DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 4.7-liter V8 engine - 310 horsepower, 330 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-25-2014, 03:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: TRX
Color: Inferno Red Crystal
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:10
UnleashedBeast is on a distinguished road
Default New Dodge owner - Point me in the right direction

Hello all,

I recently purchased a 2009 Ram 1500 TRX 2WD Crew Cab from my father. Currently, with 105,000 miles on the odometer.....it's well maintained. He's always taken this vehicle to the dealer for servicing. When I changed the fluids over to Amsoil, everything was clean for the 2,500 hours on this engine. I'd like to add more under the curve torque, better throttle response, and better shift points to the automatic transmission. Not to mention, hopefully more efficiency on the hwy (mpg). With that being said, I need guidance on this, as I know little about the aftermarket offerings for Ram trucks.

If you want to talk about 2005-2014 Mustangs, I can tell you anything you want to know, as I have owned 3 of those. 2008 GT, 2009 GT500 (700 RWHP), and currently a 2014 Mustang (garage queen).

*if any mod listed below will not help power or efficiency significantly, I'm not interested in upgrading. Example, on the 2011+ Mustang GT 5.0 engine, a cold air intake investment is a waste. You might not gain anything, even after custom tuning. The factory air box is well engineered.*

Here is the criteria I'm looking to improve on the used Ram.

Air intake - Currently using the stock air box, tubing, and air silencer setup with an aftermarket Amsoil EA air filter. I like the looks of the Airaid setup for this engine, but not sure it will make a noticeable difference (with custom tuning - more on that later).

Tuning - Sure, I could easily go with a canned tune from Superchips, or another company, but that's not going to satisfy me. I want to know who you guys use that can do email tuning, and possibly datalogging submissions to dial in the tune perfectly. I'd use nothing more than 93 octane. Who is the top guy? In Mustang land, we have three choices....Jon Lund, Shaun @ AED, and Rev Automotive. Need advice for the Ram.

Exhaust - Again, this isn't about sound.....I really don't care if it's stock quiet, as this is my daily driver. However, I do care about power under the curve and engine efficiency. What do you guys run? I do not want ear ringing loud. A deep subtle tone would suit me just fine. Power under the curve and "mpg" is far more important to me. I would even consider header swaps, cat deletes, or high flow cats.

Those are the major areas for improvement on this truck. Throttle response currently sucks, and I feel like the truck is underpowered. Hope you guys can help. I do not want to waste money on something that sounds good, but does nothing for power and efficiency.

Last comment, Google isn't great searching these topics. Guess you guys don't get as hard core as we do in Mustang world.
Sponsored links
Old 05-25-2014, 05:12 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2005 QC 4X4 HEMI RAM
Trim Level: Thunder Road
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:418
hydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nice

I would talk to Sean Powell (hemifever) My dyno guy uses Sean and I have a Diablo Predator on my hemi. I would get some test kits from Blackstone Labs to sample oil as a way to know what's going on inside the motor. I would suspect cam shafts are available for the 4.7. Just be realistic, big heavy truck with small motor. Pretty sure a Procharger would awaken her. As far as hardcore, guess you haven't met too many hemi or Cummins guys yet, hehe.
Inertia Spartan Plus cam, Circle D 3,000 rpm stall converter,Sonnax line pressure booster, Vararam, JBA's with cut outs, Borla duals, Rancho 9000's,3:92's, extra rear leaf. 200,000 miles To Hell and back. 14.2/96 mph NEDW

Last edited by hydrex; 05-25-2014 at 05:16 PM.