DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2014 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2014 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2014 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-27-2014, 01:23 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Silver
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:10
JRWFarm is on a distinguished road
Default Ecodiesel: Always a catch

I've been enamored with the idea of buying a new Ram EcoDiesel but I have a practical nature so I've been looking at everything I can in making my decision. Comparing it to my current gas powered half-ton mpg and the price increase in buying diesel, I can still see it as an economical choice. Now I've found out that the oil filter is nearly $50 and it takes almost 3 gallons of special oil which will run $100. So an oil change is $150 if you do it yourself. That stinks! And there's the DEF fluid to buy. What do you guys think?

I also read a discussion on another forum concerning the auto transfer cases. Seems they have to have significant wheel slip in the rear in order for the front to start helping. Not a true lock up feature in the auto transfer case which would be in the Laramie trim I want. Not good.
Sponsored links
Old 05-27-2014, 02:53 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2608
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I will be buying a 2015 eco diesel, it should arrive among the first deliveries in late December or early January

DEF is less then 1/2 price at truck stops, they have it at the pumps

My HEMI gets at the most 17.4 mpg highway
Eco Diesels get 25 + mpg highway

The standard engine oil cooler, when the EcoDiesel is used with 5W30 synthetic oil, contributes to a 10,000-mile oil change interval.

MOPAR oil filter cartridges can be bought for $50
MOPAR RAM 1500 ECODIESEL OIL FILTER CARTRIDGE ('14, 3.0L)
Item: LF68229402 Price: $49.95
guess i won't be buying the MOPAR brand cartridge

check out the RAM 1500 DIESEL site
they seem to have the best info on the 3.0l

diesel tank caps are now available
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cover-for-Fu....l4276&afsrc=1

also at
TurnerCNC@Hotmail.com.

maybe work out a group purchase, 4 to a box, mentioned at the site in BOLD text above
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle

Last edited by GTyankee; 05-27-2014 at 03:07 AM.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:51 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Ram !500
Trim Level: Express
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Kingface is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWFarm View Post
I've been enamored with the idea of buying a new Ram EcoDiesel but I have a practical nature so I've been looking at everything I can in making my decision. Comparing it to my current gas powered half-ton mpg and the price increase in buying diesel, I can still see it as an economical choice. Now I've found out that the oil filter is nearly $50 and it takes almost 3 gallons of special oil which will run $100. So an oil change is $150 if you do it yourself. That stinks! And there's the DEF fluid to buy. What do you guys think?

I also read a discussion on another forum concerning the auto transfer cases. Seems they have to have significant wheel slip in the rear in order for the front to start helping. Not a true lock up feature in the auto transfer case which would be in the Laramie trim I want. Not good.
I agree with you 100%. I was VERY close to ordering the EcoDiesel but when I looked at the ACTUAL costs I would not recoup that money for SEVERAL years. Where I live diesel is about .25$ more a gallon, plus the upcharge for the motor itself, plus the DEF and more expensive oil changes.....it just was way too much of a hit at first to see benefits in price 6 years later. I decided to go with an Express package that I had 'done up' like a Sport model. I'm averaging 19.5 MPG with my Hemi 8 speed, 3.92 axle. I do a lot of back road driving...not a ton of city driving so it just made sense.....best decision ever. Remember, the best way to get high MPG is controlling your right foot. Unless you are driving mainly stop and go city traffic and towing a lot or having a heavy payload....there is ZERO reason why an 8 speed hemi should get you under 16 MPG. I find it hard to believe that people are getting such lousy gas mileage with these engines, it's purely style of driving.
Old 05-28-2014, 01:04 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn
Color: Deep Cherry Red
Rep:16
Big Tool is on a distinguished road

I think it makes a lot more sense if you live out west... I recently drove from San Francisco to Whistler BC and Diesel was about the same price as regular out there. Back east it's more than premium so it doesn't make as much sense...
Old 05-28-2014, 05:19 AM

Vehicle: 2013 RAM 1500 Laramie
Color: Cherry Red
Rep:465
Monster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWFarm View Post
I have the Laramie with the auto transfer case and the amount of time it took for the auto-lock to work was in the milliseconds, in other words, almost transparent to me.

I don't know what you read but there was discussion here over this past winter and I do not recall anyone having auto transfer issues.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:28 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Flame Red
Frank ZZR is on a distinguished road

Here in Alberta diesel is about 15-20 cents more per litre. That's just under a a dollar per gallon. Unless you really want or need a diesel, it makes no financial sense in my opinion. It would take many, many miles before the payoff is realized.

Last edited by Frank ZZR; 05-28-2014 at 07:38 AM.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:33 AM

Vehicle: 1997 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:12
tweener439 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tool View Post
I think it makes a lot more sense if you live out west... I recently drove from San Francisco to Whistler BC and Diesel was about the same price as regular out there. Back east it's more than premium so it doesn't make as much sense...
Diesel is currently .36 more than regular gas. I figured if I drive 12k per year, it would take 4 years to break even. Then there's the chance of not getting all the same rebates as a gas truck. If you miss out on 2k in rebates, the payback jumps to 7 years. I also don't put a ton of miles on my own pickup since I have a work provided vehicle and 12k a year would be a reach for me.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:47 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Laramie 5.7 Hemi Crew
Color: Silver
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
twooldfarmers is on a distinguished road

I did an ' all things considered ' cost analysis and came up with a break even point well north of 5 years on the Ecodiesel so went with the 5.7

resale should be better on the diesel but that remains to be seen so I decided to keep my $4500 and do something else with it
Old 05-28-2014, 10:08 AM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:621
huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

diesel prices are seasonal, the price goes up quite a bit in the winter as demand rises along with with heating fuel.
Old 05-28-2014, 11:29 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Color: Dark Red
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:16
RangerGress is on a distinguished road

I bought an ecodiesel a month ago. It's terrific.

Re. diesel prices. You have to get used to shopping a little harder. Diesel prices vary more than gas prices. Within easy range of my commute to work diesel is available from $3.73 to $4.15. The range of gas prices in the area is half that or a bit less.

Also, it's not necessarily reasonable to compare diesel prices exclusively to low octane gas. A lot of V8 guys towed with their truck or pushed the engine kind of hard and therefore used mid-grade gas. Or they had a tune on their truck that called for mid-grade. I can easily find diesel in my area for the same cost as mid-grade gas.

Re. mpg. It's amazing. Especially if you tow, because diesel engines handle larger loads so efficiently. I tow a 7400lb 24' enclosed trailer on a long roadtrip once/mo. I get 14 with the ecodiesel. With a modern gas V8, I'd get 8mpg. 9 with Ford's Ecoboost. On a 800mi road trip, the savings in fuel cost is enormous. My work commute is 12mi. about 2/3rds hwy so the truck barely has time to warm up. If I go easy on it I can get 28mpg on the work commute. Unbelievable.

Re. DEF. At Walmart or a truck stop it runs $2.50/gal. If it was any cheaper it'd be free. A complete non-issue.

Re. Expensive oil. The truth on that is still evolving. The really smart oil guys hang out at www.BobIsTheOilGuy.com (bitog). There's numerous ecodiesel discussions going on, complete with oil analysis and tribologists (oil engineers). Several reasonably priced oil alternatives are looking good.