DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 4.7L PowerTech V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-15-2014, 09:55 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT
Trim Level: SLT (Image Group)
Color: White
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
boeing4801 is on a distinguished road
Default Radiator Pressurization/Heat Sys.

So a couple months ago I got my first truck. (Summer of 2013) 2002 Dodge 1500 Quad 4x4 with the 4.7. Very well maintained with just over 160K. The owner mentioned he had replaced the radiator. So a couple months into driving it the "New" radiator blew and I had to baby it to the shop to get another new one. Ever since I left the shop it has not been the same. Lack of power, knocking, and alternator sounds like crap. So winter rolls around a couple weeks later and I loose my heat. Find out my radiator is overflowing into my reserve. When I fill it all the way up I get some heat now (Lukewarm) but when it drains (overflows) back out its just room temp again. I took it back and the guy replaced the cap today but still is overflowing and not much difference. Does this sound like a pressurization problem?

The guy tried to convince me I had a blown head gasket. Could this be a possibility? Or is he just trying to get out of fixing it. Or something else? Water Pump?

Last edited by boeing4801; 04-15-2014 at 09:58 PM.
Sponsored links
Old 04-16-2014, 12:25 AM
God Bless Texas!

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lonestar QC
Rep:2929
RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

That's not good. How's your gas mileage now? Is your check engine light on, or does it/has it come on?
Old 04-16-2014, 12:38 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Never have seen the check engine light and MPG is around 10-12. If I really baby it I can get 14. Ordered some sensors (MAP) to see if that solves the problem of the loss of power to narrow down the radiator/heat issue.

Wouldn't a blown head Gasket be noticeable? Check engine lights would be on too right?
Old 04-16-2014, 12:43 AM
God Bless Texas!

RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

If it was a blown head gasket, the check engine light probably would not come on. Check your oil to see if you have water/coolant in it. It would show up as cloudy oil. A bad EGR valve would also cause your symptoms. Is it overheating? Getting too hot will cause loss of power. But overheating will also blow a head gasket.
Take it to your local parts store and ask them to connect their scan tool to the OBDII port and see if there are any codes.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:53 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

It is not overheating although when the old one blew I did not realize I was overheating (Driving On Interstate) until it was pretty hot, then I immediately pulled over and shut the truck off. Not sure if that would have blown a gasket or not. Have had oil changed three times since then by myself, at dealer and Firestone and nothing was noticed in oil.

Are head gaskets pretty easy to replace? Would it be better to replace only the one or all at once?
Old 04-16-2014, 02:39 AM
God Bless Texas!

Although it may not be in your oil, it could be leaking in to the cylinder and being burnt off. i would do a pressure test on it and see if there is a leak somewhere just to rule that out. It doesn't take that long and you can rent a pressure tester from your local parts store.

I wouldn't say they are easy, but they are definitely within the skill level of most weekend mechanics. If you have any mechanical knowledge and/or skill, a shop manual and a descent set of tools, it will be not only a learning project, but one that you could accomplish on a Saturday.

I would recommend that you do both sides since you'll have to remove the intake anyway. And once you've done one side, the other will be a piece of cake. Find a local engine machine shop that is open on Saturday just in case.

Good luck with the project and let us know how it turns out.