DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-29-2014, 09:51 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Hemi1500 is on a distinguished road
Default Truck shifting into 4WD by itself

So my new baby has a quirk... almost 39k on the clock and it seems the transfer case has a mind of its own. I've kept the selector knob in 2WD mode the entire time I've had it (4 days, LOL), but twice over the past 4 days it decided to randomly shift itself into 4WD AUTO. The first time was when it was chilly and damp first thing on Saturday morning, the second was on the way to work in heavy traffic on Monday. Turning the knob to 4WD AUTO and back to 2WD doesn't phase it.

I left it with the dealer to try and reproduce the issue. They said the StarScan didn't find any codes stored in the TIPM. Searching around I find several possible causes, ranging from loose TIPM connectors, to faulty AC pressure switch (mimics the 4WD signal and confuses the computer), chafed wiring, transfer case mode sensor/shift motor, etc. The tech said he thought it might be something intermittently shorting the 5v feed to the TC shift motor, but they're going to check it out more thoroughly today.

While I'm waiting, has anyone else here on the Z had this issue with an '11 or newer truck?

TIA,
~Dave
Sponsored links
Old 04-29-2014, 12:32 PM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:636
huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

haven't had this on my 11 sport.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:56 PM

Dealer had the truck since Monday, the 4WD Auto light never came on. I pick it up today, drive 23 miles to pick up my son from school, no light. I drive the 2 miles to the house, and the dang thing flashes "4WD AUTO" for a few seconds then stays off the rest of the way. Grrr!! I HATE stupid intermittent electrical issues like this, they can be next to impossible to diagnose!
Old 05-01-2014, 09:35 AM

So nobody else here has experienced this?

A Google search pulls up old posts from other forums, but most of them pertain to earlier generation Rams (ca. 2006) or are different problems (i.e. not staying IN 4wd mode). Since this is my first electronically-controlled 4wd vehicle, maybe I'm doing something wrong...

I started off to work this morning, in 2WD mode, and all was fine on the highway until traffic came to a stop. As we were creeping along, 4WD AUTO would act up every 30 seconds or so. It would either blink for a few seconds then go off, or it would light up solid for a few seconds then go off. I couldn't hear or feel anything happening, so either it's not noticeable inside the truck, or it's not actually engaging, I couldn't tell for sure.

Tested it in the lot at work and went through all the selector positions. The indicator acted exactly as it should, blinking while in transition then solid. All the way to 4WD LO and back, pausing for a couple minutes at each position while slowly rolling. I couldn't notice anything, but then again I'm inside the truck with rain pouring down loudly so I couldn't hear if anything was actually happening. How loud is the shift motor on these things?

Dealer said it was operating properly when they test drove it, whether that means 4wd was engaging/disengaging properly, or just "no 4WD light during 2wd mode," I don't know. No codes stored in the TIPM.

I'm probably going to need to take a ride with one of the techs until it acts up. But not until next week, as I need to haul stuff this weekend. This weirdness has me concerned, I hope it doesn't decide to go into 4WD LOCK while driving...
Old 05-01-2014, 11:30 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Trim Level: Sport
Color: Mineral Grey
TheRandomMany is on a distinguished road

I know this isn't helpful but I have a 2011 Sport and I have never had this problem.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:57 PM

Yeah, from my searches this appears to be very rare indeed. But to provide better data, I've been keeping track of the times this happens and created a spreadsheet to record the conditions at the time. In every occurrence, the following have been true:

*Cool weather with precipitation
*Climate control set in Heat/Defrost mix position (AC clutch cycling?)
*Engine warm
*Approximately 15 miles driven
*Vehicle speed less than 20mph
*Stop & go, or slowing down from cruising speed

The light has not been noticed as of yet unless all the above conditions are met, with the exception of the very first time it happened.
Old 05-03-2014, 04:49 PM

Default Dang...

...I guess I'm full of it, because it happened again today. Perfect weather, windows down, out and about for about an hour when I turned down Route 44, not a care in the world. Sauntered over some RR tracks, and then the dang light comes on. Blinks a few times off & on, then stays on solid for a good 3 miles. Daggit!

Got to my destination, did some shopping, hopped on Route 6 for the quick way home. Sign says "Headlights on for safety," so happily I oblige. Next thing I know, 4WD AUTO is lit up again, and stays on solid for about 5 miles before going off. What the heck?

The whole time I'm darned if I know whether the front axle is actually engaged or not. I don't feel anything, there's no noise, nothing noticeable at all.

I get home & park it in the garage and cycle through the modes. The indicator behaves as it should, but I can't tell whether the shift motor is doing anything. Maybe there is a barely audible whine for a second, but maybe it's my imagination. Is it supposed to be audible? What is it supposed to sound like?

I gotta get this fixed. If the indicator is right, and 4WD AUTO is engaged, my FE is going to suffer; if it's lying and 4WD AUTO is not engaged, then I won't have 4WD when I need it. Ah bugger, back to the dealer on Monday...

EDIT: Tested with ignition ON but engine OFF, with vehicle rolling forward, I can hear the servo engage when moving the selector. Wonder if the mode sensor is bad, or there's a short somewhere... Hate to start throwing parts at it without knowing exactly what's causing it.

Last edited by Hemi1500; 05-03-2014 at 08:54 PM.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:17 AM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:636
huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

i have no idea, but next time put the selector in 4 wheel auto and then turn it off, see what happens. if in 4wd auto and it is actually engaged, you will see a decrease in mpg.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:32 PM

Hi huntergreen,

I did just that yesterday when it acted up. The 4WD AUTO light came on, I turned the selector to 4WD AUTO, drove about 500 feet, turned it back to 2WD, but the light stayed on. Eventually it went off by itself.

I notice this thing has an electronic CAD motor on the front axle instead of the older vacuum motor. When switching to 4WD LOCK this should be engaging the axle. So when switching to 4WD LOCK, my guess is I should be hearing two motors engage, but I only hear one. Perhaps they're engaging simultaneously. I'll have to test this again and listen more closely.
Old 05-06-2014, 01:55 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Ram Diesel
Engine: 2011-2012 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
ncrefasi is on a distinguished road
Default shifting into 4 wheel drive by itself

I am having the same issue. They changed the module but that did not fix it. The only way I can tell it has happened is when the mileage drops significantly and when I make sharp turns it jumps cause of the 4 wheel drive grabbing. The light does NOT come on. Since I am mostly in 2wd mode I pulled the fuse for now until I can bring it back to the shop for testing. The dial seems to work fine but I can never tell when it shifts on its own.