DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Body & Interior

Notices

Body & Interior 2nd Gen Dodge Ram Body & Interior Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-16-2014, 09:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2003 dodge ram qc
Rep:10
macey54 is on a distinguished road
Default Questions about 3rd gen dash swap

So my situation is that i currently own a 3rd generation truck but i would like to purchase a diesel truck while remaining loyal to Dodge. I really can't afford a common rail truck so i was thinking about looking to the 2nd generation rams. My problem is that although i like the 2nd generation equally if not better, i really hate the 2nd generation dashboard. I have found a few swaps floating around but nothing with the how-to/finished. It is clearly a huge amount of work, but it seems as if the biggest problem is the wiring.

The electronics i can think of off the top of my head would be:
Head lamp switch
Heater controls
Radio
Outlets
Passenger air bag

The radio would be simple as i would use an aftermarket radio with a wiring kit. The outlets would be simple wiring. I was thinking i might be able to modify the headlamp switch from the 2nd gen to fit the 3rd gen bezel, and same with the heater controls. The hardest part i can think of would be the airbag wiring.

If anyone can let me know if any of these ideas are feasible, or if you have easier methods that would be great. Also does anyone know of any actual swap threads?
Sponsored links
Old 04-16-2014, 10:58 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1997 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:160
Lazarus Truck has a spectacular aura aboutLazarus Truck has a spectacular aura about

I'd advise against it. Between years, and especially generations, we tend to change connector configurations. Even matching connectors could have different pin-outs between years. Huge amount of work. Plus, you dont even know what the hvac system behind the dash looks like. It may not even physically fit. How about you look into using Hydrographics (dip printing) to make your existing dash pieces look alot cooler? I'm doing my dash in fall-realtree. JMHO. Good luck!
Old 04-17-2014, 12:08 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

I definitely understand where you are coming from and i suppose that even if i couldn't swap the dash i could still find myself in a second gen. I'm just concerned that i will regret the change from my 03.

Plus its pictures like this that make me itch to figure out this swap. Apparently this truck also had a common rail swap which made the electronics easier.

And also this thread which I am disappointed that never came to a close.

Click here for build thread

This guy managed to fit (mostly) the 06-09 dash and i believe get the HVAC working.

Last edited by macey54; 04-17-2014 at 12:19 AM.
Old 04-17-2014, 12:12 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Forgive me for my lack of posting skills, but do you know how i can make that link work?

until i figure that out here is a link to his photobucket
Pictures of build

Last edited by macey54; 04-17-2014 at 12:21 AM.
Old 04-17-2014, 12:39 AM

Vehicle: 1997 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Rep:160
Lazarus Truck has a spectacular aura aboutLazarus Truck has a spectacular aura about

I feel your pain brother. But to me, the 2g is much better than the 3g as far as looks. My 97 is black, with the tan leather interior, light-tan carpet, and the shitty gray headliner. I changed the headliner to dark-brown, carpet too, and now the interior is mine, and really pops! That dash change will only bring you sadness and stress. I'm older, and have had 30 years of hot-rods. I hope to have some interior pics up soon to show what I have done on the cheap.
Old 04-17-2014, 12:53 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

That would be great. And i agree, i like the exterior of the 2nd generations better as well. I just wish there was a way that i could get a similar interior feel to what i have now without breaking the bank. Also i have a double din radio which i already have a custom bezel for the third gen so it would be nice to be able to keep it. Oh well.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:03 AM

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram 1500, 2000 Ram
Trim Level: Laramie, SLT
Color: Red/Grey
Rep:69
slimpartywagon will become famous soon enough

I swapped the dash from a 1995 Ram into a 2000 Ram, both obviously are second Gens... but from what I learned from doing the swap... it is a huge pain in the ass. The harness's aren't going to just swap in like you think. and even though heater controls and headlight switch might look the same, they are just a little bit different... I ended up having to make a custom dash face (the black part that surrounds everything) to make switches and the gauges fit... yes I know I am talking an OBDI to OBDII swap, but the same is going to apply for a gen 3 to gen 2 swap... also something to think about... the difference in width of the cabs (even a 1/4" is a huge difference) and the height difference between dashes.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Ok so it definitely sounds like i am not going with the dash swap route on this one. If I buy a second gen I would still like to upgrade the interior. Maybe a seat swap, double din mod, white face gauges, and led conversion. If anyone has any pictures or other suggestions it would be great.