DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.9 Liter V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.9 Liter V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-07-2014, 05:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1996 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie SLT
Color: Blue
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:10
96rumblebee is on a distinguished road
Default Looking at Head's, Mopar Newb

Ok so let me just put this first, i am a COMPLETE Newb when it comes to Mopar. I have been a Ford guy my whole life but have had my 96 ram for almost 10 years now and i am starting to restore her and build a motor.

Btw I have the 96 Magnum 5.9 in my truck

I have been looking at Aftermarket Heads and notice alot of them say from xx year up to 91... Does this have to do with my model being a Magnum 5.9 and not a LA 5.9?

Lol, someone learn me on this situation.

Also, are these motor's just really pricey paperweights or something? Almost every build ive seen, doing full heads/cam/intake/exhaust and tuning and people still are not seeing over 400rwhp?!?!
Sponsored links
Old 05-10-2014, 05:32 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1990 RamCharger
Color: Red
Engine: 1988-1991 318ci (5.2L) LA V8 140hp
Rep:85
Gen1dak will become famous soon enough

The Magnum heads started with the 1992 5.2 Magnum. The 5.9 Magnum followed in 1993. They use the same head, and all work on all 5.2/5.9 Magnums through the end of production. Do not confuse these with 340 "Magnum" heads, as they are LA-era (the best of the LA's. The 340 "X" head is within 5hp of stock 90's Magnum heads at 6,000rpm....not bad for a late 60's design).

The 400hp builds you are seeing are typically built around stock Magnum heads and streetable cams.....also naturally aspirated. The deal is torque, not HP. That 400hp number also brings torque numbers over 350 ft/lbs from 3,000 rpm to over 5,500 rpm, with a peak around 420. A similarly sized 3rd gen Hemi easily knocks out more HP at high rpm's. It also has a significantly larger cam than the Magnums had, so that helps too. Still, the heads are the limiter. Massaged stockers, or aftermarket heads open up that bottleneck quite a bit. Granted, there are builds that'll go well over 500hp, either using better heads with street-marginal cams, or mild forced-induction. Still, we are talking about engines set up for trucks, not high rpm screamers, so cast pistons are the rule. If you want to really crank up one of these, go with forged internals (pistons for more than 9psi boost), your choice of aftermarket heads, cam, and intake. You can definitely crank out the numbers. How much money ya got?

Last edited by Gen1dak; 05-10-2014 at 05:43 PM.
Old 05-11-2014, 04:01 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Ive built a number of engines, all of which being Ford's pushrod&modular. So this would be my first Mopar build. I will be doing all of the work MINUS the machine work done to the block.

With that being said, i'm looking at a budget of around $2,500 for parts. Not including tuning

I have been kind of kicking around the idea of some good used EQ 2.02 heads with some light port work and intake/exhaust openings match ported to the manifold and longtubes, 1.6 adj Chevy rockers, KRC 210 cam, mild compression pistons and LA style headgaskets to get me around 10.5:1, Hughes F1 intake, factory bored/shaved 52mm throttle body, pacesetter longtubes, ford 30lb injectors, 2,800 stall

Sometimes i wonder if our intake's are the death of our HP numbers?? I mean really, what would a Engine build like that net with say a single 90mm t/b? Sure you can have the argument about "well its TWO 52mm blades so blah blah blah" But idk i just feel it would be more restrictive then one massive butterfly.
Old 05-11-2014, 04:30 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

I just want to build a motor that will net me 400rwhp/400rwtq on my 96 2wd 1500 automatic truck.

And with me being so new into the Mopar scene, idk how the hell that can be accomplished without going majorly overboard on budget. Any idea's would be greatly appriciated.
Old 05-11-2014, 05:48 PM

The KRC 210 won't be enough. Maybe with 1.7:1 rockers. Naturally you will need custom tuning. I'd think the heads will need SERIOUS work. I mean, even down to pushrod tubes to allow more porting...$$$. I mean, looking at those numbers for RWH, I start thinking about W2 or W5 Mopar heads and all the changes that go with that as far as flow numbers......and there goes the budget. At those numbers, you're almost looking at it being easier to do a build for strength in the engine and slapping a blower on it. You're looking at cranking the engine well into the 6 grand range. Really, a solid lifter roller would be an asset. A ported M1 intake would be a good fit at that level. Naturally, with stroker kits around 2 grand now, that's a goodplace to start. At least you have more cubes to work with. $2500 total budget? I'm not seeing it. Hate to say it, but the 3rd gen Hemi is a lot easier to get to that level.
Old 05-11-2014, 06:38 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Yeah that's what i'm afraid of :/ which is why i keep going back and forth on it. I cant make up my mind since this is just going to be a weekend fun truck and not a die hard racer or anything even close to that.....I just don't see the point in dropping close to $4k into a motor just to barely touch 400rwhp, and then having to turn around and dropping thousands more into the trans so it wont fall apart...... Hell i've done that with simple cam swap and stock 243 head swap on a LS1 and squeezed out 420rwhp on a smaller cube motor. (Insert, i am in no way comparing a LS based motor to a Mopar magnum, just simply stating for example purposes only)

Which makes me keep going back to the idea of just doing a stock rebuild, with higher compression pistons and a really beefy/lumpy cam. Wont get much performance out of it but it would be reliable, sound great, and not hurt my pocket book. There's that saying "Go big or go home" But im starting to find in the Mopar world it really should be "Go really exspensive or go home" Lol
Old 05-12-2014, 07:53 AM

Yeah, that's what happens when you don't have a V8 car in the showroom. Only the V10 got anything even remotely exotic with the Viper application. Had they offered some sort of car in the 90's, maybe the Magnum V8's would have been developed further, but again, with the Hemi looming, why spend that money on something that was just gonna be there til the new stuff hit? Oh well.