DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-03-2014, 05:34 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:262
SteelTownStang is a jewel in the roughSteelTownStang is a jewel in the roughSteelTownStang is a jewel in the rough
Default aFe CAI SUCKS...

... a lot of air! I recently purchased an advance FLOW engineering (aFe) Cold Air Intake (CAI) for my ’14 Sport. I know that the OEM set-up is pretty efficient, and I wasn’t expecting any performance gains, but this system does yield some noticeable improvement in throttle response and low-end torque. The truck actually feels a little lighter. The most obvious difference with this kit as compared to the OEM CAI is the increased revving volume under the hood. While the exhaust note is only slightly throatier, the engine bay screams at WOT. The sound at Idle and normal acceleration is only marginally louder.

Decision: I had initially considered the S&B closed unit (P/N #75-5064), but was leaning towards an open filter design based upon past positive experiences with similar CAIs- specifically JLT, Airaid, and C&L. I ultimately found that aFe offered the best performance for the price. The decision was made even easier when I contacted S&B Support Representative, Karl Levy, who informed that their CAI will not properly fit the ’14 Ram due to the repositioned AC lines. He did, however, state that their design crew was working on a revision (P/N #75-5078) that is expected to be released sometime in June, 2014.

Performance: aFe claims 18 “max” hp and 23 tq that outflows the OEM set-up by 27%. As mentioned, I wasn’t really expecting any gains, especially without a tuner (next on the list), but even if I’m getting half of their published gains, then I’m satisfied. It’s definitely sucking more air!

Design: I’ve had good luck with the open-filter CAI on other vehicles, and actually prefer them regardless of whether they are not really a “cold air” intake as heated air is also collected from within the engine bay. Not sure why aFe went with the power-coated aluminum tube, as this material has a propensity to heat-soak more than plastic or carbon fiber, but 3.5” tube is well made and aesthetically pleasing. The heat shield, clamps, couplers, hardware, and filter (discussed next) are also of high quality.

Filter: It’s obvious that most of aFe’s R&D was focused on this feature. While I have never been too concerned about the possibility of oiled-type filters leaching goo into the TB/intake, I still prefer the oil-less filters. aFe offers a 5.5” oiled-type Pro 5R- blue media kit (P/N #54-12402) and the non-oiled type Pro DryS- gray media kit (P/N #51-12402), which I purchased. aFe claims that both filters have CMF flow rates of 250 as compared to the OEM’s rate of 196. I’m sure that there is some variance between the two, but this is what aFe is reporting. Also, both filter types can be cleaned and reused.

Installation: I installed the kit in about 25 minutes. Some have experienced issues connecting the heat shield to the OEM lower air box, but I was able to easily snap it into place. It goes on like a hinged lid. Angle the shield under/outside the air box toward the engine and lower it inside the inter channel/groove, and then clip it into position. The CAI tube adds additional support to secure the unit firmly in place. The supplied instructions are very good and there are also a few youtube videos that can help. I did notice one discrepancy in the instructions- maybe it’s only applicable for ‘14s, but the OEM temperature sensor should not be pulled from the OEM housing. You have to twist it a half turn and it comes right out. Don’t muscle it out, or you could damage it.

Negatives: While the aforementioned topics where positive, I’d be remised not to mention the CAI’s shortcomings. While they are few, the first is the 5/8” rubber crank case vent line/tubing. It’s definitely not as refined as its OEM counterpart, but functional… I hope. Most of the tubing it situated under the engine cover and kinking, or collapsing, may become an issue. The second concern is the retrofitted temperature sensor grommet. It simply doesn’t appear to be very secure. As with most aftermarket items that have to incorporate OEM parts for functionality, these types of issues exist and are common, particular with CAIs, i.e., MAF sensors, ventilation, etc. I will closely monitor both and update if necessary. Lastly, the heat shield was clearly not designed for the Ram Sport Performance Hood. I will elaborate further in another post below with pics.

