Problem... crappy factory sound system
Solution completely ripping everything out & starting from scratch.
Started out by taking out the back seats and covering the cubbies with blue painters tape. The black electrical tape is to mark out the framing of the seat brackets.
I created a template out of 3 pieces of 1/8" poster board taped together. Walgreens $3.50 per sheet
Then I traced out the template on to a sheet of 3/4 mdf (Home Depot $35 only used two 4x8 sheets total) and went to town with the jigsaw. To outline the inside of the frame I measured 1.5"s around the whole inside perimeter & knocked it out with a combination of a hole saw & jigsaw. The cup holder cutout was a bit tricky. I used home electrical wiring I had laying around to create a jig/form that I could transfer onto the mdf & it worked out great. It's the yellow stuff in the bottom right hand corner of the pic.
I test fit the frame back in the truck everything lines up OK good. I then glued, clamped and nailed the frame to another piece of mdf. Hit it with router using a flush trim bit. Took that and did the same thing on anther piece of 3/4". so now I'm 3 pieces tall.
Another quick test fit.
As you can see I just started to put on 3 more small pieces of scrap mdf to reach the bottom of the floor just behind the cupholders.
I also used a round over bit on the bottom part of the frame.
I then laid a roll of aluminum tape for heater ducts (Home Depot $5) and form wax for ease of removal of the box. I also extended the blue painters tape out a bit to prevent any accidents from occurring and to hold the frame in place while I was glassing it. I purchased all of my fiberglassing products from US Composites. Resin, cloth, matt, catalyst,form wax and resin wax.
My beautiful girlfriend lending a hand with the glassing.
After about 2 layers in the truck dried I removed & added about 2 more layers.
I then laid it on the final piece of mdf glued,clamped and nailed. Used the flush trim bit then roundover bit so there are no harsh corners anywhere. Cut out mounting holes using a circle jig. Now she was ready for spray deadener inside and out. I had to put the super MacDaddy stretch on the carpet and done. I seriously think the hardest part was wrapping it with carpet.
I used a combination of speaker wire knotted and calked on the inside. On the outside I put resin in the hole to seal of the speaker wire lead holes.