DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Heating & Cooling

Notices

Heating & Cooling 2nd Gen Dodge Ram Heating & Cooling Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-19-2014, 12:30 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST - Quad Cab - 4x2
Color: green
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:10
numb1zero is on a distinguished road
Question Leaking coolant (possibly from water pump? pics inside)

Hi, I'm new the the forums and new to RAM ownership as well. Recently bought a 2001 1500 5.2l for next to nothing and while I thought it seemed too cheap to be true, I inspected the engine carefully, no signs of leaks, compression in every cylinder, etc. It seemed mechanically sound. Bought it, drove it for a few weeks and began to notice a spot on the driveway under the truck (I have a company vehicle and a bike so I don't drive the truck all that often).
Looking closer, its a coolant leak...

Lucky it isn't an oil leak, still, its upsetting.
Anyway, the leak seems to be coming from the mating surface of the water pump and the engine block. What would you guys suggest I do first?

I'm thinking remove the water pump and check/replace the gasket. Should I go ahead and order a new water pump for good measure? ($40 on rock auto)
From the pictures, can anyone suggest another possible culprit location for the leak?

Any help is greatly appreciated! I work all afternoon so can't really get started until tomorrow morning but I'll be checking back here regularly.

Thanks!

Video:
http://youtu.be/b0koay7iUIg

Pictures:
http://imgur.com/a/q29Aq

Last edited by numb1zero; 04-19-2014 at 01:20 PM.
Sponsored links
Old 04-19-2014, 05:19 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2005 QC 4X4 HEMI RAM
Trim Level: Thunder Road
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:418
hydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nice

$40 it's a no brainer to replace. Look around the thermostat housing as well.
Inertia Spartan Plus cam, Circle D 3,000 rpm stall converter,Sonnax line pressure booster, Vararam, JBA's with cut outs, Borla duals, Rancho 9000's,3:92's, extra rear leaf. 200,000 miles To Hell and back. 14.2/96 mph NEDW
Old 04-20-2014, 04:33 AM
God Bless Texas!

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lonestar QC
Color: White
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:2929
RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

It's definitely coolant. Where it's coming from? A simple pressure test will let you know. But, since it is only $40, I think hydrex said it best. It's a no brainer. Good luck with the fix and keep us updated.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:53 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 2500
Trim Level: ST
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:11
Dtruck14 is on a distinguished road

I have done a couple of those myself. Pretty easy removal and install. Just make sure all your mating surfaces are nice and clean and flat before you put it back together. If you need any help, you know where to find us.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:59 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

thanks guys, probably gonna be tuesday before I can get to it, just driving the company vehicle for now. I'll let you know what I learn when I get into it. I'm going to drain the oil first to see if there's any coolant mixed in with the oil... dreading and procrastinating doing that for fear of bad news. If the oil is free of water/coolant, and all I need is a water pump (and might as well change the timing belt while I've got it off) then I'm happy. If the truck is going to need a new motor a month after I bought it, I'll be a little butthurt. Will update! thanks for all the help so far everyone!
Old 04-21-2014, 10:33 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Well, I drained the oil and its clean as can be- no milky residue at all- so I feel good about it just being the water pump/gasket.
I have the service manual pulled up but haven't looked into the procedure in detail yet.
  • Is the timing belt going to have to come off to pull the water pump or can I create enough slack to work around it?
  • If the belt needs to come off, should I consider replacing it while I've got it off? The truck does have 180k miles on the odo (belt looks alright but certainly not new)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrex View Post
$40 it's a no brainer to replace. Look around the thermostat housing as well.
I'm not sure where exactly the thermostat is on this engine, hate to show my ignorance but can anyone provide a picture or description?

Thanks for everything so far, what a helpful forum. I'm glad I picked this one

EDIT:
another quick question, could I consider taking a die grinder to the mating surface on the block to get it smooth for the new water pump? I wouldn't want bits of old gasket and dirt getting into places it shouldn't so I don't want to do that without getting a few opinions on the risk. Thanks!

Last edited by numb1zero; 04-21-2014 at 10:44 PM. Reason: adding another question
Old 04-22-2014, 11:39 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:190
Lazarus Truck has a spectacular aura aboutLazarus Truck has a spectacular aura about

I'm a tad concerned. There does seem to be some leaking from the water-outlets in the timing-cover-to-block seal. This is a popular leak spot. I just did this repair. I hope I am wrong. Please insure that you don't have this before you put it all back together. Continued leaks a this spot lead to erosion of the aluminum timing cover. If caught early, it can be fixed with some JB weld to repair the eroded parts of the sealing surface.

Last edited by Lazarus Truck; 04-22-2014 at 11:46 PM.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:43 PM
God Bless Texas!

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lonestar QC
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:2929
RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by numb1zero View Post
EDIT:
another quick question, could I consider taking a die grinder to the mating surface on the block to get it smooth for the new water pump? I wouldn't want bits of old gasket and dirt getting into places it shouldn't so I don't want to do that without getting a few opinions on the risk. Thanks!
Don't use a die grinder unless you have a hard rubber pad on it. Usually just some brake clean and a good scraper will take care of the old gasket.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:28 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus Truck View Post
I'm a tad concerned. There does seem to be some leaking from the water-outlets in the timing-cover-to-block seal. This is a popular leak spot. I just did this repair. I hope I am wrong. Please insure that you don't have this before you put it all back together. Continued leaks a this spot lead to erosion of the aluminum timing cover. If caught early, it can be fixed with some JB weld to repair the eroded parts of the sealing surface.

I may need more information on this...
I found what seemed to be the culprit, the thermostat/housing

I replaced the thermostat, thermostat housing, and both radiator hoses for good measure.

It doesn't leak coolant now unless its running, so that must've been part of the problem, but when the motor is running, coolant drips out as fast as it did before (see video).

I'm suspecting a cracked block at this point but if you think it could be saved with JB weld, I'm very interested in details.

Anything to keep me from having just wasted this money. I don't even have the truck registered yet :/
Old 04-26-2014, 05:26 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:190
Lazarus Truck has a spectacular aura aboutLazarus Truck has a spectacular aura about

Relax. Nobody said "cracked block" yet. The JB weld repair I mentioned was on the aluminum timing chain cover that serves as the water-pump base. You can see the area I'm referring to in photos 5 and 6. Clean and dry this area, then rent a radiator pressure tester from one of the auto stores. Pressurize your system to 16psi and inspect these areas closer for seepage or drips. Its alot easier doing it this way, than on a hot, running engine.