DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Drag Racing Discussion

Notices

Drag Racing Discussion Post your questions and info about how to best get these beasts down the 1320!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-22-2014, 09:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram
Trim Level: Express
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Rygi is on a distinguished road
Default Ram's 1st trip to track tomorrow. Advice anyone?

First time down the 1/4 mile in a truck tomorrow night and thought I'd post a question or two to help me make the best passes I can. I've heard theories and opinions about leaving the tailgate down but I'd like to know if it actually makes any real world difference in performance due to less aerodynamic drag. I'm used to leaving on a clutch at 5k so any advice on launching would be great. From what I've read so far the best thing is to only get on the converter only a little so the torque management doesn't kick in. Tow/haul mode....use it or not? I like the way the 3rd gear seems to keep the motor in the powerband but need to be assured it's safe to use it under full load. I would think so as towing/hauling commands more durability than normal driving. How about airing up the front tires? Helped a little in my Mustangs but wasn't sure it's a good idea for more weight over 20" wheels. Anything else you guys think I need to do please let a brother know. My Ram is a Express QC 4WD hemi, 6 speed, 3.92 gears, air suspension. Only thing not factory is a K&N filter. Cherry bomb vortex muffler is going on Saturday. I'm going for a 14.999 lol. Wish me luck. Sorry for the chapter long post.

Last edited by Rygi; 05-22-2014 at 09:15 PM.
Sponsored links
Old 05-22-2014, 10:12 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3269
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Best advice: Don't crash

My tips are:

Keep stock pressure in the front tires, lower the pressure a bit in the rear, lowest on stock tires should be 26psi.

Tail gate up or down has never made a difference for me with the quad cab but some of the regular cab guys swear by it.

Tow/haul worked on the 3rd gens but I haven't found it does as much in the 4th gens except hold the shift longer which isn't a bad thing.

Don't load up the converter, the traction control is a bitch in these trucks now and will pull loads of timing, just leave from a dead pedal.

Also, realistically expect mid 15s with a QC 4wd, anything less and you can be happy.
Old 06-01-2014, 02:36 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 RCSB
Color: Red
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:69
USAF Long will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to USAF Long

Tailgate up or down won't make any difference in a 1/4 mile. What helps is to remove the tailgate. I take my tailgate off and drop my spare tire when I go racing. I leave them in my garage at home. Takes 5 mins and saves a bunch of weight.

I turn traction control off, tow haul on, put it in 1. Leave on the last yellow and just floor the truck. I don't stall it up as it doesn't seem to help at all. I have 3.55 gears and usually cross in 3rd gear. 3rd is a short gear since it's not much lower than 2nds gearing but it helps keep it in the power band for a that little bit. 4th gear drops too low. Your 3.92's will help but you have a heavier truck with the extra doors and 4x4 axle and transfer case.