DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2014 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2014 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2014 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-28-2014, 01:44 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 3500 Dually 4x4
Trim Level: Limited, 8ft bed
Color: Deep Cherry Red
Engine: 2013-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 385hp 850lb/ft (Aisin ASC69RC Automatic)
Rep:24
2014 Limited 3500 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntergreen View Post
diesel prices are seasonal, the price goes up quite a bit in the winter as demand rises along with with heating fuel.
Maybe that's true in the northeast but here in Florida it doesn't change much. Gas prices are up and down like a yo-yo but diesel doesn't change much at all.
Old 05-28-2014, 01:52 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 3500 Dually 4x4
Trim Level: Limited, 8ft bed
Color: Deep Cherry Red
Engine: 2013-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 385hp 850lb/ft (Aisin ASC69RC Automatic)
Rep:24
2014 Limited 3500 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerGress View Post
I bought an ecodiesel a month ago. It's terrific.

Re. diesel prices. You have to get used to shopping a little harder. Diesel prices vary more than gas prices. Within easy range of my commute to work diesel is available from $3.73 to $4.15. The range of gas prices in the area is half that or a bit less.

Also, it's not necessarily reasonable to compare diesel prices exclusively to low octane gas. A lot of V8 guys towed with their truck or pushed the engine kind of hard and therefore used mid-grade gas. Or they had a tune on their truck that called for mid-grade. I can easily find diesel in my area for the same cost as mid-grade gas.

Re. mpg. It's amazing. Especially if you tow, because diesel engines handle larger loads so efficiently. I tow a 7400lb 24' enclosed trailer on a long roadtrip once/mo. I get 14 with the ecodiesel. With a modern gas V8, I'd get 8mpg. 9 with Ford's Ecoboost. On a 800mi road trip, the savings in fuel cost is enormous. My work commute is 12mi. about 2/3rds hwy so the truck barely has time to warm up. If I go easy on it I can get 28mpg on the work commute. Unbelievable.

Re. DEF. At Walmart or a truck stop it runs $2.50/gal. If it was any cheaper it'd be free. A complete non-issue.

Re. Expensive oil. The truth on that is still evolving. The really smart oil guys hang out at www.BobIsTheOilGuy.com (bitog). There's numerous ecodiesel discussions going on, complete with oil analysis and tribologists (oil engineers). Several reasonably priced oil alternatives are looking good.
I wish Florida had Georgia's cheaper diesel fuel tax. Georgia can be as much as 15 cents a gallon cheaper than Florida's cheapest diesel price.

The DEF at the Walmarts here in Florida is $11.99 for 2.5 gallons which comes out to almost $4.80 a gallon
Old 05-28-2014, 03:01 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Dark Red
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:16
RangerGress is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014 Limited 3500 View Post
I wish Florida had Georgia's cheaper diesel fuel tax. Georgia can be as much as 15 cents a gallon cheaper than Florida's cheapest diesel price.

The DEF at the Walmarts here in Florida is $11.99 for 2.5 gallons which comes out to almost $4.80 a gallon
SC is cheaper yet, so when I'm heading N into SC I fill up en route, having already scouted via the Web the cheapest diesel. I have a small aux tank and 2x 6gal jugs so I can carry >50gal. Over the course of the weekend race event I dump the 2x jugs into the aux tank and depending on the distance, can make it all the way home.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:44 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Crew Diesel 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Limited
Color: white
Rep:10
oilbelcher is on a distinguished road

don't forget the huge resale benefit. diesels are awesome at retaining more value vs gas engines. this alone can pay back the entire engine up-charge, then pocket the gas savings. besides the towing advantage, if you drive with a lead foot, you will really benefit. diesels hold more efficiency under load vs gas engines. so I can drive hard, and be penalized less. those that care anything about saving gas money will feel compelled to drive like a sissy on their gas engine. I can have fun with my diesel, hold more resale value. the 10,000 oil change interval is a real convenience. is the gas engine 10k, or 3k? never checked. if the hemi is 3k, then 3 oil changes = one diesel oil change, so about equal. if the hemi is 10k, then the diesel is more expensive to service the oil and filter. more oil choices should be available soon. Also, diesels are great for chip tuning, requiring little other mods to get a decent performance gain. lastly, the inverted HP / Torque curve can be fun, once you adapt your driving style. I just love the low end torque of diesels.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:50 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Crew Diesel 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Limited
Color: white
oilbelcher is on a distinguished road

some people spend thousands on various accessories and upgrades, then have concerns about spending an extra 10 on a filter or 50 on an oil change every 10k miles. I look at the diesel as an excellent upgrade/accessory that will pay for itself (gas savings plus resale value), and many grins as you ride that torque wave. if you are close on your breakeven analysis, then you obviously seriously considered/are considering the diesel for your use, and you'd likely later regret settling on the gas engine.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 dodge ram
Trim Level: longhorn larimie
Color: black
drumgene is on a distinguished road

I love my new 1500 eco-diesel. I have had it for 6 weeks and it is awesome!
Old 06-01-2014, 10:34 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram
Color: Silver
JRWFarm is on a distinguished road

I quickly got over the oil change shock and ordered a new Laramie on Thursday. Excited to get familiar with it when it comes.
Old 06-03-2014, 04:15 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 1500 EcoDiesel CrewCab
Color: Bright White
Snowpig2u is on a distinguished road

We went with the EcoDiesel for a few reasons, one being that the improved mileage may make a small difference in the future as an example for the kids. Once going, it pulls like a mule and with the 8 speed tranny, seems to be in its' torque band most of the time.

Diesel fuel in Colorado runs maybe .10 a gallon more than premium. DEF at the Truck stop is $2.79 per gallon, so perhaps $30.00 over 10,000 miles or so for it.

My old oil changes ran about $42.00 every 3K for K&N Filter and Royal Purple, so the oil change is cost is about the same.

Overall I am happy with my 23mpg. As they say though.....time will tell.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:46 PM

Vehicle: 2012 ram
Rep:117
Red-Stripe will become famous soon enoughRed-Stripe will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpig2u View Post
We went with the EcoDiesel for a few reasons, one being that the improved mileage may make a small difference in the future as an example for the kids. Once going, it pulls like a mule and with the 8 speed tranny, seems to be in its' torque band most of the time.

Diesel fuel in Colorado runs maybe .10 a gallon more than premium. DEF at the Truck stop is $2.79 per gallon, so perhaps $30.00 over 10,000 miles or so for it.

My old oil changes ran about $42.00 every 3K for K&N Filter and Royal Purple, so the oil change is cost is about the same.

Overall I am happy with my 23mpg. As they say though.....time will tell.
That's not an objective comparison.
The hemi doesn't require premium, so that's a bad comparison.
A new gas engine, hemi or otherwise doesn't need 3k oil changes. bad comparison there too.
And finally, you most likely aren't pricing K+N, and royal purple filters and oil for the diesel are you?

You guys who want a diesel, should just say so. There's nothing wrong with buying what you want. Trying to justify the decision to others by saying you did it to save a calculated mileage nickel, just makes you look like you're trying to justify something you feel guilty about.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:21 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I am buying a 2015 Ram Eco Diesel Quad Cab
Walmart sells 10w 30 Mobile One for $29.99 for a 5 quart jug
DEF at Truck Stops comes from a pump & is much cheaper bought that way
I drive about 20,000 miles in a average year
Diesel prices are about the same price as Mid Grade gasoline here in California, even cheaper in Yuma Arizona

Best of all, i just joined TreadLightly, so when i put in my order, i will be a Chrysler Affiliate & therefore my cost will be 1% below invoice price & i still get all of the available incentives
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle