DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-02-2014, 09:05 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram 8 Speed 3.92
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Peral
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:95
Jayincali will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjansen View Post
I don't disagree with that logic at all. The more air you can get in/out the better. Hence the reason for forced induction. The difference is that the "real fast guys" have a lot more mods than the average guy just looking to put a CAI on; maybe an exhaust as well. Comparing apples to oranges doesn't help anything.

Even with a heat shield I wouldn't consider that a CAI as it's still an open design. The stock system is not like that, it's completely closed in the engine bay. Same with an S&B or Volant intake. IMO the K&N and intakes like it are a short ram intake. Yes they may flow better but aren't always getting as cold of air as the stock intake. If you're building a race truck then that's not an issue. But for a daily driver that's not moving as fast and sitting in traffic quite often a closed design is better.

As far as the horsepower goes, putting aside the fact that it was done by K&N themselves, the pull starts at 2500 rpm. Again, the average guy using his truck as a daily driver isn't getting into that power range very often. At 1500-2000 rpm where the majority of guys are running their trucks 95% of the time there isn't going to be any gain.

While I don't disagree that air flow and getting as much of it as possible is a good thing, I don't want there to be any misconceptions that guys are gaining 17hp (or whatever the dyno sheet says) from idle all the way through the power range. It's not like that...
Nice read. Damn I hate these threads, cause I want an intake however other folks are saying the stock is just as good if you change the element. Although it may be good, I just don't think it's "as good".

The only real gains I felt was from the Vararam on my '11 along with a TB swap. After removing the Vararam and TB a few days before trading it in, I could feel the slushiness of not having it installed. Maybe I just think it made it faster to justify spending $500 on the set up, I don't know.
Sponsored links
Old 06-02-2014, 09:18 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: white
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:650
chefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to behold

these pcm's are finicky.. I remember when I first got my ramhammer, I could tell right away that it liked having more available air flow...but it wasn't till about 200 miles later that the pcm readjusted it's tables and really took advantage of the flow, the tone of the motor was different and it pulled much harder than the day before...
Old 06-02-2014, 09:23 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: sport
Color: white
Rep:10
blue ghost is on a distinguished road

I just finished putting in a K&N CAI, I have noticed a 1-2 mile per gallon increase in mileage, for HEMI which eats gas thats good. The sound is really nice too, as for horse power I don't now how to check that. It was an easy install, changed the fitting than K&N sent with the kit so I did not crimp the breather hose, and that was all that was needed.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:48 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 5.7L V8 Hemi
Trim Level: Express
Color: Black
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:14
locapitano is on a distinguished road

Very good point Brandon, then again I live in Florida and don't think cold air is a possibility at all as it is hahaha.

I'm going to look in to the two you mentioned. I basically want something that's going to improve the air input and in turn add a little bit of a deeper sound to the engine and give me a little extra push when passing someone at which point I will possibly be at that 2500rpm.
Old 06-03-2014, 01:19 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram
Color: White
wr986 is on a distinguished road

WOW,
Lots of good points and I understand the logic.
I may be getting more confused as we go

Seriously its a lot to think about and it makes sense when they dyno a rig at a rpm that's typically not used.

A daily driver with a little more pep is all I'm after. Gas mileage is not a issue it doesn't get out of town much since I have a company car for everyday. this is all pleasure driving and not much towing.
Old 06-03-2014, 05:56 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 RAM 1500 Laramie Crew Cab
Trim Level: Laramie W/Flare
Color: Mineral Gray w/Metalic Silver Trim
jack4656 is on a distinguished road

I installed a K&N series 63 CAI several months ago. I DO NOT have any way of measuring whether there was actually any increase in HP. Absolutely NO increase in MPG (none), maybe because I do have a heavy foot? All I am able to go by are my senses.

Opinions are just like Ass Holes, everyone has one. This is mine…..

There are TWO things which I did notice;

1st, it does make a big difference in the way the engine sounds. A more Bellow sound, more like, what you would expect a HEMI to sound like (that’s MY opinion). Considering the size of the air filter, it must breathe better. Why it’s called CAI I will never understand. The K&N is still sucking air from within the motor compartment.

If I had it to do over again, I would do a lot more research (probably end up spending a lot more $) and find one that pulls in air from the outside.

2nd; the price sure does leave a hole in your wallet for what you’re getting. PLUS, you still have to maintain the air filter periodically. It must be cleaned & re-oiled with K&N products (they got you).

Is it worth it?

The main thing is to ENJOY!!!

