DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Heating & Cooling

Notices

Heating & Cooling 3rd Gen Dodge Ram Heating & Cooling Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-26-2014, 02:24 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Atlantic Blue
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
thrifty is on a distinguished road
Default AC relay?

have an 06 Ram single cab with the 5.7 119,00 miles. Has been a great truck. I was traveling on the road and the rpms were raising and lowering about 500 then the red light came on. So I stopped at a towing company off the interstate and had a guy put a scanner on it to see what codes it was throwing. He said the # 8 injector needed cleaning. I put some Lucas cleaner in it and it did improve it. He cleared the codes. Said there were other codes but he did not know what they were. So I got back on the freeway and the AC was not working. The vent was blowing air but no AC. about 2 hours later it started working again. blowing cold. Then it quit working again and never came back on. The compressor is not kicking on and off like it usually does. There are no signs of oil, leaks or Freon that has leaked out. My friend can pull the codes when I go back on Thursday and see what the codes were. Is there a relay that has blown? I have looked in the fuse block and found nothing. Auto Zone sells a relay, just can't find it. Sure would be nice to have AC before I make that 10 hour drive.
Thanks
Sponsored links
Old 05-26-2014, 02:44 AM
God Bless Texas!

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lonestar QC
Color: White
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:2929
RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

Could be the relay, Jeff, but you've got to rule out a bunch of other stuff, too. Did it lose freon? Is there a sensor that the computer is seeing preventing it from coming on? Did the compressor go boom? Start with the relay and/or fuse, because it is the simplest thing to check. Then move on to bigger, more serious causes. Your relay should be in the TIPM under the hood.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:12 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Last Sunday I spent over an hour at the Auto Zone looking at the Chiltons manual (small one) with limited info. Had the counter guy go out to the truck and try and locate the fuse and or Relay. I have no clue of the location or area the relay is. My fuse box has no TIPM listed. Any one have any pics? Is there something behind the Ac switch?
Old 05-28-2014, 10:32 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: Patriot blue
4.7 Magnum Motorhead is on a distinguished road

I had a minor problem with my compressor once, it was engaging and disengaging every three seconds. The cause of that was my condenser fan not kicking in. Diagnosis, a blown fuse to the condenser fan. Now you're saying your compressor doesn't turn on at all? Does the little yellow/orange/green light turn on when you press the AC button? If your compressor had an issue then it could be a fuse/relay, or something with the AC button inside, or your electromagnet isn't functioning correctly, due to wiring maybe. Let us know exactly what you're experiencing. Meanwhile I'll research the wiring diagram to the compressor n see if I can locate the fuse/relay.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:17 PM
God Bless Texas!

RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty View Post
Last Sunday I spent over an hour at the Auto Zone looking at the Chiltons manual (small one) with limited info. Had the counter guy go out to the truck and try and locate the fuse and or Relay. I have no clue of the location or area the relay is. My fuse box has no TIPM listed. Any one have any pics? Is there something behind the Ac switch?
TIPM - Totally Integrated Power Module, is your fuse box. Should be located on the right hand side (facing the engine compartment). On the inside of the lid, it should have what all the fuses and relays should be for.
Old 05-28-2014, 11:14 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

The compressor is not cycling like it normally does. The compressor, lines, evaporator, condenser all show no signs of a leak or oil residue. Yes the light still lights up and comes on. The air blowing is the vent air. No cool air. The reason I think it is a fuse or relay it worked fine until red the lightning bolt came on, the truck RPM was idling high and low. Once the codes were cleared, the truck ran good but no AC for 2 hrs. then it came back on. Next day it never ran cold again. The only fuse that I see in the fuse block is hvac? Are there any relays behind the TIPM or all they just bulkhead connections? Sorry I am old school so the technology and new names like TIPM just go over my head. Guess I will go check on it after the sun goes down. Sure was hot at work today
Old 05-28-2014, 11:21 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

It's not the only fuse there, it is the only one that seems logical HVAC
BTW I really appreciate every ones time and effort to help me
Old 05-29-2014, 12:52 AM
God Bless Texas!

Something has told the computer to not run the A/C. Try an old school trick and pull the positive and negative terminals from the battery. Wait a minute, touch the leads together to drain off any residual electrons, then reconnect the terminals to the battery. This basically resets the computer and it has to relearn everything.

Keep us posted on the outcome and try to stay cool out there in the western Vegas desert.
Old 05-31-2014, 07:27 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2003 Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT QC 4x4
Color: Mineral grey
Engine: 2002-2003 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp 335lb/ft
Rep:109
Simple guy will become famous soon enoughSimple guy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRamJet View Post
Something has told the computer to not run the A/C. Try an old school trick and pull the positive and negative terminals from the battery. Wait a minute, touch the leads together to drain off any residual electrons, then reconnect the terminals to the battery. This basically resets the computer and it has to relearn everything.

Keep us posted on the outcome and try to stay cool out there in the western Vegas desert.
I never liked the whole "touch the leads together" to drain residual voltage. it just always seemed sketchy to me. You can accomplish the same thing by just flashing the high beams or even just opening the door.

I think the refrigerant pressures are not correct. you say one day it works another it doesn't sounds to me like the characteristic of refrigerants reacting to ambient temps.
Old 06-02-2014, 01:50 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Well here is an update and I have not confirmed what I think it is. The Freon is still in the system and never lost any. Looked every where for the AC relay. Could not find it. It shows that it possible it goes to the TIPM. Sure wish I had bought a shop manual (not Chilton) Any way as I was traveling home on the road with no AC it came on again for about 2 hrs. Then I lost it again. But my on board computer was also telling me I was getting 9 miles to the gallon. I would go up a hill and the mileage would get better. Go down a hill and get worse. I would reset the mpg. and would go where it was suppose to but eventually go back to acting weird. We put a carbon pile on the battery and alternator to see if they were helping the system spike. Everything was ok. So I went on u tube because there rep from Doorman products and he said the TIPM has a recall (Dodge). He also talked about making the system spike. I have owned my truck with 7 thousand miles and never got anything in the mail, Anybody else? The TIPM has circuit boards behind the fuses. Have to go to Idaho Monday and still no Ac. Going to check into this further and will let u know