DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2012 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2012 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2012 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-05-2014, 12:43 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Rep:77
Doom4life will become famous soon enough
Default Anyone else thinking about/planning to trade?

My 2012 Sport is coming up on 65,000 km and I'm thinking about trading it in for a 2014 Sport but am on the fence.

If I trade right now, I will end up owing about $5,000 which is something I could pay off in a few months (or just roll it into the new loan and pay more). That amount is based on trade in value at the dealer but if I sell privately I actually owe less then it's worth.

I'd get nothing but nice newer features in the trade but am wondering if anyone else is thinking about trading soon? I guess I am looking at what things I will need to be buying soon - new tires within three months, brake pads and rotors, etc. and am pondering if I am better of putting that money into the new truck as opposed to buying those things now just for the next owner to have.

Obviously dealers give you less money, but I like the fact that I can just trade it in and not have to bother with selling privately.

FWIW, I bought the '12 as a work vehicle as my '02 Dakota was starting to need high money repairs with the original plan to trade it in within 2-3 years of purchasing as I wanted the 8 speed.
Sponsored links
Old 04-06-2014, 08:11 PM

Vehicle: 2012 RAM 1500 QC 4x4
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:11
BCRAM is on a distinguished road

I am thinking of trading my 2012 Ram 1500 for another brand. I love my truck but with the payload at only 1170 lbs it is now proving to be not enough for my needs. With a full tank of gas (270 lbs), towing a trailer (300 lbs tongue weight), a 12' car topper boat + truck rack (280 lbs) only leaves about 300 lbs for driver and passengers, let alone any other gear that is in the truck.

I have looked around at some 2014 Ram 1500's but the payload is not much better.

I checked out and priced a Hemi powered Ram 2500 but for a bit more money, I can get into a Ford F350 XLT model which is similarly optioned and has more then enough payload for my needs. A similarly equipped Ram 3500 is way too far out of my price range...even without the Cummins diesel option.

I will decide soon and it would be tough to trade in my Ram...
Old 04-06-2014, 08:26 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I am considering buying a 2015 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel

I won't be able to trade the 2009 1500 in though, it will take me to long to get the new Ram outfitted with everything that i now have on the 2009 & i may be completely painting the new Ram Orange

The only thing that is holding me back is that the 2009 has a Lifetime Factory Drive Train Warranty & i hate to lose that.
The 2009 is now over 5 years old & has 106,000 miles on it
__________________________________________________ ___________________
Dear Abby,
my ash tray is full, should i trade my Ram in, or just empty the ash tray ?
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 04-06-2014, 09:51 PM
"Just living the dream"

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Longhorn
Trim Level: Longhorn Rambox
Color: Prairie Pearl / White Gold Trim
Rep:1634
Chunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=GTyankee;1381926]I am considering buying a 2015 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel

I won't be able to trade the 2009 1500 in though, it will take me to long to get the new Ram outfitted with everything that i now have on the 2009 & i may be completely painting the new Ram Orange

The only thing that is holding me back is that the 2009 has a Lifetime Factory Drive Train Warranty & i hate to lose that.
The 2009 is now over 5 years old & has 106,000 miles on it

Well I had the opportunity to test drive the Eco Diesel....What a nice truck and I was really impressed with the Diesel.....Very quiet as well......

Enjoy RamForumZ? Support your forum and become a SITE SUPPORTER today!

Please be sure you understand the Ram ForumZ RULES

"MOST OF ALL HAVE FUN AND ENJOY THE SITE"
Old 04-06-2014, 10:03 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 ram 2500
Trim Level: Bighorn
Color: flame red
Rep:471
Kcbigbadram is a glorious beacon of lightKcbigbadram is a glorious beacon of lightKcbigbadram is a glorious beacon of lightKcbigbadram is a glorious beacon of lightKcbigbadram is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCRAM View Post
I am thinking of trading my 2012 Ram 1500 for another brand. I love my truck but with the payload at only 1170 lbs it is now proving to be not enough for my needs. With a full tank of gas (270 lbs), towing a trailer (300 lbs tongue weight), a 12' car topper boat + truck rack (280 lbs) only leaves about 300 lbs for driver and passengers, let alone any other gear that is in the truck.

I have looked around at some 2014 Ram 1500's but the payload is not much better.

I checked out and priced a Hemi powered Ram 2500 but for a bit more money, I can get into a Ford F350 XLT model which is similarly optioned and has more then enough payload for my needs. A similarly equipped Ram 3500 is way too far out of my price range...even without the Cummins diesel option.

I will decide soon and it would be tough to trade in my Ram...
With all options being the same a ram 3500 should only be about $1000 more than a 2500

6" BDS lift kit, BMF R.E.P.R, 37" toyo MT, recon cab lights, color matched interior trim, tinted tails, custom headlights, cjc off-road light bar, backrack, afe stage 2 CAI
sponsored by BULLY'S PERFORMANCE
Old 04-07-2014, 07:13 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn Quad Cab
Color: White
Rep:45
tguil is on a distinguished road

I have thought some about trading my 2012 Big Horn. It's paid for and I have the funds to pay cash for a new one. My 2012 has about 34,000 miles on it. I put on new Michelins at about 26,000 miles. Just had new plugs installed so it should be in pretty good shape for a while. Before trading, both my 2003 Ram and my 2007 Ram had almost 100,0000 miles on them.

