DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-08-2014, 12:28 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Express regular cab
Trim Level: Express
Color: cherry red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
knightexpress is on a distinguished road
Default any chance taking 3V Mustang

My brother has a 2006 Mustang convertible 3V GT basically stock. I have a 2013 regular cab express all stock. The mustang should quarter mile 13.80 to 14.00 ET. if my figures are right.

Is there any chance I can get my truck to run neck to neck with him with bolt ons.
or better yet hit the lights first. Bolts ons would be exhaust CAI and can tune

any one ran a similar Mustang with a stock Express and care to give results
Sponsored links
Old 04-08-2014, 01:22 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black
Rep:10
JGRam81 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightexpress View Post
My brother has a 2006 Mustang convertible 3V GT basically stock. I have a 2013 regular cab express all stock. The mustang should quarter mile 13.80 to 14.00 ET. if my figures are right.

Is there any chance I can get my truck to run neck to neck with him with bolt ons.
or better yet hit the lights first. Bolts ons would be exhaust CAI and can tune

any one ran a similar Mustang with a stock Express and care to give results
I smoke-checked a Mustang GT yesterday, but that also wasn't at a track or in a controlled environment. I have a CAI, Y-pipe, exhaust and a custom tune. I believe it's more than possible, my friend.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:52 PM

Vehicle: 2013 dodge ram
Trim Level: express
Color: white
Rep:25
jharrram13 is on a distinguished road

I would have to agree. The new 5.0 GT'S are quick but unless its a boosted cobra I would say its plenty possible.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:49 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Quad Cab
Trim Level: SLT 4x4
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:214
Gecko has a spectacular aura aboutGecko has a spectacular aura aboutGecko has a spectacular aura about

I don't know if you'll be a new 5.0 but the 2006 GT's have the 4.6's so it may be possible.
-Full Custom Dual Exhaust by Big Power Racing - Inertia Crazy Jay Plus Cam -Pacesetter LTs - BFI Composite #83 - Inertia Custom Tune - Dual DMH Cutouts - 87mm TB - 180* t-stat-
Old 04-08-2014, 06:39 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Rep:251
SteelTownStang is a jewel in the roughSteelTownStang is a jewel in the roughSteelTownStang is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharrram13 View Post
I would have to agree. The new 5.0 GT'S are quick but unless its a boosted cobra I would say its plenty possible.
What? He's talking about a 2006 GT, which has 300hp/320tq and weighs about 3,400 lbs. I'd say a lightly mod'ed new Ram would make it close, but the Mustang would still win.

A new 5.0, with 420hp/390tq at 3,600 lbs, would blow the doors off the Ram, which weights about 6k- depending on the model and trim. Sure, the Ram has 395hp/407tq, but it's all about the power to weight ratio... plus gearing, drive train loss, power band, peak hp/tq, tire size, tread width/traction, fuel/octane, as well as other variables.

Actually the Ram is one of the slowest trucks. Good luck going against another truck, let alone a Mustang.

Edit: FYI- I had an '07 GT, they're faster than they appear. I've also owned two GT500s ("boosted Cobras")- 662hp/631tq- scary fast!
MODS: Magnaflow Cat-Back Exhaust, aFe Stage II CAI, Extang Solid-Fold Tonneau, Mopar Side Steps, Mopar Mats & Bedliner, AMP Bed XTender, Daystar 2.5 Leveling Kit, Fuel Pump Black Wheels (20x9/+1 Offset), Toyo Open Country Extreme A/T Tires (35/12.50/20), Aries Stealth Bull Bar, & KC SlimLites.

Last edited by SteelTownStang; 04-08-2014 at 06:54 PM.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:11 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Limited
Trim Level: Longhorn Limited
Rep:11
Spaightlabs is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTownStang View Post

Actually the Ram is one of the slowest trucks. Good luck going against another truck, let alone a Mustang.
Whaaaaat?

My Ram is much faster than my '11 F150 5.0, not even close, and I refuse to believe it won't plow the new GM motor under.

