DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Rust Repair
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Rust Repair Fighting Mother Nature!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-01-2015, 04:20 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport Crew Cab
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:18
rjmlakota is on a distinguished road
Default Rust on Door Hindges

I'm starting to see rust on the driver and passenger side door hinges. Most of its surface rust but when I rub it some of it stays on. I showed my dealership and they have ordered new hinges and said they will paint them and install them.

My concern is when they take the doors off and install the new hinges that the doors are not going to go on like they came off. I'm concerned of gaps or doors not lining up perfectly.

Does anyone have first hand knowledge of this?

Thanks in advance,

RJ
Sponsored links
Old 02-01-2015, 04:27 PM
The Sound of Eight Hooves

Vehicle: 2013 Ram1500 4x4 8HP70 3.21LSD
Trim Level: Lone Star Quad Cab
Color: Bright White
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:545
Thunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of light

I don't think the manufacturing variances will be enough to make anything noticeable. It isn't like they match specific doors to certain hinges at the factory, or custom fit them or anything.

Thunderhorse-Built: 25 Feb 2013 Warren, Michigan; Bought: 28 May 2013
Huskyliner Weatherbeaters, door edge guards, Line-X bedliner, Kryptek Typhon Cordura seat covers w/ MOLLE panels (review), Console Vault (install/review), Bilstein 4600s (thread), BFG T/A KO2 LT275/60/20s (thread), Borla XR-1 (thread), Matte black Plasti-dipped center console bezel, BT catch can.
Old 02-02-2015, 12:28 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:87
Rambunkshuss will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmlakota View Post
I'm starting to see rust on the driver and passenger side door hinges. Most of its surface rust but when I rub it some of it stays on. I showed my dealership and they have ordered new hinges and said they will paint them and install them.

My concern is when they take the doors off and install the new hinges that the doors are not going to go on like they came off. I'm concerned of gaps or doors not lining up perfectly.

Does anyone have first hand knowledge of this?

Thanks in advance,

RJ
Kind of confusing... "first hand knowledge" of what...

Seems like you`re more concerned about the workmanship of the dealer doing the job than you are about the rusty hindge`s. Personally, i wouldnt worry about the door hindges... they`re going to outlast the truck anyway. Clean them off, spray them with grease, that will preserve them longer. To replace them now, is not going to stop the same thing thats going to happen to the new ones that you`ll replace.

As for taking the doors off, 1) i would be more concerned that they would set the doors on the floor while doing the hinges and chipping the shit out of the edges of the doors, knocking paint off from them. 2) Proper re-alignment of the doors and latch`s would concern me. That alone, will bring more future damage to your truck than those "flash rusted" door hinges ever will.

Dunno... this is just my own personal opinion
Old 02-02-2015, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhorse View Post
I don't think the manufacturing variances will be enough to make anything noticeable. It isn't like they match specific doors to certain hinges at the factory, or custom fit them or anything.
T-pony, i think the OP has ghosting concerns that the monkeys at his dealership will likely not do a correct professional job. Its not like we haven`t heard about TON`S of dealership nightmares in the past where they turn a simple job into a pile of shit after they`ve touched something. I would surely be concerned too, if that were the case. At least thats what i personally read, into his question(s).
Old 02-02-2015, 06:44 AM

Thunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of light

Ah, yeah I would just spray mine with lithium grease (which I do anyway) and not worry about it. Every vehicle eventually gets some rust on the hinges.

Huskyliner Weatherbeaters, door edge guards, Line-X bedliner, Kryptek Typhon Cordura seat covers w/ MOLLE panels (review), Console Vault (install/review), Bilstein 4600s (thread), BFG T/A KO2 LT275/60/20s (thread), Borla XR-1 (thread), Matte black Plasti-dipped center console bezel, BT catch can.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:27 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn (4x4 CC)
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
jbr is on a distinguished road

I sprayed mine with fluid film, rust stopped.
Old 02-02-2015, 04:29 PM

#5 & #6 i agree 100%...!!!!!!
In my own opinion, i think the OP is just asking for trouble messing with his door hinges.
Spray them regularly.... and forget about it.... they`ll outlast the truck 10 to 1 odds.

I use "fluid film" alot...!!! I`ve never had ANY product work as good as that stuff...PERIOD
I sprayed the whole under side of my truck with fluid film, even inside the frame where i could get at it.

http://www.fluid-film.com

Last edited by Rambunkshuss; 02-02-2015 at 04:32 PM.
Old 02-02-2015, 04:41 PM

I don't really have to deal with rust like you northerners do, but I use fluid film on areas of the underside that lose their protection from scrapes, etc... like the scuffs on my skid plates, and inside my hitch receiver where mounts have rubbed off some paint. Its good stuff, simple to apply, and doesn't come off easily.

Old 02-02-2015, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhorse View Post
I don't really have to deal with rust like you northerners do, but I use fluid film on areas of the underside that lose their protection from scrapes, etc... like the scuffs on my skid plates, and inside my hitch receiver where mounts have rubbed off some paint. Its good stuff, simple to apply, and doesn't come off easily.
HAAAAAA, biggest mistake i ever made 30yrs ago was moving up to the north to the rust belt.
I use to live in snow camp nc & liberty nc, not far from greensboro... i miss nc terribly.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:01 PM

It ain't bad out here. It ain't Texas, but that's probably not a fair metric to gauge other places by.