DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Heating & Cooling

Notices

Heating & Cooling 3rd Gen Dodge Ram Heating & Cooling Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-04-2014, 01:42 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Grey
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
BTrahan is on a distinguished road
Unhappy 2005 Hemi Blend Door Question

Can the Blend Door affect the cooling of the A/C of it is broken?

Here's the basic run down of what I'm dealing with:

About 3 years ago my Blend Door broke and I removed it. The A/C and Heater have been working fine up until now. Now the A/C is blowing cold and hot off and on. It seems to work okay when the truck is moving, but when I stop at a light or get stuck in traffic it seems like the A/C system wants to cut off or shut down. When it's blowing cold, I'm getting a temp reading of 55-60 degrees. When it starts to fade the temp gets up towards 85 degrees. I just added refrigerant recently which helped with the Cooling temp, but it still sounds like it's going out when I stop or slow down. I have loud exhaust so you can hear my engine Rev down and back up when idle, and you can also see the Revs on the dash go down and then back up every 30 seconds or so...

I'm scratching my head on this one. Can it be that the Blend Door is letting in too much heat into the system ( I do live in Houston, Texas)? But then again, it did seem to work fine for a long time after it broke.

I'm also experiencing cold on the drivers side and cool to warm air on the passengers side from time to time....

Thanks in advance!!!
Branden
Sponsored links
Old 06-04-2014, 06:39 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 08
Rep:12
ucanthngwme is on a distinguished road

I was told mine is a possible blend door issue as well, but mine is a little different. It blows cold only on the passengers side. Drivers side blows warm/hot.
There are a ton of posts on here with the exact issue yours is having. A good percentage of them remedied it with just adding freon. There is a lot of guessing on here about the blend door being the problem when it is doing as yours- cold drivers side/hot passengers side. Look up heatertreater. He sales a pretty interesting solution.
...but, you have once added freon and it made yours cool again. If you had to add freon, you have a leak somewhere. The freon never leaves the system, unless there is a leak.

Wish I could tell you someone found the problem for sure and the conclusion of their problem, but most people don't post back up what the fix was!
I'm taking my truck in Friday to a local auto a/c shop to get it fixed. I'm in Texas also. The heat is already too much to go on with my a/c crapping out on me.

Last edited by ucanthngwme; 06-04-2014 at 06:41 PM.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:10 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 08
Rep:12
ucanthngwme is on a distinguished road

I'd guess low on freon. These trucks do some weird stuff when they are low.
...but, if you are low on freon, you have a leak somewhere.
Best bet is to take it in to a company you can trust.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:55 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Grey
BTrahan is on a distinguished road

Well, There was (2) issues I think I was having. (1) the short cycling I was having when I came to a stop or slowed down was the fact that I had too much pressure or Freon in the system. What was happening when I put a gauge on it was the pressure would spike and go back down and it would keep repeating this as long as I had the A/C on. Come to find out, I put too much coolant into the system (Didn't pay attention to the gauge the first time). (2) I did have a leak. Fortunately for me it wasn't a big one and was remedied by a can of coolant/sealant... I was able to let some of the pressure out, and my truck now has the proper amount of coolant/pressure (Using a gauge this time with a vent temp of around 55 to 60 degrees.

But, at the same time it's only the Driver's side that is truly Cold. The passenger side is cool, but not cold. Which does lead me to believe that it may be the blend door. Hopefully I can find some time to get in there and replace it in the near future and follow up with everyone on how it works out.

So for now, I have a properly working A/C system again going into another TX summer... Which is a huge relief...
Old 07-01-2014, 04:29 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Sport quad cab
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Rep:360
starquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nice

I was just getting ready to say after reading your post that these trucks are sensitive to the amount of coolant in the system....both too little and too much. But it sounds like you figured that out already.

On another note, BTrahan, are you referring to your blend door or your recirc door? The blend door is in the lower portion of the dash closer to the center and directs airflow either to or away from the heater core. The recirc door is located on the far passenger side and controls whether air goes into the system from the cab or from outside. It commonly breaks and is removed leading to outside ambient air being able to flow not only into the system but directly into the truck on the passenger side. I would think if you had removed your blend door you would have warm or hot air all the time as the air would always be moving over or through the heater core.
06-08 chrome clads w/33" Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus, Mopar tailgate spoiler, debadged door trim & tailgate emblems, 13" antenna, LED dome & maps, Magnaflow 22" SI/DO, 18% tint, "HEMI" hood spears, VHT tinted tails & third brake light, Lamin-x optic blue fogs, leveled w/McGaughys 2" drop shackles.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:46 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Charcoal
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
ponchota is on a distinguished road

The recirc. blend door is a major P.I.T.A to replace but it's def. the easiest to visually inspect. All you have to do it drop the blower motor and you can look straight up to the blend door. Mine was broken and it blew to fix, but it's done. Go with Dorman, it's a far superior part over stock.
I've been trying to fix my heat for the past 4yrs. just discovered recirc door was busted. Even with that fixed, all other doors work properly too I still have poor to no heat. Dodges whole HVAC system is temperamental. I'd have a better chance of finding Bigfoot than to figure out what's wrong.