DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video All custom mods on the interior of your Dodge Ram. Dodge Ram stereo mods, alarms, electronics, shift knobs, upholstery, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-03-2014, 10:23 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2011 2500
Trim Level: big horn
Color: grey
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:31
autokraftgt is on a distinguished road
Default 2011 2500 QC build thread

As I am constantly changing up my equipment in my truck, I figured I'd start on on-going thread as to what Iam up to.
First, the truck.
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn Quad Cab

First and foremost, none of this would be possible without the help of my friend Jerry who owns High Def Mobile Audio in Omaha, NE.
Jerry is a dealer of some of the higher end brands in car audio including but not limited to:
Arc Audio
Sinfoni
DYNAUDIO
HAT
Phass
Rainbow
Image Dynamics
TRU

My initial install consisted of a fully active front stage consisting of:
Pioneer 80PRS

DYNAUDIO System 242 (MW 162 midbass, & MD 102 tweeters)
Arc Audio KS 300.4 ..90 watts to each MW 162 & 90 watts to each md 102

Sub stage :
Two Arc Audio Black 12dvc4
Fox Box Vented with custom vent plugs essentially making it a sealed box if I wish
Heavy sound deadener inside enclosure (helps a lot guys!) especially in plastic tubs
two Alpine MRP M-500's ran mono obviously
Each subwoofer wired parallel to a M-500 for 500 watts at a 2ohm load

I was very happy with this system and it would please 90% of folks.
Had great staging, good volume, crystal clear, decent dynamics, and a lot of fun factor with the substage being that it hit pretty darn good
More stuff to come
Sponsored links
Old 04-03-2014, 11:23 AM

All wires and RCAs are IXOS and distribution blacks are IXOS & Stinger

Old 04-03-2014, 11:27 AM

I know the wiring looks like a mess and it is.
I change stuff around so much, that I have not had the time to clean it up much.
Maybe one day I will be "done" with this system and I can focus on presentation, cleanliness, etc...but as of right now it's function over form lol
Old 04-03-2014, 11:33 AM

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500
Trim Level: Laramie QC
Color: Blue Streak Pearlcoat
Rep:25
dleininger is on a distinguished road

Nice truck and nice setup!
Old 04-03-2014, 11:43 AM

6 months after my initial install I had the opportunity to purchase a pair of DYNAUDIO Esotar 650's which is DYNAUDIO's top tier line. The Esotar 650 is 7" mid bass woofer. I was a bit skeptical on the improvements I may hear due to the DYNAUDIO MW 162 being such a capable mid bass woofer, but my skepticism turned to excitement after I heard them. The detail and realism of these speakers is something that you have to experience in person. They do not color the music what so ever. I am still using these 650's today and they continue to sound better and better as they slowly break in
Old 04-03-2014, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleininger View Post
Nice truck and nice setup!
Thank you sir!
Old 04-03-2014, 01:52 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Crew Cab Big Horn
Color: Black
Rep:19
bolo1g2 is on a distinguished road

Wow. So envious of your gear. Seriously, Dynaudio. Dang. Did you sound deaden your cab? For your back wall set up are you just using mdf boards and mounting the amps and other gear to that. How do you secure the boards? Did you screw them into the metal of the cab? Awesome thread. I'm subscribing.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolo1g2 View Post
Wow. So envious of your gear. Seriously, Dynaudio. Dang. Did you sound deaden your cab? For your back wall set up are you just using mdf boards and mounting the amps and other gear to that. How do you secure the boards? Did you screw them into the metal of the cab? Awesome thread. I'm subscribing.
I used butyl sound deadener throughout the truck, but it was installed in stages. Doors were done first, then rear cab/wall (more on that later), roof, floors, and overhead console which buzzed around 40-50hz...drove me nuts!
Lately ive been tracking down resonances that pop up here and there. More on that later as well.
And yup, 1/2" mdf painted black, quick router work, attached with 3m tape which i really like. It holds very well, but not permanent. Ive prob made 4 different racks at this point for this truck. Amp changes, re-organizing of gear etc. 3m tape also helped eliminate buzzing between rack and back wall before i applied butyl over the back wall. Ive personally seen alot of guys screw their racks right up against the back wall which is fine, it holds very well but can buzz a little. Again, drives me nuts!!
Old 04-03-2014, 04:22 PM

My friend has some pics of sound deadening on his camera that i need to get. Here is my back wall sound deadened which also goes down on to the floor into the storage tubs. I believe I used an entire shop pack 90sq/ft on the wall and floor. Besides the front doors, deadening the back wall and rear floor area made a huge difference. Obviously the resonances from the sub box can be very substantial and getting those resonances under control improved the sub bass a lot! Besides the doors, I highly recommend deadening the back wall and rear floor area especially if you are running an under seat subwoofer enclosure.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:47 PM

next phase was more power. The DYNAUDIO esotar 650's are efficient enough to sound beautifully with 90 watts but I knew more power would really make them come to life and add tons of dynamics to the music. So I decided to pull the DYNAUDIO md102's off my Arc Audio KS300.4 and bridge the amp essentially sending 350 watts to each esotar 650 and I was right. They came alive! Some added output...maybe 6db's or so, but tons of dynamics. The 650's became much more snappy, tons of attack, and have zero hint of falling apart at very high volume. They hold their composure very well.
So now I need a dedicated tweeter amp.
I had the opportunity to try an Arc Audio 2075SE which is a beautiful amp and dead silent. Pushing 75 watts to each md102 and they sounded really good. Some people believe that power is power and amps do not sound different, but this clearly showed that they do! The 2075SE made the md102's sound a bit better. More neutral, warm (if a tweeter can sound warm lol) and vibrant.
So now I have 2 subwoofer amps,
an amp for my midbass
and an amp for my tweeters.
The nice thing about the Pioneer 80PRS is it's ability to run active, have multiple crossover setting points (too many actually)
Time alignment etc...
but also have complete control on level matching every speaker in the system so one pair isn't over powering the others. That made matching my tweeter output to the midbass very easy, but I def messed with that for a few weeks.
when in doubt...get more power...your speakers will thank you

^^lot of people do not like the look of a single din HU these days, but the processing capabilities of this head unit at this price point is second to none...atleast when it comes to brand new, current HU's on the market