DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Body & Interior

Notices

Body & Interior 4th Gen Dodge Ram Body & Interior Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-08-2014, 11:20 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Maximum Steel Metallic
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
schmidt is on a distinguished road
Default Rock chips behind side step fix?

So I'm getting rock chips on my passenger side rear quarter panel, directly behind my side steps on my '13 Laramie. These chips are on the ridge of the quarter panel, not down the side. This is only on the passenger side for some reason. I've also had mudflaps on since new. I don't do any gravel road driving, must be picking up some rocks around the city roads. My question is there some sort of protective guard that can be put on? Toyota Tacoma's have a black plastic guard which covers this area, I was hoping someone would know of something similar. I'm not looking to use the clear 3M tape as the chips look bad and will be tough to cover up. Also the picture of the ram and tacoma are courtesy of the internet, not mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg file2.jpg (22.5 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0903.jpg (101.8 KB, 38 views)
Sponsored links
Old 04-08-2014, 01:33 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black Gold Pearlcoat
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:38
rcmpvet is on a distinguished road

I will let someone else with more knowledge add to my post, but I am thinking Plasti Dip for not only that area but the whole bottom (to match the lines).
Old 04-09-2014, 11:05 AM

Trim Level: Sport Crew Cab
Color: Red
Rep:20
Big Red 1 is on a distinguished road

I'm not sure Plasti Dip would be durable enough to absorb impacts: it can gouge and tear easily. I would use a black textured, adhesive backed anti slip material. Make a template and cut the piece needed, then install: it will look factory applied. I have done this on my Sport: fabricating door sill protectors and behind each wheel (to cover up rock chips). I purchased the material at www.antisliptapeshop.com. One thought: is it possible that the bed on your truck is mis aligned? It seems strange that only one side would be getting chipped. Hope this helps.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:56 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red 1 View Post
I'm not sure Plasti Dip would be durable enough to absorb impacts: it can gouge and tear easily. I would use a black textured, adhesive backed anti slip material. Make a template and cut the piece needed, then install: it will look factory applied. I have done this on my Sport: fabricating door sill protectors and behind each wheel (to cover up rock chips). I purchased the material at www.antisliptapeshop.com. One thought: is it possible that the bed on your truck is mis aligned? It seems strange that only one side would be getting chipped. Hope this helps.
I checked that site out, that looks like a pretty good idea, thanks! You wouldn't happen to have any pictures of your truck done up with this stuff would you?

As far as the bed being misaligned, I'm not too sure. If it is, it's not really noticeable. I know this is a problem for some Ram owners. Maybe I'll have to grab the tape measure and check one of these days. Pretty sad the quality control on these trucks is so lax. I mean why should a person need to measure the gap on their new truck to see if their bed is misaligned!
Old 04-15-2014, 09:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Actually I just looked today, and it does look like my bed is misaligned compared to the cab. It looks like the passenger side of the bed where the rock chips are occurring is almost flush with the side of the cab. Where as the driver side of the bed is inset compared to the side of the cab about an inch, and no rock chips. I guess I'll have to call the dealer about this, but this is total BS; $60,000 truck with under 2000 miles and I've had the one side of the bed repainted because it had a paint flaw in it and now this.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:10 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2597
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

Normally your passenger side is to the right side of the road
any dirt, gravel, small rocks would be on the right side of the road, not on the centerline
Another thing, your drive axle/wheel is on your passenger side, even if you do have anti slip rear axle

You could use the same material that comes on a Ram between the window posts on your doors, it is not anti slip material, but it is durable
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 04-20-2014, 09:48 PM

Trim Level: Sport Crew Cab
Color: Red
Rep:20
Big Red 1 is on a distinguished road

schmidt - I posted a topic in the "custom exterior modifications section" titled "Installed WeatherTech mud flaps with modifications": I included pictures in the post. I know what you mean regarding quality control. I have many cosmetic blemishes on my 14 Sport that I am not pleased about, but on the flip side, there are no mechanical complaints. My bed is offset slightly (further out on the passenger side): not enough to notice so I will leave it alone. Let me know how you make out.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:41 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I took it to the dealer, and they tried moving the box, but to me there looks like no change whatsoever. I bought some touch up paint, and ordered some clear 3M tape for cheap. I'll try it out and see how it looks. I think I may give another dealer a call and see if I can get them to move the box, don't think the first dealer had a clue.