Titan and Tacoma? No experience, don't know...
Old 04-11-2014, 02:48 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Laramie 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Rep:365
Pull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nice

If your estimate of his times are correct(13.8 or 14.0) unless you have a shit load of bolt on's I'm thinking he going to hand you your ass. From what I've read there aren't a lot of Ram's running in the 13's---most are in the 14's and low 15's depending on the bolt on's they have, their driving skills, traction and the weather.
Jay
Old 04-11-2014, 06:22 PM

SteelTownStang is a jewel in the roughSteelTownStang is a jewel in the roughSteelTownStang is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaightlabs View Post
Whaaaaat?

My Ram is much faster than my '11 F150 5.0, not even close, and I refuse to believe it won't plow the new GM motor under.

Titan and Tacoma? No experience, don't know...
"... much faster" Maybe you had the emergency brake on, or it was perpetually stuck in first gear

I don't subscribe to any single source, but I do give credibility to multiple collaborative sources, which clearly illustrate that the Ram (4 Gen) is heavier and slower than most other newer full-size trucks of similar specs.

Obviously I like the Ram, or I would have not purchased one, but I am not a fanboy to any brand. The truck is definitely quicker than earlier generations of trucks, but I have no delusion of it being "much faster" than any other comparable trucks when, in fact, it is slower. Five minutes of research will easily prove this point.

Nonetheless, it is a fine truck, but it will not beat a 2006 Mustang GT in 0-60, 1/4 mile, or whatever speed measurable format you choose without performance modifications... and I wouldn't put my pink slip on that '11 5.0 F-150 either.
MODS: Magnaflow Cat-Back Exhaust, aFe Stage II CAI, Extang Solid-Fold Tonneau, Mopar Side Steps, Mopar Mats & Bedliner, AMP Bed XTender, Daystar 2.5 Leveling Kit, Fuel Pump Black Wheels (20x9/+1 Offset), Toyo Open Country Extreme A/T Tires (35/12.50/20), Aries Stealth Bull Bar, & KC SlimLites.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:39 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Limited
Trim Level: Longhorn Limited
Rep:11
Spaightlabs is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTownStang View Post
"... much faster" Maybe you had the emergency brake on, or it was perpetually stuck in first gear

I don't subscribe to any single source, but I do give credibility to multiple collaborative sources, which clearly illustrate that the Ram (4 Gen) is heavier and slower than most other newer full-size trucks of similar specs.

Obviously I like the Ram, or I would have not purchased one, but I am not a fanboy to any brand. The truck is definitely quicker than earlier generations of trucks, but I have no delusion of it being "much faster" than any other comparable trucks when, in fact, it is slower. Five minutes of research will easily prove this point.

Nonetheless, it is a fine truck, but it will not beat a 2006 Mustang GT in 0-60, 1/4 mile, or whatever speed measurable format you choose without performance modifications... and I wouldn't put my pink slip on that '11 5.0 F-150 either.
I had the F150 for 3 years - and I have a pretty decent ass-dyno after 15 years of racing bikes. The 14 Ram 5.7, 3.92, 8 speed will crush the 5.0 Ford. Bet your pink slip on it. Every. Time.

I'm not a fan boi either. My last 3 trucks have been Chevy, Ford, Dodge.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaightlabs View Post
I had the F150 for 3 years - and I have a pretty decent ass-dyno after 15 years of racing bikes. The 14 Ram 5.7, 3.92, 8 speed will crush the 5.0 Ford. Bet your pink slip on it. Every. Time.

I'm not a fan boi either. My last 3 trucks have been Chevy, Ford, Dodge.

Thanks for the resume. I've had a few F150s too... and a few racing bikes, and been to the track... and have experience with "real" dynos, but none of this really matters...

As mentioned in my earlier post, I'm referring to comparable specs. I surmise that your F150 had 3.31s or 3.55s. If it had 3.73s or 4.10s... you lose. Even with the former, you still will not be crushing anything... You "might" squeak by, but only because of your 15 years of butt-dyno experience. Hopefully the other guy doesn't have 16 years... or you lose again.

I'm just busting your chops. Good luck with you Ram and I hope that you crush every F150 you see... Chevys too, and anything else that gets in your way.

Edit: OP, let us know how well you did against your brother...

Last edited by SteelTownStang; 04-12-2014 at 08:12 PM.