Even though I know Rams are good for 100,000 miles I'd still so sort like to trade just to trade. BUT I am still PO'd with the the paint job that my 2012 had/has and am not ready to go through that again. When Ram can guarantee as good a quality paint as Toyota, I might be ready to buy another. Over the years our family has had five Toyota trucks. None have had paint issues.
2012 White Hemi 1500 QC, 4X4, Big Horn Edition, Protection Group, Luxury Group, 3.92 Anti-Spin, Mopar Bedliner, Mopar Tubular Side Steps, Mopar Molded Mud Guards, Access Roll Up Tonneau, Michelin LTX M/S 2's
Old 04-08-2014, 07:16 PM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:636
huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

i would only trade if went to 2500 or 3500 and that is not going to happen for awhile.
BCRAM: i find it hard to believe a similarly equipped ford is more expensive than a Ram. you could save some dollars and get the 6.4 in either HD ram.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:41 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn Quad Cab
Rep:45
tguil is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom4life View Post
My 2012 Sport is coming up on 65,000 km and I'm thinking about trading it in for a 2014 Sport but am on the fence.

If I trade right now, I will end up owing about $5,000 which is something I could pay off in a few months (or just roll it into the new loan and pay more). That amount is based on trade in value at the dealer but if I sell privately I actually owe less then it's worth.

I'd get nothing but nice newer features in the trade but am wondering if anyone else is thinking about trading soon? I guess I am looking at what things I will need to be buying soon - new tires within three months, brake pads and rotors, etc. and am pondering if I am better of putting that money into the new truck as opposed to buying those things now just for the next owner to have.

Obviously dealers give you less money, but I like the fact that I can just trade it in and not have to bother with selling privately.

FWIW, I bought the '12 as a work vehicle as my '02 Dakota was starting to need high money repairs with the original plan to trade it in within 2-3 years of purchasing as I wanted the 8 speed.
I just noticed you are from Canada and did a little math. You only have about 40,000 miles on your Ram and have a lot of drivetrain warranty left. You and I are in the "same ballpark" as far as mileage and age of truck. You probably will need tires. A really good set of Michelins will run you about $1000 American. I'll bet you will not need brakes for quite a while. I replaced the brakes on my 2007 at about 90,000 miles and still had a bit of pad left. The 2014's might have some nice features but really very few are all that nice. Sure I'd like to have the 8-speed transmission (But I rather not have the knob.) As it is now, I may trade for a 2015. My 2012 will have good tires, but when I do trade I'll be sure to point that out to the sales folks. Guess I'm suggesting waiting to see what the 2015's have to offer. Also most of the glitches in the "fancy new stuff" on the 2014's might be corrected by then. It appears that you are in fair shape financially to do whatever you please. Have fun.

By the way, I'm not a diesel guy unless it would be for a bada-- Cummins.
2012 White Hemi 1500 QC, 4X4, Big Horn Edition, Protection Group, Luxury Group, 3.92 Anti-Spin, Mopar Bedliner, Mopar Tubular Side Steps, Mopar Molded Mud Guards, Access Roll Up Tonneau, Michelin LTX M/S 2's
Old 04-08-2014, 08:08 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi 4x4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Blue
Rep:10
YO208 is on a distinguished road

I thought about it, but for the few extra features that the new ones have over mine didnt think it was worth it. Now, I will reconsider when they completely redesign the trucks.
Old 04-09-2014, 03:41 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 4X4 Crew CAb
Trim Level: LoneStar Rambox
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:74
ghorn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom4life View Post

If I trade right now, I will end up owing about $5,000 ... I guess I am looking at what things I will need to be buying soon - new tires within three months, brake pads and rotors, etc. and am pondering if I am better of putting that money into the new truck as opposed to buying those things now just for the next owner to have.....
I have to admit I am puzzled how other sometimes think about this matter.

To me,...it's a no-brainer...to keep a vehicle until it's paid off. (I mean, do you LIKE being in debt constantly?)

And thinking about replacing worn parts with new (such as brakes/rotors/etc) like that's something you are doing for someone ELSE... really slays me!
You aren't doing those things for other people ... and certainly aren't doing it to SELL or TRADE it, I hope. (Just go throw that money into the toilet and pull the handle! ....because the next owner is going to beat you down anyway on the mileage in compensation for those worn items. If you replace them, he will only smile...you'll get nothing for your expenditure.)

The way to think about this is: KEEP your (barely used) vehicle. PAY IT OFF!
DRIVE IT! perhaps for the next ten years and get your money out of it, while enjoying it for the reasons you bought it in the FIRST place.

Stay OUT of debt. By paying off your Sport, and driving it, you will benefit from the value still in that vehicle AND you'll be able to enjoy your savings for the more important matters....like your health, your security (now that you have financial safety) ...and family and friends.

"People first. Things second." -- Andrews, designer of Titanic.

Last edited by ghorn; 04-09-2014 at 03:44 AM.