DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 4.7-liter V8 engine - 310 horsepower, 330 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-02-2014, 05:48 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big horn edition
Color: blue
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
gab426 is on a distinguished road
Default Loud tick comes and goes....

For the past month Ive had this annoying tick coming from what sees like the driver side engine. It doesnt start til after about 5 or 10 mins into the drive and gets progressively louder. Sometimes it will tick for a few mins and then go away. It never does it on start up only after a few mins of driving. It's an '06 4.7l and Ive used Royal Purple 10w30 since Ive owned it. ( about a yr now and 10k miles) .
Thanks for any help on this matter.
Sponsored links
Old 06-08-2014, 01:58 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 4X4 Crew CAb
Trim Level: LoneStar Rambox
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:74
ghorn will become famous soon enough

Royal Purple.
Do ya think Ram ever used that stuff when they designed it...??
Old 07-12-2014, 01:35 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Rep:36
arrownine1 is on a distinguished road

Dang......I always love these types of threads because they present a great deal of entertainment for me. Unfortunately, only one guy had a comment and it was based in sarcasm because he probably didn't have an answer for you. The Dodge 4.7 liter engine has a problem with the front tensioners and timing chains. For what ever reasons everyone wants to give you, it basically comes down to one simple truth. The hydraulic tensioners, there are two of them, seem to loose their prime and result in the timing chain slapping on the plastic guards. Everyone likes to blame this on oil sludging from lack of maintenance but I have seen it time and again on vehicle that have less than 80k with full synthetic oil changes ever 5k. (Mine being one of them) For some reason the oil ports aren't able to produce enough pressure at all times to keep the tensioners primed. I have taken these off at least 50 trucks over the years and only one time have I ever found any debris in the strainer screen in the tensioner port. What I have found is that over half the tensions me or my techs have removed have evidence of severe heat scorching on the surface that bolts to the engine. Additionally, as the oil enters the tensioner from the engine ports, it exits in some small amount the front of the tensioner for purposes of lubricating the chain guides. I have never pulled a single 4.7 timing cover that didn't show signs of severe wear to the chain guides from lack of lubrication and chain slack. I have changed out the entire timing sets, (gears, chains, tensioners & guides), on at least two dozen of them and for a while the tick goes away, but inevitably it always returns after about 15-20k. I have tried timing sets from at least four different aftermarket companies and even all MOPAR components but it has little impact on the end result, which is returned chain slap at 15-20k. I do know this. Several aftermarket engine remanufacturers are marketing engines that they claim have solved this problem by oversizing oil ports in the heads, a modified piston design to control cylinder head temperatures and re-designed tensioners, but I have not had the pleasure of being able to evaluate one of these engines after instillation. I do know that I have seen these engines put on a ton of mileage with this condition present. While I realize this doesn't give you anything usable as far as a solution is concerned, I hope it will help you understand what your problem is.
Old 07-12-2014, 01:54 PM

Vehicle: 2013 RCSB Ram
Trim Level: ST
Rep:460
Hornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of light

Does this problem still apply to the later 4.7's Arrownine1,after the re-design of the heads.
Specifically a 13 model,lol
Normally Ghorn's posts are somewhat helpfull Arrow, he must be having a bad day.
I'm also thinking he's not a big fan of synthetic oils.
Rick
Old 07-12-2014, 02:43 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge ram 1500
Rep:36
arrownine1 is on a distinguished road

I have not seen this in any of the newer 4.7 HO engines used in 2009 and newer vehicles. These are easily identifiable because they use 16 spark plugs instead of 8. I am assuming that the new head design utilizes a different piston and oil ports. I do know that they produce much lower cylinder head temperatures. It also uses totally different tensioners.
Old 07-12-2014, 05:34 PM

Vehicle: 2013 RCSB Ram
Trim Level: ST
Rep:460
Hornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of light

Thank-you for the info Arrow,that takes a load off the worry'ing end.
I've been running Redline in mine since the 1500 mile mark.
Would there be any benefit to running a colder thermostat,to try to bring some of the cylinder head/oil temps down slightly.
Rick
Old 07-16-2014, 02:12 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 4.7
Color: Silver
Rep:10
Punisher1500 is on a distinguished road

I have a 2010, and yes. These new 4.7 designs have the same problem. And even after replacement, it still comes back.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:53 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

The new 4.7 definitely does not have this issue. I somewhat question if the old 4.7 had it either, but it is definitely more prominent in them. Punisher you don't know what you're talking about I just read a few post by you all of them with really incorrect and misleading information for others to absorb.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.