DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 1ST Generation Dodge Ram 1993 & Older Dodge Ram Trucks > Suspension

Notices

Suspension 1st Gen Dodge Ram Suspension Problems and Questions

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-18-2014, 01:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1987 Dodge Ramcharger
Rep:10
dennisonwj1 is on a distinguished road
Default Hoisting and Leaf Springs

Hello Fellow Babies...
I have a 1987 Ramcharger 4x4. The front springs are completely toast. Ordered some Dayton 6 springs from JCW, they are showing up soon. I have some questions if y'all would be so kind.

- I have done a single leaf spring years ago on a car, never both fronts on a high truck such as this. Could you give me some pointers on how to do it on jack stands so I do not kill myself and more importantly, not hurt the Dodge?
- Where on the frame should I place my jack stands for this?
- Should I lift each corner and support it, do the swap, and then move to the other side and do the same, or should I lift the entire side of the truck and jack stand it, or should I lift the entire front and jack stand it, I do not have the ability to lift the ENTIRE vehicle for this, too small a shop?
- It seems like the U-Bolt plates are not flat because they have an anti-sway bar bolted through them, I was hoping to get NEW hardware for all the leaf spring components, the ones I cannot replace I will clean Rust Bullet and top coat. Anyone know where I can get new front suspension components without KILLING the bank?
- If someone has a procedure outside of the little bit I got from the FSM and the Haynes, I would love to see it.

- Will
Sponsored links
Old 05-25-2014, 07:26 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1987 Dodge Ram 150
Color: Blue
Engine: 1988-1991 318ci (5.2L) LA V8 140hp
biblereader is on a distinguished road

Did you get any response on this?
I have an '87 W150 that I have thought about changing front springs on. Actually did change the driver's side. Mine sits low on the driver's side for some reason - 1" less from top of wheel well opening to ground on driver's side than passenger side.
Old 05-27-2014, 01:04 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1987 Dodge Ramcharger
dennisonwj1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by biblereader View Post
Did you get any response on this?
I have an '87 W150 that I have thought about changing front springs on. Actually did change the driver's side. Mine sits low on the driver's side for some reason - 1" less from top of wheel well opening to ground on driver's side than passenger side.

Not many responses at all. I still have not had time to mess with it. I read that there was some type of problem with the truck that makes the driver side lower, I will google a bit for it. If you learn anything new, please post, I will as well. BTW, I bought 6 spring leaves instead of the stock 3 spring ones.