2 in on stock shocks but not 4. I just did a 2 in shackle and removed overloads and got a true 2 in drop (the shackles give you about 1.25 in) and was bottoming out and rear end wasn't stable so I put on the Belltech Street Performance Shocks (2212FF) and theyre great. got an awesome deal from bullys performace. these shocks will work on our trucks from a 2 inch to a 5 inch drop.

hope this helps
Bullydog GT Programmer Tuner, Flowmaster 40 series, 2 Polk MM1040's, 85mm Throttle body, Volant Powercore CAI, McGaughy 2in drop shackles, 22x10 srt10 rims, CCFL Halos, Belltech Street Performance Shocks.
Soon to come: 4.56's and Pacesetter LT with Y-pipe, Cat delete.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:22 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Well the "Mopar speciality" shop in North Richland Hills has yet to call me back with a price. Guess they are not interested in working on Rams. So it will not be lowered in time for the Mopar show this weekend.
Old 04-20-2014, 04:31 AM

Vehicle: 2012 ram 1500 R/T
Trim Level: R/t
Color: Wht
Rep:145
Buellrider will become famous soon enoughBuellrider will become famous soon enough

I've got the mcgaughy 2/4 kit and belltech SP shocks on my 12 R/T and couldn't be happier with the ride, handling and braking.

2012 R/T
Old 04-20-2014, 08:22 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Ram Crew Cab
Color: Inferno Red
Rep:13
MF2000 is on a distinguished road

(Not mine)Copied from another site, but very good information:

I read several Ram sites and I keep reading about the rear end "wagging" after a drop and ways to fix it that are just wasting people's time and money. I'm gonna try to straighten out some of the reasons, dispel some myths and hopefully help some people out.
The main thing I read is that it's only lowered trucks doing it.
WRONG. ALL panhard bar equipped vehicles do it. It's simple physics...there's no way out of it. When you tie a lateral bar to the frame and axle, as the suspension cycles up and down it causes the bar to swing in an arc which in turn causes the body to move side to side. Again, there's no way put of this...it happens on every single panhard equipped vehicle on the planet. A tire with a lot of sidewall will absorb some of the motion you feel but it's still there.

Off track but look at how the rear wheels on a lowered 4th Gen are moved to the front...that's because they're on link bars that also swing in an arc...

Okay...back on track...

This is a 2009^ Ram 1500...a damned clean one at that.

That is the stock geometry...notice the bar is parallel to the axle. This starts the suspension in a neutral position which is what you want. You'll feel less of the horizontal movement when driving with the bar like this.

Now if you drop the truck and wind up with this like the old Bell Tech kits...you start having issues.

With the bar unlevel as the truck moves vertically the arc the bar swings in has to come down to the point of level THEN down past level which exaggerates this "wagging" feeling. Factor in the shorter, stiffer tires most of us run with a drop and you really feel it then. Even an adjustable panhard isn't going to fix the issue in this case...the bar being out of level is a main part of the issue. Another part of the issue without the adjustable bar is the fact that the stock bar isn't the exact right length to begin with. I've never looked at a 4th Gen Ram at stock height where the wheels were exactly centered side to side. Factor in manufacturing differences and the amount will vary from truck to truck but it's always there. Depending on how far out your truck is from the factory...lowering it can exacerbate the issue and make the "wagging" really bad. If your rear end is pushed 1/2" or more to one side your truck isn't tracking straight down the highway, combine that with vertical movement causing lateral movement and here comes the "wagging"

OK...back on track. How do we fix it? The answer is, we don't. We simply get it into as good of shape as we can to where we don't notice it as much.
This is done with the drop bracket we're all familiar with.

This is a pic of my own truck with a ~5" rear drop, adjustable bar and drop bracket.

This is what everyone tells us "fixes" the issue, right? Wrong...notice the bar is still not level.
This is my truck now with ~6" drop...NOW the bar is level. This is the only pic I have but you can see what's going on.

It literally takes a 6" rear drop for these off-the-shelf parts to bring the bar into a level position. The standard 4" drop will have the bar at an unacceptable angle...period. Again if you combine a 4" drop with a stock bar, the rear end will be pushed over and exaggerate the "wag".
The adjustable bar will help the issue greatly but it will NOT get rid of it. Why? Because there's no way to 100% get rid of it with a panhard bar.
I see people talking about changing shocks, adding helper airbags, etc. This is just throwing away your money unless those are things you're adding for another reason.

If you have a 4" drop and want a level bar, you can always have a curved bar made. These are perfectly acceptable and you can probably have one fabbed up for less than the cost of an adjustable Spohn bar. There's not many pics of curved bars I could find but they've been used for decades on 4wd front suspensions. They're generally solid bar stock for strength but are super easy to fab up and get the main part of the bar level.

Any suspension shop could make this in a day, it's still adjustable to center your wheels side to side and would be a better option than the straight bar on a 2-5" rear drop.

If you want a true fix...it's called a Watts Link.

Obviously a lot more work and there are no bolt on kits for our trucks but this is the only true fix for a link style suspension. The bellcrank mounted to the diff allows the bars to move equal to each other as the suspension cycles vertically...keeping the axle centered at all points in the suspension travel. I'm not getting into that here...

I know that's long winded but hopefully it explains some of the "why" to the questions I keep seeing. Also to clarify...cab configuration and/or model do NOT matter in the least. The basic layout is exactly the same from an Express crew cab to an R/T and everywhere in between
Old 04-21-2014, 05:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

I got an email from an area DFW Ram owner that told me to check into a truck on Ebay. Although is a crew cab, it is said to have the Ground Force 2/3 kit. After looking at the pics..... not liking the 2-3 look at all!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2-3 crew cab blue.jpg (46.5 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg 2-3 crew cab.jpg (50.3 KB, 45 views)
Old 04-23-2014, 06:15 PM

Vehicle: 2012 RCSB Express
Rep:97
mikennrg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carcrazyguy View Post
I got an email from an area DFW Ram owner that told me to check into a truck on Ebay. Although is a crew cab, it is said to have the Ground Force 2/3 kit. After looking at the pics..... not liking the 2-3 look at all!
That truck doesn't look like it's been lowered at all. The rear looks higher than mine and it's stock.