DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2009 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2009 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2009 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-06-2014, 11:53 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 1500 Laramie
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Red/silver
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Redramnit is on a distinguished road

I had the clicking actuator door thing happen 3 times on my 09 laramie. The first two the dealer took care of it (under warrantee). Then the third one (war rented expired) the dealer tried to sock it to me by calling me to approve each step of the diagnosis process (tip toe to robbing me). I got tired of it and called Dodge Ram support www.ramtrucks.com . They created a ticket and make a long story short they paid 3/4 of the bill. The dealer said it was an actuator door that hasn't been changed yet, lol!! I hope this helps for situations that you feel aren't fair to you and maybe these people can help if you tell them how much of a loyal Dodge customer you are. Like us all!!!
Sponsored links
Old 07-07-2014, 07:36 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Grey
Archer1Joe is on a distinguished road

Just want to say thanks for the heads up on Dorf, was about to make the purchase and stumbled on this blog, will get the mopar part. My wife took my truck to the dealer for me while I was at work, they charged her $100 to diagnose the actuator and quoted over $200 to fix it. I pulled the dash apart & had the actuator in my hand in ten minutes, I see the actuator will cost me about $25 and another ten minutes to put it all back together, found there was a recall for this, will never do business with this dealer again, not to happy with dodge either,gave me the run around with this recall, they told me a week ago the dealer was to call me and wanted to look at the truck again, I guess there run around is going to work, I will fix it myself due to one near miss with fogged up windows. Sorry if this sounds negative, but gave my 98 to my brother, still on the road with over 250k on it & we are fixing the same stuff.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:21 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Rep:40
barronc is on a distinguished road

My 09 started knocking in the dash around 6 months ago. I first had it checked by my local dealer and was told that it was the blend door actuator and it would run $800 to fix. I opted out and took it upon myself to replace the part. FYI check out the schematic before busting in your dash wide open. I ended up replacing both actuators behind the radio before realizing that the blend door actuator is WAY far in the dash close to the firewall. I lucked out by calling Dodge and mentioning the K17. They took it as a re-occuring issue and made a trouble ticket avaible to my local dealership. Took the dealership 3 days to get conformation from Dodge, but they fixed it up. This was 2 weeks ago so and no knocking yet!
Old 08-11-2014, 01:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT Chrome package
Color: Deep Water Blue
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
RSH-2112 is on a distinguished road

I have never been satisfied with the air controls on this truck. 09 Big Horn.
They have worked on it twice anmd the last time the service manager asked me "you really want me to tear out your dash"?
I told him **** yea, whatever it takes fix it. I waited about two hours when they came back and said they fixed it. Said they replaced the actuator motor.?
They did not write anything about it on the invoice/receipt.

The noise was gone and the air seemed to direct correctly afterwards.
Now I notice the fan will change speed on it s own.
It will be running and then all of a sudden you hear a change in speed. Seems it speeds up. Its intermittent.

Lots of reoccurring issues with this vehicle.
Old 09-01-2014, 05:08 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport Crew Cab
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
jtcollins is on a distinguished road

I'm having the popping noise behind the dash as well. It's in rhythm like someone playing drums. I assumed one of the actuators was bad so started pulling them out one at a time to see which one it was. I removed the two behind the dash and the one behind the lower left of the glove box. The noise is STILL THERE! It sounds like it is coming from behind the lower glove box behind the plastic. Is there another actuator back there???

Here is a video with the noise and where it appears to come from. It's a little bit at the beginning and then really kicks in at the 37 second mark of the video:
http://youtu.be/C7UFMjK5D7c

Last edited by jtcollins; 09-01-2014 at 06:11 PM. Reason: added video link
Old 09-14-2014, 08:26 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 1500 Crew Cab TRX
Trim Level: TRX
Color: Detonator Yellow
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:29
NolaRam is on a distinguished road

I like that you've captured it on film. I had mine warrantied and the new one is making the noise again....
Old 09-15-2014, 10:08 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Sport quad cab
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:360
starquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nice

First I've heard of this. Good info for when I upgrade to a 4th gen. Hard to believe Ram is still having issues with their HVAC doors after all these years.
06-08 chrome clads w/33" Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus, Mopar tailgate spoiler, debadged door trim & tailgate emblems, 13" antenna, LED dome & maps, Magnaflow 22" SI/DO, 18% tint, "HEMI" hood spears, VHT tinted tails & third brake light, Lamin-x optic blue fogs, leveled w/McGaughys 2" drop shackles.
Old 11-28-2014, 11:54 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 dodge ram
Trim Level: laramie
Color: brown
dmartyna is on a distinguished road

FYI all who are having this same problem. I don't remember how I found it but I actually found the k17 notice for the recall on the web. It is about 20 pages. It has detailed instructions on how to change the actuators. 3 of them are super easy to change and should only take about half an hour. The right temp actuator and recirculattion door actuator however or terrible. You need to remove the entire dash, center console ece. if you remove the glove box and you here the noise from behind the vent ductwork you have the nasty ones'. I suspect it will take me 6 hours to do the work myself. (I am not a mechanic just a bit handy). I am fighting with dodge right now to try and get them to honor the recall. It has apparently been done on my truck before I purchased it.

From what I can gather from the recall instructions, if you change out the actuators yourself you should probably go to the dealer and get the system re-calibrated. If not i wonder if your motors can over drive themselves and could be the reason some of your are having the problem re-occur??
Old 12-05-2014, 11:09 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 dodge ram
Trim Level: laramie
Color: brown
dmartyna is on a distinguished road

The Heater treater videos do not show how to change the temperature control actuator and the recirc door actuator (there are 5 total actuators and 3 of them would take less than 30 minutes to fix). Dodge would not cover mine under the K17 recall because this was already done on the vehicle. I am handy but know nothing about cars and with the combination of the K17 document and the service manual I was able to do the work in about 5 hours. The temperature control actuator is a real bitch though to replace but you can do it without removing the entire air conditioning unit which would require draining fluids. I think if I did it again it would take me about 3 hours. So the $1500 the dealer was going to charge is crazy. It was $100 in parts.

The k17 kept mentioning calibrating the actuators so I am going to call dealer today and see if they can do this for me. It requires hooking it up to their computer.

Even without the calibration everything works well.

PS. The K17 document is a must for doing this work. It tells you exactly what Needs to be done (not necessarily how to do it, this is where the service manual is good) and what you can work around, the service manual only tells you how to remove stuff but not everything needs to be completely removed (like the steering column only needs to be dropped to the floor) and the k17 document is really helpful for this.