DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4

Notices

Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4 Discuss anything related to Custom Dodge Ram Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Mods, Chassis Mods and Tuning, Towing options, Driveline, 4x4, Differentials, Sway Bars, Lifting Springs, Body Lifts, Strut Braces, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-02-2014, 11:16 PM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Limited
Color: Mineral Grey Metallic
Rep:2026
brandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted View Post
The point of my chart was to use as a simple reference point. Stock tire + gear ratio = rpm for reference. Take that and now look at the tire size you want to go to and find the gear ratio that will get you close to stock rpm's. This works regardless of what your final ratio is. Of course, your chart works too if you know all the ratio's to fill in the blanks with. You will find both ways will give you the same answer.

Bottom line is 3.55 gears with 37's and the truck will be a slug unless you are going downhill....
It would be correct for 4th gear which is a 1:1 ratio. But that's it really.... With ratios it makes a bigger difference as your gear ratio gets further away from 1. So well he might be off by 200 rpm in 4th gear he may be off by 300 rpm in 6th for example. So for a very basic comparison, yes a chest like that works. I'm just more OCD and anal than that... I prefer to see more information and have everything 100% correct. Just a personal preference I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by draken View Post
how much does it cost to change gears?
In a 2012 and up you're looking at around $3500 to go to 4.56's. You need a front diff from a 2011, then both diffs need to be machined, then you'll need the ring and pinion, install kits, and labour.

2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited Cummins Build Thread
8" BDS Long Arm Lift with Fox 2.0 Shocks | Dual Fox 2.0 Steering Stabilizer | 37x13.5 Toyo MT's | AMP Powersteps & Bedstep | Bakflip G2 | Mag-Hytec Rear Diff Cover | 5000K Morimoto HID's (lows and fogs) | 30" curved LED Light Bar
H&S MiniMaxx Custom Tuned | 4" Flo Pro Stainless TBE | Sinister EGR Delete | ARP 425 Head Studs | 4.56 AAM/Yukon Gears | S&B Intake | Instagram: @brandonjansen
Guide to Leveling & Wheel and Tire Sizing for 06+ 4wd Ram 1500's
Sponsored links
Old 04-03-2014, 12:11 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Black/Mineral Gray
Rep:219
Boosted has a spectacular aura aboutBoosted has a spectacular aura aboutBoosted has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjansen View Post
It would be correct for 4th gear which is a 1:1 ratio. But that's it really.... With ratios it makes a bigger difference as your gear ratio gets further away from 1. So well he might be off by 200 rpm in 4th gear he may be off by 300 rpm in 6th for example. So for a very basic comparison, yes a chest like that works. I'm just more OCD and anal than that... I prefer to see more information and have everything 100% correct. Just a personal preference I guess.

In a 2012 and up you're looking at around $3500 to go to 4.56's. You need a front diff from a 2011, then both diffs need to be machined, then you'll need the ring and pinion, install kits, and labour.
Still missing my point....

Actually the chart works perfectly to answer the simple question of "how big of a tire can i go with based on what gears I have", which if I am not mistaken the OP is basically asking.

Regardless of final drive ratio, overdrive, or whether you have a six speed or eight speed, the simple answer is to stay within 200 rpm's to what your vehicle came with from the factory. Anything beyond that and you will feel a drastic drop in power and fuel economy. The use of this chart is not a direct reflection of your actual RPM's, just merely a guide to show the difference you will experience with changes to gear ratio or tire size.

This is why most of us can get away with running a 35" tall tire without really feeling the loss whereas with a 37" tall tire, the loss is substantial.

Anyways, I'll get off my soapbox now. Bottom line to the OP, with 3.55 gears, I don't think you will be happy with 37's.

Last edited by Boosted; 04-03-2014 at 12:13 AM.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:00 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Color: Black on black on black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
icallshotgun88 is on a distinguished road

yeah, it sounds to me that its just not worth it to run 37"s…

there isn't much benefit to 37" tires other than it looks better.

its more expensive, more sluggish unless you change gears, even worse MPG and they may even be a tiny bit louder…

i REALLY wanted 37"s but i think my testosterone got the best of me…

I'm just gonna run 35"s and 20x10 wheels under a 6" lift..

HERES MY LAST QUESTION…

I'm going to get a 6" with Bilsteins…
if i set the Bilsteins at +2", will that extra lift make the 35"s look small?

cuz that like 8" lift on 35"s..
and i hate when tires look to small under a big lift..
Old 04-03-2014, 01:14 AM

Boosted has a spectacular aura aboutBoosted has a spectacular aura aboutBoosted has a spectacular aura about

I think yes, that would make the tires look small but that's just my opinion. Really it all boils down to what "look" you like.

Here's a suggestion that you could consider. If you want a little more tire (sidewall) but don't want to lose too much by going with a 37, look at a 325x60R20. Depending on brand, this tire will average about 35.5" tall whereas the typical 35x12.50(or 13.50)R20 will measure out to an average of 34.5". This will give you a little more sidewall for the "look" without getting too tall and hurting your power/fuel economy.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:22 AM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Limited
Color: Mineral Grey Metallic
Rep:2026
brandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Still missing my point....

