DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Drag Racing Discussion > Nitrous Discussion
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Nitrous Discussion Questions and Answers regarding adding Nitrous Oxide to your Dodge Ram.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-05-2014, 09:08 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram R/T
Trim Level: R/T
Color: True Blue
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:10
FMJJ03 is on a distinguished road
Default Bottle Placement

Hey guys I have a quick question for you all running n2o about tank placement. I know it is best to have the tank facing forward and angled up but I have seen several that are placed differently and work fine.

My question is, I plan on running nothing more than a 100 shot so I wont be pulling any crazy G's, would it be safe to have the tank behind the seat in my regular cab R/T not facing forward?

I have a good friend that runs a 150 shot with the tank behind his seat like I want but I know that's not ideal. I just want to know if there are any safety concerns I should be aware of if I were to set up like this.

Thanks for any input in advance. Still doing all of my due diligence in preparing for spray and learning what I can.

2013 Ram R/T
2/4 Belltech, Vararam, DS T-1000, Borla Pro-XS, MF Y-pipe, ARH 1-3/4"
Sponsored links
Old 05-05-2014, 09:29 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3277
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

If you're running it at the track then it HAS to be vented to the outside of the vehicle, hell, even if you're not at the track you should have it vented to the outside. Automotive grade nitrous has 100-200ppm/wt of sulphur dioxide in it, extremely irritating to the eyes and throat and considering that the OH&S allowable limits are 2ppm and .5ppm should tell you something. The long and short is, as long as it's vented outside you'll be fine but the safest place to mount it is in the bed.

Now, for orientation, because it's liquid in the cylinder, any amount of force will cause it to slosh around. If you want an example, just put a half full water bottle on the seat and see what it does. This will happen in your cylinder, so if it's going to be located axially behind the seat then you want to make sure the cylinder is mounted with the pick-up tube pointed down and to the rear of the vehicle. The last thing you want to do is to have the pick up tube come out of the liquid under acceleration.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:10 PM

Thanks for the info cdnoilRAM. I'm guessing there an elementary way of knowing where the pick up tube is inside the cylinder? I would definitely have it vented to the outside without question, I just want to make certain that the cylinder will be safe place perpendicular to vehicle direction.

If I understand correctly I think I'm good to go with the tank there as long as my pick-up is placed correctly.

As soon as I get my intake, headers, muffler, y pipe, DS t1000 all installed (ordered today)and settled the spray will be next. I'm sure I'll have more questions as I go along. Right now leaning on the NX plate system.

2013 Ram R/T
Old 05-06-2014, 12:13 AM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3277
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

The pickup tube is always inline with the -4an fitting and bent towards the outside edge of the tank. So if you're looking directly at the main outlet of the cylinder the tube is facing and bent towards you.
Old 05-06-2014, 11:35 AM

Awesome info. That may be common knowledge but not to some one with 0 n2o experience. Thank you very much. I'm sure I'll have more questions as I go.

2013 Ram R/T
Old 05-07-2014, 10:52 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram R/T
Color: Grey
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
GarBeer is on a distinguished road

keep us updated on your install, I also have a 2013 RT that I have been thinking about adding nitrous to.

What kit are you looking at getting? Nevermind, just read your previous post, NX plate system
Old 05-07-2014, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarBeer View Post
keep us updated on your install, I also have a 2013 RT that I have been thinking about adding nitrous to.

What kit are you looking at getting? Nevermind, just read your previous post, NX plate system
I will update this thread some but mainly my build thread so you can catch all of it there.. Fingers crossed!!

2013 Ram R/T