____ Click HERE to see Photos of Jacks Toy.____
TruXedo Lo Pro QT Tonneau Cover, Putco Crossrail Side Bed Rails, Two (2) DeeZee tailgate assist, K&N CAI, Husky Liners X-act Contour Floor Liners, Husky Liners Mud Guards, DashMat Ultimat Dashboard Cover, AVS Windflector, AVS Bugflector II, WeatherTech Side Window Deflector, Cabin Air Filter, DRL Mod., Putco 3rd Smoke Brake Light,

Last edited by jack4656; 06-03-2014 at 06:10 AM.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:01 AM

You're talking an extra 200$ for one that sucks the air from the outside... In comparison to the K&N do you think the others are worth that extra $200?

I need to win the lotto because Bed lining, exhaust, CAI, and bed cover are going to make me go broke! lol
Old 06-03-2014, 06:45 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 RAM 1500 Laramie Crew Cab
Trim Level: Laramie W/Flare
Color: Mineral Gray w/Metalic Silver Trim
jack4656 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by locapitano View Post
You're talking an extra 200$ for one that sucks the air from the outside... In comparison to the K&N do you think the others are worth that extra $200?

I need to win the lotto because Bed lining, exhaust, CAI, and bed cover are going to make me go broke! lol

Since you ask these questions just minutes after my POST, I will assume your directing the question to me (if not, I apologize in advance).

As I stated, the ONLY thing I feel as though I gained from MY K&N CAI was the sound. Considering the amount of $ I did spend for it, I am not convinced I got my money’s worth. Knowing what I now know, yes, I would purchase something else which DOES pull air in from the outside. Will it give me better performance? Probably not....

BTW; I also purchased another K&N filter so that I can have a CLEAN spare. To recondition the one which is ON the vehicle will take a couple of hours after removing it, before its ready to be re-installed. I didn't feel comfortable having a vehicle with-out an Air Filter. These are some of the things that come to mind AFTER making the initial purchase. Needed to purchase the K&N Filter Cleaner and Oil also, combined, that was another $100.00 +-.

You are a young fellow and you have many more vehicles to purchase in your life time. What you stated is true, you may want to wait until you win the lotto before purchasing a CAI.

Go with the flow; if your wallet will allow, go for it, if not, then just sit back and wait. A CAI is NOT worth going into debt for, trust me on that.

Having a FORUM for other people to READ is a PLUS. You are able to hear/see what other people have done and WHY. You can take that information and run with it.

TruXedo Lo Pro QT Tonneau Cover, Putco Crossrail Side Bed Rails, Two (2) DeeZee tailgate assist, K&N CAI, Husky Liners X-act Contour Floor Liners, Husky Liners Mud Guards, DashMat Ultimat Dashboard Cover, AVS Windflector, AVS Bugflector II, WeatherTech Side Window Deflector, Cabin Air Filter, DRL Mod., Putco 3rd Smoke Brake Light,

Last edited by jack4656; 06-03-2014 at 07:07 AM.
Old 06-03-2014, 02:54 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack4656 View Post
Since you ask these questions just minutes after my POST, I will assume your directing the question to me (if not, I apologize in advance).

As I stated, the ONLY thing I feel as though I gained from MY K&N CAI was the sound. Considering the amount of $ I did spend for it, I am not convinced I got my money’s worth. Knowing what I now know, yes, I would purchase something else which DOES pull air in from the outside. Will it give me better performance? Probably not....

BTW; I also purchased another K&N filter so that I can have a CLEAN spare. To recondition the one which is ON the vehicle will take a couple of hours after removing it, before its ready to be re-installed. I didn't feel comfortable having a vehicle with-out an Air Filter. These are some of the things that come to mind AFTER making the initial purchase. Needed to purchase the K&N Filter Cleaner and Oil also, combined, that was another $100.00 +-.

You are a young fellow and you have many more vehicles to purchase in your life time. What you stated is true, you may want to wait until you win the lotto before purchasing a CAI.

Go with the flow; if your wallet will allow, go for it, if not, then just sit back and wait. A CAI is NOT worth going into debt for, trust me on that.

Having a FORUM for other people to READ is a PLUS. You are able to hear/see what other people have done and WHY. You can take that information and run with it.

Yes I was directing the question towards you, and thank you for your insight! That's exactly why I joined the forums. To be able to learn from everyone else instead of having to learn from my own mistakes lol.
Old 06-03-2014, 03:31 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500
Trim Level: Laramie QC
Color: Blue Streak Pearlcoat
Rep:25
dleininger is on a distinguished road

On my Charger R/T I went through hundreds of dollars on 2 different CAI's (Mopar and LMI), but for the RAM I just threw in a K&N drop in filter and called it a day after reading tons of threads on this subject.