DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Electrical

Notices

Electrical 4th Gen Dodge Ram Electrical Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-26-2014, 09:33 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 CNG BiFuel
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:10
ryanhoelzer is on a distinguished road
Default Adding UConnect steering wheel buttons and radio buttons

There are alot of threads about this around but I did it today and wanted to post a step by step with some pictures.

You'll need a T10, T20, phillips screwdriver, 13mm socket and ratchet, and something to pry the airbag clips.

I found this guide on removing the airbag in another thread.

WARNING: To avoid serious or fatal injury on vehicles equipped with airbags, disable the Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) before attempting any steering wheel, steering column, airbag, seat belt tensioner, impact sensor, or instrument panel component diagnosis or service. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative (ground) cable, then wait two minutes for the system capacitor to discharge before performing further diagnosis or service. This is the only sure way to disable the SRS. Failure to take the proper precautions could result in accidental airbag deployment.
WARNING: To avoid serious or fatal injury when removing a deployed airbag, rubber gloves, eye protection, and a long-sleeved shirt should be worn. There may be deposits on the airbag cushion and other interior surfaces. In large doses, these deposits may cause irritation to the skin and eyes.

NOTE: The following procedure is for replacement of an ineffective or damaged driver airbag. If the airbag is ineffective or damaged, but not deployed, review the recommended procedures for handling non-deployed supplemental restraints. If the driver airbag has been deployed, review the recommended procedures for service after a supplemental restraint deployment before removing the airbag from the vehicle.

1.Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable. Wait two minutes for the system capacitor to discharge before further service.
2.Remove the upper shroud from thesteering column.
3.Release the steering column tilt lever and lower the column to its most downward position for easiest driver airbag removal access.
NOTE: It may be helpful to use a small mirror to aid visibility during the initial attempt to remove the driver airbag from thesteering wheel.
4.There are three airbag retainer access holes (1) on the instrument panel side of the hub of the steering wheel (2), located at the two o'clock, six o'clock and ten o'clock positions. The steering wheel must be rotated to bring each of these access holes up to the twelve o'clock position of the steering column one at a time for removal access.

5.Insert the short blade (Tip A) of the Driver Airbag Removal Tool (Special Tool #10187) (1) or the blade of an equivalent prying tool into either of the upper (two o'clock or ten o'clock) access holes (3) of the steering wheel hub rear trim cover (2), being certain to place the blade of the tool on the inboard (steering wheel hub) side of the airbag snap retainer wire loop.

6.Push the handle of the tool downward for the blade to pry the snap retainer wire loop (3) upward far enough to disengage the loop from the hook of the steeringwheel armature. At the same time, gently pull the driver airbag (1) away from the steering wheel (2) to prevent the retainer from snapping back into place over the hook once it is disengaged.
7.Repeat Steps 5 and 6 at the other upper (two o'clock or ten o'clock) access hole to disengage the other upper snap retainer wire loop.
8.Repeat Steps 5 and 6 at the lower (six o'clock) access hole to disengage the lower snap retainer wire loop. The lower snap retainer wire loop has a distinctive V-shape and must always be installed onto the six o'clock hook of the steering wheel armature.

9.Pull the driver airbag (1) away from the steering wheel far enough to access the electrical connections (3) on the back of the airbag housing.
CAUTION: Do not pull on the clockspring pigtail wires or pry on the connector insulator to disengage the connector from the driver airbag inflator connector receptacle. Improper removal of these pigtail wires and their connector insulators can result in damage to the airbag circuits or connector insulators.

10.The clockspring driver airbag pigtail wire connector insulators (1) are secured by integral latches (2) to the airbag inflator connector receptacles, which are located on the back of the driver airbag housing. Pinch both latches firmly, then pull the insulators straight out from the airbag inflator to disconnect them from the connector receptacles.
11.Remove the driver airbag from the steering wheel.
12.If the driver airbag has been deployed, the clockspring must be replaced and the steering column must be inspected.

The tricky part was figuring out how the clips work.

They basically just pry off of the black piece they're going over. here is a view from the back and a view of the black piece with the airbag off.

After getting the airbag off, you need a 13mm socket to take the steering wheel bolt out. I was able to wiggle the wheel and get it off without a wheel puller. make sure to use a sharpie and make some marks to line it up to put it back on.

Replacing the back cover and adding the switches is pretty straight forward. Here are the parts I ordered.

Left radio switch-56046099AD

Right radio switch-56046098AD

UConnect switch-56046097AD

Replacement wiring harness-68163713AB

Back cover with holes for radio switches-1YH75DX9AC This part # is black

Just replace the parts and reassemble. As expected the UConnect buttons work but the radio buttons won't until I get them programmed. I have a dealer trying to figure out if he can add them, if not I'll try having Brad on justanswer.com add them, then get it programmed locally.

http://www.justanswer.com/dodge/8fav...m-express.html

Let me know if I left anything out or if there's anything that isn't clear. I may make some edits as I think of things..

Last edited by ryanhoelzer; 05-27-2014 at 12:25 AM.
Sponsored links
Old 05-26-2014, 11:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2013
Color: silver
Rep:30
Jabalone is on a distinguished road

That's awesome. I've read a lot of threads about people wanting to add steering wheels controls and the various options, and posted a few questions myself, but you're the first guy I've seen to actually add it like factory (except for one guy who replaced the steering wheel entirely). That's nice work.

I wish I could do the same. That's one feature I regret not getting. I'm kinda nervous about messing with airbags without experience though, and all that stuff in the justanswer thread about flashing the RDZ code. It's not easy, especially finding people who know what they're talking about and doing, even at the dealerships. Props to you for getting it done.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:15 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram
Trim Level: Express
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:163
bendodge has a spectacular aura aboutbendodge has a spectacular aura about

It works, a dealer in Alabama is actually the person that was able to give Brad the instructions on how to add the code. I found this info while searching the web and forwarded it to Brad, he then contacted the dealer in Alabama and successfully added the code to my truck. I wish I had asked how he did it but it had already cost me $28.00 and did not want to spend any more for additional info.The code then was in the list of available codes when the dealer programed my truck. It shows up as RDZA in the list of codes my truck has now.I do have the # for the service manager that instructed Brad on how it was done, PM me if you want the number.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:57 AM

I'm working with Brad to just have him add it. I've tried a couple local dealers and they won't even let you tell them how to do it..
Old 05-27-2014, 11:43 AM

Now Brad is telling me that he can't add it but I can have the dealer contact the "WIC, Warranty Information Center" and they can add it. Taking it to a local dealer tomorrow to see if they can figure it out..

Hopefully we'll find out that knowing to contact WIC is the key...
Old 05-28-2014, 10:16 PM

They work..

I emailed the tech in Alabama yesterday afternoon offering to pay him to add it ahead of time. He replied this morning and did it for no charge. I don't want to throw his contact info out there but if someone needs it PM me.

I took it to the dealer this morning and they called me saying that they started working when they cleared some codes. I thought maybe adding it on the backside had done it and when they cleared the codes it updated. Turns out they were talking about the UConnect buttons (which already worked), not the volume/tuning buttons. Then they fixed it while I was waiting, took 10 minutes...

Here are the instructions I got from Brad and should work if the dealership knows what they're doing.

Tell the service manager to go to dealerconnect, service, Warranty Information Center, and send them a message to add it to your VIN.. Then once it's added the tech will need to reconfigure the TIPM with the WiTech and you should be good to go.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:16 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: ST
Color: White
Snafoo is on a distinguished road

Hey Ryan, can tell me what dealer you took your truck to?
Do they understand the process and willing to do it?

Looking for a service department willing to help.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:16 PM

I took it to Love Field. They were relatively willing but somewhat clueless too. the biggest possible issue was they wanted me to bring the truck in without making the code available first. If I hadn't gotten the dealer in Alabama to do it for me I would probably have had to make 2 trips. I'll PM you about the other dealer.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:18 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
getupkid is on a distinguished road

This is great! Purchased parts today
Old 10-25-2014, 11:24 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram 1500 Express
Trim Level: Express
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
MSgt0313 is on a distinguished road

Thanks to everyone for posting this information. I added the steering wheel controls along with the EVIC switch. At night the interior control are blue, however the EVIC switch is green, any ideas?