Actually the chart works perfectly to answer the simple question of "how big of a tire can i go with based on what gears I have", which if I am not mistaken the OP is basically asking.

Regardless of final drive ratio, overdrive, or whether you have a six speed or eight speed, the simple answer is to stay within 200 rpm's to what your vehicle came with from the factory. Anything beyond that and you will feel a drastic drop in power and fuel economy. The use of this chart is not a direct reflection of your actual RPM's, just merely a guide to show the difference you will experience with changes to gear ratio or tire size.

This is why most of us can get away with running a 35" tall tire without really feeling the loss whereas with a 37" tall tire, the loss is substantial.

Anyways, I'll get off my soapbox now. Bottom line to the OP, with 3.55 gears, I don't think you will be happy with 37's.
Ya I get what you're saying as far as the basic function of the chart. Makes sense and yes it does basically answer the OP's question. Again it just boils down to the detail you want to go into. Personally I want to see exactly what RPM my truck would be at with each set up. But we'll leave it at that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallshotgun88 View Post
yeah, it sounds to me that its just not worth it to run 37"s…

there isn't much benefit to 37" tires other than it looks better.

its more expensive, more sluggish unless you change gears, even worse MPG and they may even be a tiny bit louder…

i REALLY wanted 37"s but i think my testosterone got the best of me…

I'm just gonna run 35"s and 20x10 wheels under a 6" lift..

HERES MY LAST QUESTION…

I'm going to get a 6" with Bilsteins…
if i set the Bilsteins at +2", will that extra lift make the 35"s look small?

cuz that like 8" lift on 35"s..
and i hate when tires look to small under a big lift..
If you're going with 35's I'd set the Bilsteins at 1.4" to level the lift and call it a day. That way they won't look quite as small. Going with a 325/60/20 like Boosted suggested is also a good idea.

2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited Cummins Build Thread
8" BDS Long Arm Lift with Fox 2.0 Shocks | Dual Fox 2.0 Steering Stabilizer | 37x13.5 Toyo MT's | AMP Powersteps & Bedstep | Bakflip G2 | Mag-Hytec Rear Diff Cover | 5000K Morimoto HID's (lows and fogs) | 30" curved LED Light Bar
H&S MiniMaxx Custom Tuned | 4" Flo Pro Stainless TBE | Sinister EGR Delete | ARP 425 Head Studs | 4.56 AAM/Yukon Gears | S&B Intake | Instagram: @brandonjansen
Guide to Leveling & Wheel and Tire Sizing for 06+ 4wd Ram 1500's
Old 04-03-2014, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjansen View Post
Personally I want to see exactly what RPM my truck would be at with each set up.
Yup, me too.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:50 PM

Vehicle: 2009 dodge ram 1500 ST
Trim Level: ST
Color: Austin Tan Pearl
Rep:10
huntert is on a distinguished road

I'm currently running 35s with just 3" level. I fills up the fender wells pretty nicely. Personally I wouldn't run the 6 inch lift if your gonna stick with 35s. The 4 inch and 35s looks like the best option. Once you go to the 6 inch I think you should run the 37s but then again if you want to do it right it's goin to cost you. Maybe you could try and do the 6 inch with 35s for a while then save up your money during those tires life and refers the truck. So that once those 35s are gone you can opt for a set of 37s and have the gears to back it up. Just my .02.
Westin black step bars, Diablo intune, 35x12.50x18 Nitto Trail Grapplers, 18x9 -12 offset MAYHEM CHAOS wheels. 2.5 inch dual exhaust with a custom made x-pipe before dual dynomax race bullets, topped off with rectangle tips.
Old 04-18-2014, 01:42 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Lonestar
Color: Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:21
Baldielox is on a distinguished road

6" lift + Bilstiens in the front with 35x12.50's

Old 04-20-2014, 09:53 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:15
Ramguy45 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldielox View Post
6" lift + Bilstiens in the front with 35x12.50's

Awesome truck! Mine is about to look very similar as I have a red one too and I have also been debating running 35's or 37's, but I went with 325/65/18's. Can you tell me how much clearance you have from the top of your tire to the bottom middle of your fender? I have been worried I will have to much. I have a chevy with a 6 inch lift and 315's I had 11 1/2 inches of clearance and I thought it looked perfect. What are your bilstein's set at? Everyone seemed to be out so I went with rancho 2.25's instead. I can't wait to see how it looks!
Old 04-20-2014, 10:07 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:15
Ramguy45 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I think yes, that would make the tires look small but that's just my opinion. Really it all boils down to what "look" you like.

Here's a suggestion that you could consider. If you want a little more tire (sidewall) but don't want to lose too much by going with a 37, look at a 325x60R20. Depending on brand, this tire will average about 35.5" tall whereas the typical 35x12.50(or 13.50)R20 will measure out to an average of 34.5". This will give you a little more sidewall for the "look" without getting too tall and hurting your power/fuel economy.

I went with a 325 for this reason, but looking online at charts I keep seeing that a 325 is really only 34.6 and a 35 measures 35. Can anyone verify what is correct because I am confused.