Conclusion: I recommend this CAI for its overall quality and filtering properties. As already discussed, I did notice a slight gain in performance, particularly on the lower end, with a better throttle response and improved sound. I have not observed any change in mileage, albeit not a contributing factor when making the purchase. If you’re seeking quantifiable improvements, then invest in something other than a CAI. Could money be better spent elsewhere? Probably, but that can be said with most anything… So far so good- and with no CELs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1173.jpg (86.1 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1174.jpg (78.1 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1163.jpg (73.2 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1165.jpg (61.8 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1168.jpg (71.5 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1169.jpg (77.9 KB, 141 views)
MODS: Magnaflow Cat-Back Exhaust, aFe Stage II CAI, Extang Solid-Fold Tonneau, Mopar Side Steps, Mopar Mats & Bedliner, AMP Bed XTender, Daystar 2.5 Leveling Kit, Fuel Pump Black Wheels (20x9/+1 Offset), Toyo Open Country Extreme A/T Tires (35/12.50/20), Aries Stealth Bull Bar, & KC SlimLites.
Sponsored links
Old 05-03-2014, 06:04 PM

SteelTownStang is a jewel in the roughSteelTownStang is a jewel in the roughSteelTownStang is a jewel in the rough

As mentioned above, the aFe heat shield was definitely not designed for the Ram Sport Performance Hood (SPH). While the SPH is a little higher than the RAM's basic hood, the hood blanket/insulation is suppose to provide the same profile. Either this is not the case, or aFe's heat shield is in need of a design change.

I used a digital camera with a 10 second timer. I placed it at various positions throughout the engine bay and completely closed to hood. As you can see, the heat shield does not follow the contours of the hood blanket and there are large gaps of various widths up to an estimated 2".

While disappointed, I'm not too concerned as I already knew that heated air was going to inevitably entered the intake as it is not a closed unit. I've performed this task on other set-ups, and while the gaps were not as pronounced, they were still there on every CAI that I've tested. Heat "shield"... no, maybe a heat screen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1186.jpg (55.6 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1188.jpg (72.7 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1189.jpg (57.7 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1191.jpg (48.8 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1193.jpg (66.9 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1194.jpg (70.1 KB, 92 views)
MODS: Magnaflow Cat-Back Exhaust, aFe Stage II CAI, Extang Solid-Fold Tonneau, Mopar Side Steps, Mopar Mats & Bedliner, AMP Bed XTender, Daystar 2.5 Leveling Kit, Fuel Pump Black Wheels (20x9/+1 Offset), Toyo Open Country Extreme A/T Tires (35/12.50/20), Aries Stealth Bull Bar, & KC SlimLites.
Old 05-04-2014, 03:13 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 dodge ram sport
Trim Level: 1500
Color: deep water blue
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
mahman8888 is on a distinguished road

i went with the k &n and wowsa i don't regret it at all!!! even when the variable cam timing kicks it its even louder!!! doesn't take much to reach the governor which can be annoying at time!!!
Old 05-04-2014, 04:17 AM

Vehicle: 2013 DODGE RAM 1500
Trim Level: Express
Color: SILVER
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:20
HammerHead is on a distinguished road

Me too, very happy with K&N. got more than expected.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:52 AM

Yeah, I briefly looked at their 63 Series, which cost as much as the aFe, but preferred the oil-less filter. Their Blackhawks non-oiled CAI looks good, but cost more and rated low on performance as compared to the aFe. I don't have a lot of experience with K&N, except for their drop in filters on some earlier cars and they seemed to perform well...
Old 05-12-2014, 04:59 PM

Vehicle: 2013 ram crew cab Sport 4x4
Trim Level: Sport/laramie
Color: Black beauty
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:43
RAMinator13 is on a distinguished road

I can't make up my mind between this one and the air raid
2013 RAM CC Sport 4x4 - 6spd 3.55 Anti-spin diff. MODS: 35x12.5r20 Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ - Rough Country Level 2.5 front & 1.5 rear - Airaid MXP Cold Air - Magnaflow Magnapack 4x14 & Magnaflow True Flow Y pipe mod- 20x9 Ballistic Razorbacks
Old 05-12-2014, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMinator13 View Post
I can't make up my mind between this one and the air raid
Can't go wrong with either one IMO...
Old 05-14-2014, 06:39 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Quad Cab
Trim Level: Express
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
HEMI71 is on a distinguished road

I have the Aird. Love it, seemed to wake the ponies up even more!
Old 05-14-2014, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMI71 View Post
I have the Aird. Love it, seemed to wake the ponies up even more!
awesome... did you get the oiled or dry filter? On the website it shows the oiled filter flowing 200 more cfm... does it scream under the hood also?
2013 RAM CC Sport 4x4 - 6spd 3.55 Anti-spin diff. MODS: 35x12.5r20 Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ - Rough Country Level 2.5 front & 1.5 rear - Airaid MXP Cold Air - Magnaflow Magnapack 4x14 & Magnaflow True Flow Y pipe mod- 20x9 Ballistic Razorbacks
Old 05-17-2014, 09:00 AM

Still liken the afe?